Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 05:16 PM   #1
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
FREE/BARGAIN - Comics - 2015

I thought that there was already a general comics thread, but I couldn't find it. I even did a search; however, I'm still trying to get the "hang" of it. If there is already a thread, I profusely apologize.

The Humble Books offer of a bundle of audiobooks, which was discussed on the audiobooks thread, is now over. In its place are two things:
1. Video games.
2. Comics.

I haven't read comics since I was a boy which was . . . well, nevermind how long ago that was. (ha) So, I don't know if these comics are any good.

www.humblebundle.com
Old 06-26-2014, 07:04 AM   #2
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Two free comics that might interest AMC-TV series viewers are:
  • TURИ: Origins (released March 26, 2014), which portrays childhood and adulthood events from the lives of several of the series' main characters including Abraham Woodhull, Benjamin Tallmadge, Anna Strong, and Caleb Brewster, and was illustrated by award- winning illustrator Steve Ellis
  • The Walking Dead #1 (print release date October 8, 2003, digital release date July 13, 2009), by Robert Kirkman

Last edited by Froide; 05-02-2015 at 01:08 AM.
Advert
Old 06-26-2014, 12:24 PM   #3
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
What does one use to read comics? Is there a special app?
Old 06-26-2014, 12:33 PM   #4
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
i use CDisplay Ex on my Win PC and Perfect Viewer on my Android, though I hear ereader apps like Moon+ and aldiko can also handle them.

They are really just renamed zip or rar files most of the time
Old 06-26-2014, 03:28 PM   #5
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
I went to the page where you buy the comics bundle to see what the format is and they have a free download everyday. Both yesterday and today it was pdf. Is that normal for this site?

https://www.humblebundle.com/books
Advert
Old 06-26-2014, 06:28 PM   #6
Dhevi
Zealot
Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Galaxy S3, Nexus 7.2
I've always used ComicRack for windows and android. Though the android app does not have a trial mode. Serves my purposes to manage my digital comic library.

You could also look a Comixology which recently has been acquired by Amazon (much the same as Audible is an Amazon company). They offer a great selection of current comics, a lot of older comics. The library management for your purchases leaves room for improvement. You can't backup your purchases however. There are several free comics to allow you to test out their PC and android applications.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:31 AM   #7
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Galaxy S22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
What does one use to read comics? Is there a special app?
For comics in .cbr/.cbz/.rar/.zip formats (as well as just collections of individual images in any format) Perfect Viewer is, well, perfect on Android. It'll even let you add Windows network shares as a library folder so you don't have to copy all your comics over to your device.

On desktop I tend to use the Irfanview image viewer, but it won't load from an archive file. You have to extract the images from it first. I rarely read on the PC however, so I don't want a dedicated comic reader on it, and Irfanview is an excellent image viewer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I went to the page where you buy the comics bundle to see what the format is and they have a free download everyday. Both yesterday and today it was pdf. Is that normal for this site?

That is the first time I've seen them giving away free comics during one of the bundles, so there's no past precedent. However, this appears to be done by Dynamite Entertainment, the comics publisher, as this current bundle is partly a promo for Dynamite's 10th anniversary of comics book publishing. So we get to blame them for the PDF format. (The comics in the bundle come in multiple formats, with .cbz being listed as one of them as well as PDF.)

PDF is a crappy format for comic books (and books!) but hey, free is free.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:23 PM   #8
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

From Wikipedia: Government comics:

The United States government and affiliated bodies occasionally print and publish works using the comic medium. These works fulfill a wide variety of purposes often seen in government publications, primarily educating the public about government programs or lifestyle choices the government wants to encourage.[1] Richard L. Graham examines and dissects these government comics in Government Issue: Comics for the People, 1940s-2000s.[2]

Said comics (and some others published by other governments, elsewhere) can be found at the following sites and at sites they link to:

Last edited by Froide; 06-27-2014 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:57 PM   #9
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
The comics included in the Humble Bundle are complete stories?
Old 06-28-2014, 10:50 PM   #10
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post

I suppose that you are directing this to me?

Anyway, this was a revelation to me. I went to the webpage that you gave the URL for and saw what you were talking about. Sounds great, if you like comics. Humblebundle will surely have items in other categories in the future; I know that they had that big promotion, that ended a couple of days ago, in which they offered audiobooks.

I decided to do a little bit more poking around and pulled up Humblebundle's home page (www.humblebundle.com). I noticed that they have a "daily deal," also (bottom of page, lefthand side). You'll notice the absence of the word "free" in there--it's not free, at least not today's. However, a person might be able to snag a good deal there from time to time. I'm going to try to remember to check this everyday. I am on their mailing list, but I don't get messages from them but once every three or four days, even though I checked on the subscription preferences that I wanted to informed of the "daily promotions."

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 06-28-2014 at 10:54 PM.
Old 06-29-2014, 01:20 AM   #11
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
I suppose that you are directing this to me?

