Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-14-2020, 01:41 PM   #1
Lparsons21
Zealot
Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 4
No computer - how do you get ebooks?

Excuse the title as I couldn’t figure out what to call this. Currently I have no computer and no real need for one. What I do have is a slew of tablets of various kinds.

Currently I get my ebooks for free or purchase via a web browser on my ipad and save them to my Google Drive, then use Google’s app on my e-ink device. Works well, but it just seems there should be a way to do it all on my e-ink device. But if there is, I haven’t figured it out.

Tried with a browser on the e-ink device, that really sucks! Almost unusable on many sites, including Baen Books. Is there any browser that works better on e-ink?

A little guidance would be very welcome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Lparsons21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 02:45 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Sorry, but web browsing on an eInk Reader is going to be a poor experience. Best to set it all up using a tablet. However, you could get a Windows tablet that would help you tremendously with your eBooks. I have a Surface Pro 2 tablet that's runs a full Windows 10 and I can run 64-bit Calibre on it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 02:55 PM   #3
Lparsons21
Zealot
Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the feedback. I’ve got a Surface Pro 4 but don’t really want or need Calibre. It would be overkill as most of my reading is either with Kindle Unlimited or scribd.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 01-14-2020, 03:15 PM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lparsons21 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I’ve got a Surface Pro 4 but don’t really want or need Calibre. It would be overkill as most of my reading is either with Kindle Unlimited or scribd.

Two possibilities:

1- Surface tablets are computers and they have USB ports. So you can connect the ereader to it and transfer the file as from any other PC.

2- Assuming you have a Kindle reader to go with Kindle Unlimited, the ereader can directly access KU. You just need WiFi.

Quote:

Use your Amazon account to borrow up to 10 eligible Kindle Unlimited titles at a time. Kindle Unlimited titles display a badge in the Kindle Store for easy identification. Access borrowed titles from your Amazon device or Kindle reading app, even while traveling.

If you haven't tried Kindle Unlimited before, you can sign up for a free trial. At the end of your free trial, you're automatically upgraded to a monthly paid subscription plan.

To use Kindle Unlimited, you must have an Amazon account with a current, valid payment method and you must have 1-Click enabled. To sign up, manage or cancel your subscription, go to Kindle Unlimited.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201550630

Either way you should be good to go.

Last edited by fjtorres; 01-14-2020 at 03:18 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 03:33 PM   #5
Lparsons21
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Two possibilities:

1- Surface tablets are computers and they have USB ports. So you can connect the ereader to it and transfer the file as from any other PC.

2- Assuming you have a Kindle reader to go with Kindle Unlimited, the ereader can directly access KU. You just need WiFi.
Thanks. For whatever reason I hadn’t really thought about the Surface. Probably because I don’t use it much any more. I’ll have to see if it is even still charged up!

As to KU, wasn’t really thinking about it in my question. More directed for those few books I either buy or get free from various sources that are DRM free.

Old 01-14-2020, 03:55 PM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Maybe this is just as complicated, or can't get done...

Since they are DRM free, download them on the iPad, email them to yourself, on your eink device, use the email client to open the attached ebook.

I'm assuming your eink e-reader is a eink tablet since you mention using the Google app?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 04:14 PM   #7
Lparsons21
Zealot

Yes, I use a Nova Pro for some of my reading and I like their native ereader app.

Mailing it would be doable as I have done that in the past with my Kindle app/reader, but not less onerous that saving to Google Drive and then getting them from there I think.

It seems that getting the books directly from the Nova Pro won’t work well at all since it is so hard to use a browser effectively on it.

Old 01-14-2020, 04:58 PM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
I have an iPad running iPadOS 13 (and Lightning USB3 Camera adapter). Was pretty giddy that I could now copy ebooks via USB to the Kobo and Kindle using the Files app.

Afaik, this has been an option on Android for a long time (USB OTG).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 05:08 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lparsons21 View Post
Given that you have a Surface Pro 4, you have a computer and you can do anything you need to on your SP4. Problem solved.
Old 01-14-2020, 05:40 PM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
If you download the book to your iPad, you can copy it to your Kindle using Lightning to USB adapter (‘camera connection kit’) & the USB cable you use to charge Kindle with. When you plug the kindle in, it should go into USB mode and it will show up in Files app and you can copy stuff to Kindle’s /documents folder. Then just unplug the cable.

I have copied update .bin files over that way as well from my iPad and iPhone.

The other way (with Kindle app on iOS) is to Share the ebook to Kindle. Type Title and Author, check the box to store in cloud, and then you can download it to Kindle over WiFi after it shows up there.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 06:34 PM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I have an iPad running iPadOS 13 (and Lightning USB3 Camera adapter). Was pretty giddy that I could now copy ebooks via USB to the Kobo and Kindle using the Files app.

Afaik, this has been an option on Android for a long time (USB OTG).
I've attached all sorts of things via OTG. Even hard drives.
Both on Android and Winpads.
Simple, effective, and the adapters are single-digit cheap.

Some even allow external power for USB-powered devices.
Makes phones much more useful, too.

Doesn't get enough attention.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 07:23 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Why make it more difficult? Just use your Surface.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:51 AM   #13
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
It's even possible to download from Gutenberg on an Android phone or Tablet and then using a USB2Go (OTG) to USB host adaptor (dumb $3 plug or cable) connect almost any ereader as external storage and copy over the ebook.
You might need to add a 3rd party File manager on some phones / tablets. Also then use a USB HDD to backup the phone/tablet. You might need a Y cable so the HDD isn't powered from the phone. Or use a powered USB Hub. I've used a hub to connect mouse, keyboard, ereader and USB HDD on an old Sony Ericsson phone, one of the last with that branding

You can install Calibre on x86 or x86-64 tablets running Windows or Linux. I can't imagine using an ereader without Calibre nor buying ebooks without removing DRM and doing backups, otherwise you are practically renting.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:21 AM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Ebooks (DRM free) are just files. You seem to be making it more complicated than it is.

If both devices allow Blutooth transfers, you even have that option to move from 1 device to another.

Calibre is for folk who want to manage their collection or do conversions.
If Fibber McGee's closet method works for you
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 11:43 AM   #15
Lparsons21
Zealot

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. From reading all of them my current method of downloading the books to my Google Drive while using my ipad or other LCD type tablet and then using the Google Drive app on my Nova Pro to get them on the Nova is no more or less of a hassle than the various methods given here. Especially considering that in general I don’t download these book more than about 3-4 times a month, one book at a time. The rest of my reading is via a couple subscription services.