Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Portable Audio/Video

Notices

Old 02-05-2005, 01:13 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Can I watch online pay movie service downloads on PPC?

I'm looking for help understanding how to watch downloaded movies from various online movie providers like... MovieLink, Starz Ticket? (There are some others like CinemaNow and MovieFlix but I think you have to stream them online.)

I'm using BetaPlayer. I can create PPC versions of DVDs with DVD Studio, but don't know how to prepare/watch those online movies, or even how to tell if it's possible. Cust service for those online pay movie download sites say you can't do it, but they may not be aware, or want to be aware, of what's available via BetaPlayer and add-on codecs, and software to encode for PPC screens and memory card sizes.

The online sites appear to use the Helix DRM, which also sounds like a codec, and real player files. But it sounds like that codec is available, e.g. at http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/1054136293/1. And it sounds like it's something that gets "plugged in" or provided to any media player that can play real files. Can I use that plus another PPC video player to see the movies?

Then I'm more confused by looking at the http://helixcommunity.org/ site, where it seems like a WinCE player is in the works but not ready yet.

So bottom line.. what do I need to see those movies? Can I use programs like DVD Studio or PocketDivxEncoder to change screen resolution and frame rate and sound quality and overall file size? Can I use that Real Player Alternative with BetaPlayer?

Thanks for any input.

The interest comes because I've discovered recently that watching movies on my PDA is really nice. I watched a few public domain movies on my plane trip the other day and while waiting in the airport. It's actually much, much better than in-flight movies that you watch on the airplane's screens, and you can view anywhere, anytime. It's actually very neat. Now I'd like to be able to use downloaded movies from pay sources also. Surely that can be done. It would be a shame to have all that content but only available for full Windows machines.
Old 02-05-2005, 03:25 PM   #2
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobR
I'm using BetaPlayer. I can create PPC versions of DVDs with DVD Studio, but don't know how to prepare/watch those online movies, or even how to tell if it's possible.
Bob, just a side note: Try PocketDivXEncoder. It is free and does a great job when converting movies for Pocket PCs. EDIT: Just saw that you were referring to it further down in your post. I leave it here as my personal recommendation for everyone who is interested in converting his videos for PPC devices.
Quote:
Cust service for those online pay movie download sites say you can't do it, but they may not be aware, or want to be aware, of what's available via BetaPlayer and add-on codecs, and software to encode for PPC screens and memory card sizes.
I think the only solution would be to use a service that offers Windows Media files with DRM, which is supported by the latest Windows Media Player Mobile. MSN is going to be offering a video download service for mobile devices soon. They’ve already signed up several cable companies like FOX Sports, CNBC, MSNBC, and Food Network, and a one year subscription will cost around $20.
Quote:
The online sites appear to use the Helix DRM, which also sounds like a codec, and real player files. But it sounds like that codec is available, e.g. at http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/1054136293/1.
I don't know if there is any player that supports Real Video files encoded with Helix for Pocket PC. I have heard rumors, Bob like the ones you saw at Helixcommunity, that a player is in the works but not available for public yet.
Quote:
Can I use that Real Player Alternative with BetaPlayer?
BetaPlayer doesn't support the Real format. You won't be able to use it. BetaPlayer does support streaming of divx/xvid movies, but I don't think there are many legal services that offer the download of such.
Advert
Old 02-05-2005, 04:16 PM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the info Morpheus. It's nice to hear input from someone that has perspective instead of just guessing based on a few web sites like I've been trying to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus
Bob, just a side note: Try PocketDivXEncoder. It is free and does a great job when converting movies for Pocket PCs. EDIT: Just saw that you were referring to it further down in your post. I leave it here as my personal recommendation for everyone who is interested in converting his videos for PPC devices.
I tried that first, but it didn't seem to be able to get to the DVD on my laptop. But I had other problems with that DVD even with DVD Studio, so maybe I should try it again. Edit: Maybe you have to use DVDDecrypter or Smartripper to get the files off of the DVD before you can use PocketDivXEncoder? Check out http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/aspi.htm for lots more info.

Quote:
I think the only solution would be to use a service that offers Windows Media files with DRM
The part about Tivo content being usable on PPC is pretty neat. Might be a good reason to get Tivo. But don't really watch enough tv to justify it. And if they add movies to the content that would be interesting for about $20/yr. The other issue here is that it takes Media Player 10, which is not available except for a few models, and for some upcoming models. As much as I want a VGA device, I am happy with my Toshiba for now, and it's small. Here's what Microsoft says
Quote:
Windows Media Player 10 Mobile will be available on many new Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition–based Smartphones and Pocket PCs over the next few months. These devices will come in various shapes and sizes designed to fit your lifestyle and budget. Windows Media Player 10 Mobile is not available for download from Microsoft.

# The following devices have Windows Media Player 10 Mobile installed: Audiovox SMT-5600 from AT&T Wireless
# Dell Axim X50

# The following devices are upgradeable to Windows Media Player 10 Mobile: HP iPAQ rx 3000 series
# Dell Axim X30
BUT.... if I remember right, one of the pay movie sites also gave you a choice of Winows Media Player files or Real Player. (MovieLink?) If that's true, maybe with a Dell x50v and Win Media Player 10, you can watch that content. If they could make a cheap Dell x50v the size of my Toshiba e405, I'd be really tempted. But for now, I feel like I might as well wait for whatever is coming next instead of a small incremental jump that would require a bigger device in my pocket.

Quote:
I don't know if there is any player that supports Real Video files encoded with Helix for Pocket PC. I have heard rumors, Bob like the ones you saw at Helixcommunity, that a player is in the works but not available for public yet.
If you dig down just right into that site, you'll actually see the project itself. But I couldn't tell if it's still active. Some of the target dates looked like oct/nov. If that's last year it could signal something stopped work. And if that's this year, that's a bit of a wait.
Old 02-06-2005, 04:06 PM   #4
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

Some more info for those following this thread...

-- Real Player Mobile plays Real Media files. A new pre-release version at prerelease Real Media Player for PPC plays RealVideo 9, but it doesn't appear to play web secured content. From the support site they say this...
Quote:
This document refers to:

- RealPlayer Mobile for Pocket PC
- RealOne premium services, including RealOne SuperPass

RealNetworks premium or paid content (such as SuperPass streaming media) is offered only as secured Web media.

Because RealPlayer Mobile for Pocket PC does not support secured Web media of any kind, you cannot access premium content on your Pocket PC.
I tried the SpiderMan2 sample file from MovieLink, but it wouldn't play on the newest RealPlayer Mobile for PPC.

I doubt that Starz Ticket!, or the other sites will be supported by the current versions of RealPlayer Mobile based on the comment above, but there was reference to Helix on the RealPlayer Mobile site, so I still have some hope.

Is there anyone out there that knows about this?
Any good place where I can search for answers on topics like this?
Old 02-18-2005, 01:01 PM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I've read elsewhere in the past days (I think it was a commentary on the 3GSM World Congress) that mobile television is going to kick off soon. SmartVideo Technologies is supposed to offer live streams in MS Windows Media format soon.
Advert