Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Poor farmers or robots? Vote for your choice.
I, Robot by Isaac Asimov 19 38.00%
Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton 31 62.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-01-2012, 12:31 AM   #91
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Finished. Couldn't put it down, 'cept when i had to. Since this isn't the time or thread to post analysis, I'll just speak in regard to the concerns we had about choosing it...

I thought it was sad, but not a gratuitously maudlin downer like some GR reviewers posted. Like some historical fiction that necessarily has its tragedies and sad endings, it's still well worth reading, IMO.

I'll likely read it again in a few weeks, as I didn't stop to write out my thoughts along the way this time -- and it's a book that provokes a lot of thought and fodder for discussion.

I thought the writing was superb - a tragic story beautifully told, with no drag in the flow.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:37 AM   #92
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper_ View Post
Finished. Couldn't put it down, 'cept when i had to. Since this isn't the time or thread to post analysis, I'll just speak in regard to the concerns we had about choosing it...

I thought it was sad, but not a gratuitously maudlin downer like some GR reviewers posted. Like some historical fiction that necessarily has its tragedies and sad endings, it's still well worth reading, IMO.

I'll likely read it again in a few weeks, as I didn't stop to write out my thoughts along the way this time -- and it's a book that provokes a lot of thought and fodder for discussion.

I thought the writing was superb - a tragic story beautifully told, with no drag in the flow.
Well that is really encouraging. Thanks for that.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2012, 03:39 AM   #93
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Ethan Frome is a very good book. Don't listen to the naysayers
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:45 AM   #94
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I started it and it really seems like good story telling to me. I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy Ethan more than I would have the Robots! By that I'm not saying I think the other book is bad. Just that this one is more to my liking. I really dislike it when people categorically call things bad just because it's not in a category they like! I hate romance books, there for I don't read them. That does not mean they are bad!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:54 AM   #95
Bookatarian
Zealot
Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I've just downloaded both...really want to read I, Robot sometime anyway. Cory Doctorow has a free download short story celebrating Asimov's I, Robot...would be cool to do a comparison.

I'll pour a glass of wine, get a box of tissues, and settle in for our December read.
Bookatarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2012, 12:56 PM   #96
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I think Ethan Frome is the perfect book to read as the world ends during the Mayan Apocalypse.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:29 PM   #97
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I think Ethan Frome is the perfect book to read as the world ends during the Mayan Apocalypse.
It's the perfect book to save until December 22, 2012. Because if the world does end, at least you can say you never read it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:37 PM   #98
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I'm going to put my .01 cent in and cast a vote for Ethan Frome.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:39 PM   #99
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
I'm going to put my .01 cent in and cast a vote for Ethan Frome.
You got gypped and overpaid.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:45 AM   #100
Turnstone
Zealot
Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
I am currently reading Ethan Frome. It's well written and I enjoy reading it.
Turnstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:52 AM   #101
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
I haven't participated in the book clubs for a while, but thanks to Jon's recommendations I think I'll give Ethan Frome a try. I only need one more book to hit my 75 for the year and I'd like to finish on a classic.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:34 AM   #102
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
I haven't participated in the book clubs for a while, but thanks to Jon's recommendations I think I'll give Ethan Frome a try. I only need one more book to hit my 75 for the year and I'd like to finish on a classic.
Hope you enjoy it. I really liked it.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:17 PM   #103
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
I liked Ethan Frome, too. Read it a couple of weeks before it was nominated, so then I read Cold Comfort Farm and this week The Good Earth. I may even re-read Crime and Punishment before the next round of nominations. Really enjoy the book club and the books I might never have read without it.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:06 PM   #104
caleb72
Indie Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
...and this week The Good Earth.
Tell me what you think of this one when you're done.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:23 PM   #105
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
I liked Ethan Frome, too. Read it a couple of weeks before it was nominated, so then I read Cold Comfort Farm and this week The Good Earth. I may even re-read Crime and Punishment before the next round of nominations. Really enjoy the book club and the books I might never have read without it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Tell me what you think of this one when you're done.
I read Ethan Frome recently, and as I have stated here before I liked it. I also read Good Earth very recently and really enjoyed it. Of course that book was the principal inspiration for Pearl S Buck being awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature.

I am about half way through Cold Comfort Farm at the moment. It is hilarious. Very small bit of it:

Spoiler:
Quote:
Mrs Smiling’s second interest was her collection of brassières, and her search for a perfect one. She was reputed to have the largest and finest collection of these garments in the world. It was hoped that on her death it would be left to the nation.

She was an authority on the cut, fit, colour, construction and proper functioning of brassières; and her friends had learned that her interest, even in moments of extreme emotional or physical distress, could be aroused and her composure restored by the hasty utterance of the phrase:

‘I saw a brassière today, Mary, that would have interested you …’