Anyway, this was a revelation to me. I went to the webpage that you gave the URL for and saw what you were talking about. Sounds great, if you like comics. Humblebundle will surely have items in other categories in the future; I know that they had that big promotion, that ended a couple of days ago, in which they offered audiobooks.

I decided to do a little bit more poking around and pulled up Humblebundle's home page (www.humblebundle.com). I noticed that they have a "daily deal," also (bottom of page, lefthand side). You'll notice the absence of the word "free" in there--it's not free, at least not today's. However, a person might be able to snag a good deal there from time to time. I'm going to try to remember to check this everyday. I am on their mailing list, but I don't get messages from them but once every three or four days, even though I checked on the subscription preferences that I wanted to informed of the "daily promotions."
It was directed at anyone who could answer.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:28 AM   #12
Froide
Wizard

ComiXology's "Free Comics" gallery now contains 55 titles. Here are the four newest additions:

Ultimate Comics Spider-Man Vol. 2 #1
Introducing Miles Morales--the new Ultimate Spider-Man!

Secret Invasion #1
The shape-shifting Skrulls have secretly infiltrated every super-powered organization on Earth with one goal: full-scale invasion! It's reveal after reveal and shocking moment after shocking moment featuring the entire Marvel Universe!

Avengers Arena #1
Marvel NOW! Trapped on an isolated island, 16 super human young adults (including cult faves like members of the Runaways, The Avengers Academy and Darkhawk) are given a chilling ultimatum by their demented captor: Fight or die--only one will walk out alive!

Deadpool: Merc With A Mouth #1
HEAD TRIP, Part 1 of 6

It's the Merc with two mouths! Deadpool travels to the Savage Land to retrieve the severed-but-still-hungry head of the Marvel Zombies Deadpool! Now, Deadpool must dodge Hydra operatives, dinosaurs, and zombie cavemen as he attempts to take his not-so-precious cargo back where it came from: the Marvel Zombies Universe.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:20 AM   #13
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

A Free Educational Comicbook for Kids

There are no issues about how to read this one--it's a Kindle.

Scientists That Changed the World: The Story of Penicillin, An Educational Comic Book for Kids (A Historical Science Comic Book for Kids 1). By Cera D. Colby. Rated 4 1/2 stars from 11 reviews at the present moment. Digital list price $2.99; Kindle price now $0.00. http://www.amazon.com/Scientists-Tha...+for+Kids+1%29.

Scientists That Changed the World, is a Historical Science Comic Book for Kids. Volume 1 deals with the Story of Penicillin - it is an educational comic all about the exciting discovery of Penicillin. And what kid doesn't love comic books?!

This biography for kids, all about the scientist Alexander Fleming, shows exactly how he came about making his historic discovery and how it changed the world. The story behind this incredible event that changed history forever leaps off the page in this full color comic graphic novel.

If you have a child that is interested in science, biographies or history, this cool comic will show them that a little inspiration, combined with hard work and even a little bit of luck can make for a world changing event. Maybe even one they might make one day. All it takes is one person to change the world!
Old 07-22-2014, 06:45 PM   #14
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

99 Cent Batman & Other Comic Books at Amazon!

In my daily trolling of free/bargain ebook sites, I came across a huge number of comic books today that had been marked down. All of the comic books that I saw were 99 cents each. All of them were Amazon markdowns, but it's possible that other vendors have the same deal.

Most of the comic books are the "Batman" comic books. The remainder are the following:
- "All-Star Batman & Robin the Boy Wonder"
- "Superman/Batman"
- "Detective Comics"

- One, that I noticed, "Samurai Jack."

I don't know how desirable these titles are. My comic book reading days have long passed, and my comic book reading even then was pretty limited. Furthermore, I never was "into" these particular titles--Archie, Peanuts, and National Lampoon, yes, but not these. On top of that I don't know how popular that they would be today, but I was willing to tell you how to get them.

Unfortunately, I didn't find these comic books in the form of a list with an URL for each one of the titles--they were just scattered about. I tried for 15 to 30 minutes on Amazon to find a way to do a search for all of these at the 99 cent price point, so I could give you a single URL for the search results for all of the titles of each series, but I never could find out how to do it. I know that there is a way, but I couldn't find out how. Furthermore, when I came up with pages that had some of these 99 cent comic books, I couldn't get the "sort by price--lower to higher" function to behave itself. Is there some kind soul reading this who can enlighten us on the correct search term string?
Old 07-23-2014, 04:57 AM   #15
Froide
Wizard

ComiXology just added two more titles to their "Free Comics" gallery. Here are the newest additions:

Winter Soldier #1

When ex-Russian Sleeper Agents awaken, Winter Solider and Black Widow head into action!

Avengers Assemble #1

The Avengers vs. the new Zodiac! One of the greatest Avengers villains gets reinvented for the Modern Age! A perfect jumping-on point featuring the cast of the summer blockbuster in Marvel Universe!
Closed Thread