Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-23-2011, 04:18 PM   #1
David732
David732 began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch, Kobo Touch
A Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook Simple Touch or something else?

I have preordered the Kindle Touch 3g, but I recently found out that I won't be able to use the 3G connection for web browsing. I reexamined all the choices I had and have (tentatively) narrowed it down to these options:

-Don't cancel pre-order, buy the Kindle Touch 3G (w/ special offers):
I get Wikipedia and Amazon everywhere, which will be somewhat useful for me when I'm traveling. I definitely would prefer a touch screen to a keyboard. I would enjoy the games and applications (both jailbreak and non-jailbreak) that Kindle has, especially with a touch screen (assuming that applications will work with the Kindle Touch, which seems reasonable).
-Switch to Kindle Keyboard 3G:
The main reason I would consider this is to be able to browse the web with a 3G connection. One concern I have is that Amazon may simply remove 3G browsing from the Kindle Keyboard in a few months. I also do not like keyboard controls and would strongly prefer a touchscreen
-Switch to Kindle Wi-fi Touch:
This would be cheaper than the above two options, while still retaining a touchscreen and the advantages of a Kindle. On the other hand, I would miss the 3G.

Another thing I can't figure out is if these new Kindles will still support mobi.

-Kobo Touch:
The Kobo Touch seems like a very good reader for what I need. I like the many formats supported and reading "achievements". The downside to me is that as far as I can tell it doesn't have applications, and I'm not sure if it has a web browser.
-Nook Simple Touch:
Honestly, I think that the Kindle Touch or Kobo Touch are better than this, but it seems comparable and there are used versions available for really low prices.

If anyone who has used some of these readers before could give me advice I'd be happy.

Last edited by David732; 10-23-2011 at 04:22 PM.
David732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:08 PM   #2
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
I own a kindle 3g keyboard and recently purchased a Nook Simple Touch as a present. I can't really say anything about the kobo, and everything I have to say about the Kindle touch is based on the previews I've seen and a few articles.

The nook is light (but not as light as the kobo), well-balanced, fast, responsive, and has excellent form factor. The sides of the nook have a softer, more rubbery feel than the kindle, which feels hard, although probably not as hard as a metal device. The nook is also thicker (perfect thickness in my opinion) with a concave back, making it easier and more comfortable to hold (in my opinion) than the other perfectly flat readers. To me the kindle is a bit too thin, and after holding the nook str, feels a bit less balanced.

The nook does have a browser and wifi internet, but the browser is very buggy. It can be rooted, however, which allows you to install android apps, including the kindle app. The nook does not have audio, but it does have microsd storage.

The kindle's advantages are its ecosystem. Notes and highlights are backed up in a plain text file called myclippings, which can be exported. They are also backed up at kindle.amazon.com. You can also store up to 5 gbs worth of personal documents to the cloud. The kindle does not have any external storage.

I don't think Amazon will remove the 3g wireless capabilities of the keyboard version, especially since the install base of that version will only decline in time. I highly doubt Amazon, which is one of the most intelligently run companies on the planet, will remove a feature that a device had before, although it could happen considering that the browser is listed under "experimental" features. Web browsing on an ereader, however, is a chore. I would not base my purchasing primarily on this feature.

As far as navigation, the kindle is imho probably the best you can get with keyboard navigation, but it isn't as seamless as touch. Still, the keyboard works very well, and it allows you to do everything you need or want to do with relative ease.

There really doesn't seem to be any substantial differences between the touch and keyboard readers, other than that the touch versions will probably be slightly faster (they are supposed to have an 800 mhz processor, compared to a 532 mhz processor for the keyboard version), and have a feature called x-ray, which just seems like a file that comes with certain books with the wikipedia entries for certain characters, events, themes, and ideas in a book. But unless you have well over a thousand books on your device, the k3 is still fairly speedy and responsive. The notetaking, highlighting, browsing, and shopping experiences all seem to be essentially the same.

I've had the kindle keyboard for over a year, and it is a terrific device. I don't know if you'll like the keyboard or not though, so if you are considering buying this device, I'd suggest going to a Target or a Best Buy to try out one of the kindles on display.

