Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-28-2020, 07:32 AM   #1
LittleMissS
Enthusiast
LittleMissS began at the beginning.

Device: none
p> displaying in text of epub made in Sigil

Part of what I assume to be a paragraph tag is displaying in the epub I made in Sigil.
I see p> often, through the document.

However, I don't see all the code in the document (which would lead me to assume that it was simply as case that I was in some sort of combined book and code view, and that the code would not be visible to readers of the epub unless they selected a view to see the code.

I don't want to remove all the incidents of p> unless I know that is what I must do.

What do I do, please?
LittleMissS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 07:41 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you can post a cose snippit, then we can see what needs to be done.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 07:49 AM   #3
LittleMissS
Enthusiast

I don't know how to find or paste a code snippit from an ePub. I took a screen shot but cannot find where it was saved!

This is part of the the epub document pasted from Calibre (which I have not used since I installed it, so don't know how to use yet).

Let us do a recap of what you have learned in this chapter.

You receive information via your senses.
Your filters then determine your internal representation of that event.
It is your internal representation that puts you in a certain state and this, in turn, creates your physiology.
The state in which you find yourselves will determine your behaviour or reaction to what happens around you.
p>*

*EXERCISE*

p>*

p>*

p>*

Appreciating Your Own Values and Those of Others

Write down some of the values and beliefs you have.

For example, things that you want to experience and have? Success? Freedom? Adventure? Security?

Last edited by LittleMissS; 03-28-2020 at 08:00 AM.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:20 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It could be that you have your code looking like...

<p>p>*</p>
<p>p>*</p>
<p>p>*</p>

That would give you the look you are seeing instead of...

The code you want instead of three lines is...

<p class="center">* * *</p>

in CSS...

.center {
margin-top: 0.8em;
margin-bottom: 0.8em;
text-align: center;
text-indent: 0;
}
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:55 AM   #5
LittleMissS
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

<p>p>*</p>
<p>p>*</p>
<p>p>*</p>

in CSS...

.center {
margin-top: 0.8em;
margin-bottom: 0.8em;
text-align: center;
text-indent: 0;
}

In Sigil in code view I have just used Find (in Rengex mode) to look for incidents of <p>p>*</o></p But, it says No Matches found.

So I then looked for >p and see the following, a number to times
<p>p> *</o></p>

I assume the >p between <p> and *</o></p> is surplus to requirements and the issue Is that likely / definitely so?

I am not sure why I can see an emoji inserted within the code above when I preview my reply to your reply! Would that be in the code in Sigil / epub - or only in here, maybe because I used the bold?
Old 03-28-2020, 10:24 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
<p>p> is clearly damaged code.
Someone probably did a S&R with a really messed R

I would try and fix the <p>p> and then go from there and see what other bog there is
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 10:50 AM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Broken tags will most likely appear as html entities in Code View.

You'll probably need to search for p&gt; to find the broken tags (that sigil had nothing to do with creating, btw).
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 11:23 AM   #8
LittleMissS
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Broken tags will most likely appear as html entities in Code View.

You'll probably need to search for p&gt; to find the broken tags (that sigil had nothing to do with creating, btw).
If by 'p&gt' you mean to do so in Sigil Find, then I have just done that and it says 'No Matches found'.
Old 03-28-2020, 12:11 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMissS View Post
If by 'p&gt' you mean to do so in Sigil Find, then I have just done that and it says 'No Matches found'.
Did you highlight the bad code, then Ctrl-F ?
BTW I would include the <p>
then replace just that. That avoids snagging any real >
Old 03-28-2020, 12:44 PM   #10
LittleMissS
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
No. I pasted code into the Find facility, set to Regex. I assume that does the same job but is part of Sigil? I was getting it saying ' No matches found '
for
>p

<o></po>

<o:

<p>p>*</p>

When I tried to paste in

<p>p>*</p>
<p>p>*</p>
<p>p>*</p>

(as shown )...

Quote:

<p>p>*</p>
<p>p>*</p>
<p>p>*</p>

It simply lined them in a line <p>p>*</p><p>p>*</p><p>p>*</p>

and also came back as 'No matches found'.

Now I reopen and try again, I am getting that there is an error on line 62 as follows...

<p><!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shape id="Picture_x0020_3"
Old 03-28-2020, 12:50 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Use Normal mode and only the first part
* is a wild card in Normal that would match a whole lot

<p>p>
replace with
<p>
Old 03-28-2020, 01:03 PM   #12
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMissS View Post
Now I reopen and try again, I am getting that there is an error on line 62 as follows...

I don't know how you generated the initial .html file, but you might want to dump it and:

1. Save the original manuscript as a .docx file.
2. Convert it with Calibre to an epub file.

I can pretty much guarantee you that you'll get fewer error messages, because the Calibre docx-to-epub converter generally produces standard-compliant epub files.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 01:21 PM   #13
LittleMissS
Enthusiast

Because I am somewhat dysphraxic it takes me a long time to type, scroll, copy and paste., etc I get timed out an have to log back in. The my typing is lost, or more messages come in.

So excuse me if what I paste is has been answered whilst I have been typing. Thankfully I copied it in case of timing out

Psting now..

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
No. I pasted code into the Find facility, set to Regex. I assume that does the same job but is part of Sigil? I was getting it saying ' No matches found '
for
>p

<o></po>

<o:

<p>p>*</p>

When I tried to paste in

<p>p>*</p>
<p>p>*</p>
<p>p>*</p>

(as shown )...

Quote:

<p>p>*</p>
<p>p>*</p>
<p>p>*</p>

It simply lined them in a line <p>p>*</p><p>p>*</p><p>p>*</p>

and also came back as 'No matches found'.

I don't know if it is relevant, but part way through all this hassle, I realised that I still had the ToC that was in the Word paperback version that I am using to make the ePub. I had forgotten the remove the ToC before pasting the content from Word. So, as it had taken me 20 mins to scroll to select lots of code, I didn't want to start again. Instead, I went into the code and removed what I assumed to be the ToC code (just a line or two). But I had problems before then anyway.

Perhaps I will have to start again tomorrow when I am less stressed!

So far, code I have either deleted or swapped has been
about 700 lines of a hgue bock of code following Cubbon Sigil video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_Z8aQeEMmg

Also (following his video) I have searched for the following with the Find box in regex mode :
<p[^>]*> Replaced with <p>
<span[^>]*> Replaced with nothing
</span> Replaced with nothing
<v:[^> Replaced with nothing
</v[^>]*> Replaced with nothing
<!^>]*> Replaced with nothing
width=”[^>]*” Replaced with nothing
*</p> Replaced with space
<p>*</p> Replaced with nothing
V:[^>]* Replaced with I deleted manually

(some of them came back as No matches found -I assume this to mean that there were no incidences). Is that so?

Then - as per online advice elsewhere, I also searched for the following codes using the Doc with the doc with Find Regex:

<o></po>
<o:

<p><b> </b></p>

Then I tried the suggestions on here.

I hope my having put all this here hasn't made it as confusing for you as it is for me!!

Do you know if there is an extensive list of code to search for and swap / remove?

I thought the code in Rob C's video was enough, but it seems not!
Old 03-28-2020, 01:39 PM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Please tell me you're not blindly applying regex Find & Replaces gleaned from an online video to an entire book's worth of html.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 02:13 PM   #15
LittleMissS
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Please tell me you're not blindly applying regex Find & Replaces gleaned from an online video to an entire book's worth of html.
Ha ha! I hope not. I sensed that Rob C had learned from his efforts. A year ago an ePub and Mobi from a Word doc, 9 time longer, was successfully generated following the video.

An IT savvy friend followed the video and thought it seemed fine. Though, he (like me a year ago) had never heard of Sigil and had never made an ebook.

For some reason, he could scroll and select all the thousands of lines of code to delete in a few seconds, after I had I gave up after 10 mins.
He is not dyspraxic and his laptop is better.

He is going to do the updated 316 page Word file of that document from a year ago, in Sigil when he gets time but has so many other priorities. So I cannot now ask him to do these two shorter documents. 86 and 72 pages.