Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-18-2016, 02:58 AM   #31
zes
zes began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
No. The frontlight access works different on a PW3 system level. On a first glimpse I haven't found how to get it working. Maybe somebody else have found on which button we have to press.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=48

Might be useful? Just came from there. I don't have a pw3, just dropping in case helps
zes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 07:38 AM   #32
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
No. The frontlight access works different on a PW3 system level. On a first glimpse I haven't found how to get it working. Maybe somebody else have found on which button we have to press.
Or perhaps more recently:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=40
and following.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2016, 10:58 AM   #33
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Or perhaps more recently:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=40
and following.
The actual PW2/PW3 (and later?) KUAL extension in that thread is attached to this post:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...13#post3323913
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:13 AM   #34
bel3atar
Connoisseur
bel3atar began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
I'm not familiar with lipc calls, but does this extension wake up the CPU every 15 seconds or something?
I am worried about battery life.
bel3atar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:54 AM   #35
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bel3atar View Post
I'm not familiar with lipc calls, but does this extension wake up the CPU every 15 seconds or something?
I am worried about battery life.
Why would it wake from sleep?
There is no reason for it to wake up when the front light is normally off.
Advert
Old 08-25-2016, 06:25 AM   #36
remytom
remytom began at the beginning.

Device: kindle voyage
For your information, This "front light master extension" also work for the kindle voyage.
I've installed it and it work perfectly ;-)
remytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 02:30 PM   #37
bel3atar
Connoisseur

Not from sleep, but while I am reading.
Let's say I am reading through a page; will this extension run code every 15 seconds even if I don't change the brightness?

Last edited by bel3atar; 08-26-2016 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 04:28 AM   #38
peterson
Connoisseur
peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bel3atar View Post
Not from sleep, but while I am reading.
Let's say I am reading through a page; will this extension run code every 15 seconds even if I don't change the brightness?
During reading, it will "run" when the check interval is reached or when you turn the Kindle off. The check interval is set to 15 seconds (see frontlightmaster.sh line 139). If you do not make use of the schedule functionality, you can set the CHECKINTERVAL value in config.sh (line 6) to something more to your liking (maybe not too high, but up to once an hour = 3600 seconds should not be a problem).

Apart from that: waking once every 15 seconds for minimal checks is not going to have a very noticeable impact on battery use.

If you want to verify how often the script wakes, you can enable the logging (or keep it enabled) and set the LOGFILE parameter (config.sh line 42) to a file. Then after some use check the file contents - as you can see in frontlightmaster.sh, it outputs a date-time-stamped message every time it runs.
peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 01:51 PM   #39
Yourcat
Groupie
Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.

Device: PW3 5.6.5-usbnet
The script does not awake after 15s is the Kindle is suspended. Running this check every 15s while active does indeed consume only little power. As it is open source one may use a lipc and wait for frontlight changes before running this test - if there is such event (lipc-wait-event -s 3600 com.lab126....).
Yourcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 09:21 AM   #40
bel3atar
Connoisseur

so even if the schedule functionality is disabled (which is the default), the extension will be polling every 15 seconds?
Old 10-15-2016, 11:18 AM   #41
sketchi
sketchi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3 (2015) WiFi
I just bought my first Kindle two days ago, the PW3 (v5.7.4). The "Front Light Master" works, I'm happy to report! This was the one thing that really made me ragey, not being able to completely turn OFF the darn light even at the lowest setting.

Just had to sign up here to report in, thanks to the kind people of this forum I am so very happy with my Kindle.
sketchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 09:13 PM   #42
CalbertAmu
Connoisseur
CalbertAmu began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I can't get it to open with lights turned off. I also can't get it to turn off lights through the regular menu.

On the config.sh I set the OFFVALUE=1, but when I set the brightness to 1 or 0 it never turns off the LED. What other values must I change?

I also set MINIMUMBRIGHTNESSONSTART=5, but it doesn't work.
CalbertAmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 07:49 AM   #43
knc1
Going Viral

Device model (first six characters of the serial number) and firmware version (shown in the "Device Info" panel) please.
Old 11-06-2016, 03:07 PM   #44
CalbertAmu
Connoisseur

Model: G090 G1
Firmware: 5.8.5.0.2

I didn't mention that I could turn the FL off through its KUAL extension button.

To reiterate, I can't turn the FL off through the regular method. I opened the config.sh and set OFFVALUE=1, but when I change the brightness to 1 or 0 it doesn't turn the FL off. What other values must I change?

I also set MINIMUMBRIGHTNESSONSTART=5, but that doesn't work either.

Last edited by CalbertAmu; 11-07-2016 at 06:10 PM.
Old 11-10-2016, 02:06 PM   #45
CalbertAmu
Connoisseur

Can anyone please help me?