Last edited by spellbanisher; 10-23-2011 at 05:14 PM.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2011, 08:33 PM   #3
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
I have the Kindle Keyboard 3G. To be honest, using the web on the Kindle is an unpleasant experience. It doesn't default to mobile view, so a lot of web sites don't look good on the screen. It also doesn't scroll or pan very well (slow).

I think if you want to use the web while traveling, you'd be better of getting a smartphone or a tablet.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:48 PM   #4
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict
SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Pad Slider
I have a Kobo Touch which I really like it. It does have an internet browser and WiFi. From what little I've used it, it seems adequate enough. Keep in mind, this is a black-and-white e-ink screen, so don't expect it to be as good as your computer. Still, I had no trouble navigating and typing and it was actually a little zippier than I was expecting. There is also a mobile app for Android, and I think iPhone too.

Currently its main social feature is Reading Life, which you can connect with Facebook or whatever to share your awards. I think you can also share passages of books you like, and things like that (I haven't used it - I tend to have my WiFi off). Kobo's doing firmware updates all the time, so new features are still popping up pretty often.

You're right, the Kobo is much more open, and this is a huge advantage in the long run. In the long run, you'll eventually wind up getting some other device, and it may or may not be the same company you got your first device from.

The Kobo supports the universal format Epub, which Kindle doesn't. Their store is also straight-forward in telling you which books are DRM'ed, which B&N (Nook's store) is not. The reason this matters is because Kindle formats won't work on anything but a Kindle, and B&N Nook DRM won't work on anything but a Nook (and like I said, they won't tell you if the book has DRM when you buy it, so you can't tell).

So if you ever switch devices, you can see how much of a problem this could be. There are ways around it, of course. But it's much easier to go with a more open reader and avoid that trouble to begin with. That was a big selling point for me with the Kobo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David732 View Post
I have preordered the Kindle Touch 3g, but I recently found out that I won't be able to use the 3G connection for web browsing. I reexamined all the choices I had and have (tentatively) narrowed it down to these options:

-Don't cancel pre-order, buy the Kindle Touch 3G (w/ special offers):
I get Wikipedia and Amazon everywhere, which will be somewhat useful for me when I'm traveling. I definitely would prefer a touch screen to a keyboard. I would enjoy the games and applications (both jailbreak and non-jailbreak) that Kindle has, especially with a touch screen (assuming that applications will work with the Kindle Touch, which seems reasonable).
-Switch to Kindle Keyboard 3G:
The main reason I would consider this is to be able to browse the web with a 3G connection. One concern I have is that Amazon may simply remove 3G browsing from the Kindle Keyboard in a few months. I also do not like keyboard controls and would strongly prefer a touchscreen
-Switch to Kindle Wi-fi Touch:
This would be cheaper than the above two options, while still retaining a touchscreen and the advantages of a Kindle. On the other hand, I would miss the 3G.

Another thing I can't figure out is if these new Kindles will still support mobi.

-Kobo Touch:
The Kobo Touch seems like a very good reader for what I need. I like the many formats supported and reading "achievements". The downside to me is that as far as I can tell it doesn't have applications, and I'm not sure if it has a web browser.
-Nook Simple Touch:
Honestly, I think that the Kindle Touch or Kobo Touch are better than this, but it seems comparable and there are used versions available for really low prices.

If anyone who has used some of these readers before could give me advice I'd be happy.

Last edited by SmokeAndMirrors; 10-23-2011 at 09:53 PM.
SmokeAndMirrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:31 AM   #5
David732
David732 began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch, Kobo Touch
Thanks all for the advice. At the moment I'm leaning towards the Kobo Touch.

To any Kobo Touch owners, I have some questions:
Can you download books from the web browser?
What system exists for organizing your books?
Does the Kobo support any third party applications/games? If not, is it likely that it will at some point? (Through either official or unofficial means)
How good is the PDF reader?
Do you change pages through tapping or swiping?

Last edited by David732; 10-26-2011 at 08:59 AM.
David732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert