Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > BBeB/LRF Books

Notices

Old 07-06-2007, 12:32 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Collins, Wilkie: Basil. v1. 06 July 07

Here's another great mystery/sensation novel by Wilkie Collins.

Here's a long quote:

"This is Collins' first "sensation" novel, and while it cannot compare with his mature works, it shows many of the features that he later developed. It is also interesting in how it dares toy with sexual passion (buried however far under Victorian euphemism and misdirection).

"It tells the story of Basil, a young man of the upper middle class, who falls instantly in love with a young lady who he meets by accident on an omnibus. She is from the lower class, her father being a tradesman, well beneath Basil's "station in life". Nevertheless, Basil pursues her and secretly marries her, on the understanding with her father that for one year they must remain apart (and reading between the lines, celibate).

"It all comes to pieces when Basil discovers her passion for an employee of her father. Basil follows them, and in a (for the times) steamy scene, overhears them having sex in a cheap hotel. Basil in a fury attacks her lover and greviously disfigures him.

"The rest of the novel concentrates on the lover's thirst for revenge and pursuit of Basil.

"As I say, not a mature novel, but well worth reading anyway."

I hope you enjoy it. (I haven't mentioned this in awhile, but let me know if there are any snafu problems with the books I'm transcribing, such as formatting issues, horrendous errrors, etc.)

Don
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: lrf Collins, Wilkie - Basil.lrf (399.5 KB, 1049 views)
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote