Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 05-13-2018, 05:36 PM   #826
pstjmack
Connoisseur
pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Android tablet
doubleshuffle, no worries - I didn't know the Valancourt edition existed. Certainly not quibbling at that price - bought already.
pstjmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 03:32 AM   #827
Araucaria
Bibliophile
Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW2, Moon Pro on Lenovo tablet
Hadrian the Seventh

Hi Doubleshuffle

Thanks for giving Rolfe's Hadrian the Seventh a go.

Is it perhaps worthwhile posting your unfinished version on here, so someone else could have a go and finish it?

I first read the book a good thirty years ago, and I have a Chatto & Windus 1959 edition.

What makes the book particularly entertaining is that many of the characters are not-at-all-thinly disguised portraits of Rolfe's acquaintances. One hesitates to use the word "friends", as Rolfe always and unerringly bit the hand that fed him, and many people who tried to help him later fell victim to his vitriol-filled pen.

There are biographies later than the classic AJA Symons "Quest for Corvo" (published 1934), that go into the details of his life that Symons was unable to include. In the thirties many of the libelled characters were still alive, and the details of Rolfe's unconventional lifestyle could only be alluded to rather than described.

I too have bought the Valancourt Books edition.
Araucaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2018, 03:54 AM   #828
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Araucaria View Post
Is it perhaps worthwhile posting your unfinished version on here, so someone else could have a go and finish it?
Maybe. But, unfinished as it is, it would still need some cleaning up before I could thrust it on someone else.

Anyway, if someone should post here and say they would like to have a go, I'll gladly put it up.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 03:11 PM   #829
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I've been looking for a free PD edition of Alexander Dumas The Pale Lady, but can't find one. As he died well over 70 years ago, I was wondering if there's a reason why this is not in the public domain; the translation, maybe.
Just out of curiosity, can anyone shine any light on this matter?
Thanks.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 06:30 AM   #830
Araucaria
Bibliophile
Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW2, Moon Pro on Lenovo tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I've been looking for a free PD edition of Alexander Dumas The Pale Lady, but can't find one. As he died well over 70 years ago, I was wondering if there's a reason why this is not in the public domain; the translation, maybe.
Just out of curiosity, can anyone shine any light on this matter?
Thanks.
I think that's because the work now published as a novelette under the title The Pale Lady originally formed the chapters from 12 onwards of the larger Dumas "collection" A Thousand and One Ghosts.

The Scheherazade-type book is available here in a German version but not an English one (unless I've missed it). The full french text in a nice format is available free from the Canadian website www.bibebook.com.

The English translation of The Pale Lady (there's a Kobo books preview) starts thus:
Chapter 1
Among the Carpathians

I am a Pole by birth, a native of Sandomir, a land where legends become articles of faith, and where we believe in our family traditions as firmly as in the Gospel – perhaps more firmly. Not one of our castles but has its spectre, not one of our cottages but owns its familiar spirit.

The French text of Chapter 12 of A Thousand and One Ghosts starts:

Chapitre 12
Les monts Carpathes

Je suis Polonaise, née à Sandomir, c’est-à-dire dans un pays où les légendes deviennent des articles de foi, où nous croyons à nos traditions de famille autant, plus peut-être qu’à l’Évangile. Pas un de nos châteaux qui n’ait son spectre, pas une de nos chaumières qui n’ait son esprit familier.

I hope this is some help.

[Edit] I think the larger Dumas book also appeared in English under the title Horror at Fontenay - you might try looking for that instead.

Last edited by Araucaria; 10-29-2018 at 06:36 AM.
Araucaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2018, 07:23 PM   #831
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Araucaria: thank you for the information, I will look for Horror at Fontenay.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:59 PM   #832
BookCat
C L J

I was looking for some Henry Fielding in epub (to convert to AZW3) but he's only there in German. I don't speak German.

Would any one fancy formatting some of his books please? I was thinking of starting with his shorter novels then eventually reading Tom Jones.

Thanks.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:49 PM   #833
BookCat
C L J

Does anyone feel like making an illustrated version of Letters of a Woman Homesteader in epub (for easy conversion to azw3)?
I've just bought a copy from girlebooks for .99p, it would be nice to have one in the library, assuming the illustrations are public domain.

Thanks.
Old 05-20-2019, 02:07 AM   #834
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You tell us - who is the illustrator? When did that person die?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 02:20 AM   #835
BookCat
C L J

The illustrator of the Girlebook edition was N.C. Wyeth. Died in 1945.
Old 05-20-2019, 02:24 AM   #836
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Fine to have in our library, in that case.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 01:02 PM   #837
BookCat
C L J

Me again. Just thought I'd point to a deficit in the library.
While watching a Victober youtube video (obviously about reading Victorian lit in October) I heard about Mrs Henry Woods' "East Lynne".

"Oh," methinks, "I wonder if it's in the mobileread library?"

So I came here and looked first in the epubs. No luck. Then in all formats. Although there were other novels by her, there was no "East Lynne" so I had to get a raw, unedited, epub from Project Gutenberg! I've now converted this to azw3 for my paperwhite.

I'm just pointing this out so that those who know how to make great copy-edited and formatted versions of raw Project Gutenberg books might consider doing this one.

(Before you say I should do it, I've offered epub --> azw3 conversion in order to replace the mobi's, but no one was interested.)

Mrs Henry Wood died in February 1887.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:36 AM   #838
iwayasu
iwayasu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 3
Hello I'm new to MobileReads here, so please feel free to correct me if I'm doing anything wrong.
I was wondering if anyone could upload a copy of Margaret Mead's Coming of Age in Somoa.
It was published in 1971 and as far as I checked it's copyright was not renewed after 28 years, so it should be in the public domain.
iwayasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 09:44 AM   #839
iwayasu
iwayasu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 3
Correction:
it was published in 1928. I believe it should be in PD although it does not meet life+70
iwayasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 10:23 AM   #840
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
It might be PD in the US. But it doesn't matter, MobileRead follows life+70, so no.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote