Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: With ComfortLight turned on and low light setting, do you notice colored blotches?
Yes, green blotches from bottom center 20 15.15%
Yes, green blotches from bottom right 22 16.67%
Yes, green blotches from bottom left 18 13.64%
Yes, different location 10 7.58%
No 80 60.61%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-09-2018, 02:17 PM   #76
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
With my H2O, when I have the light on, I read at 4.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 03:17 PM   #77
Pulpwood
Make my Day
Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, KA1 LE
[QUOTE=ZodWallop;3654559]But maybe you should wait until you've received your device and all is good before talking smack about other users complaining about the issue?
QUOTE]

Maybe you should back up, turn slowly, and walk away.
Pulpwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 06:03 PM   #78
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
[QUOTE=Pulpwood;3654626]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
But maybe you should wait until you've received your device and all is good before talking smack about other users complaining about the issue?
QUOTE]

Maybe you should back up, turn slowly, and walk away.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 02:19 AM   #79
sjfan
Addict
sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
With my H2O, when I have the light on, I read at 4.
Yep, 4% is my sweet spot on the H2O when reading in the dark.

Do people with Aura Ones see uneven lighting problems with the regular frontlight as well, or only with the warm-color ComfortLight on?
sjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 12:01 PM   #80
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjfan View Post

Do people with Aura Ones see uneven lighting problems with the regular frontlight as well, or only with the warm-color ComfortLight on?
I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule, but the majority seem to only have problems with the coloured Comfortlight on, not just the regular "white" light.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 12:29 PM   #81
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Interesting... KOReader has been implementing a "comfort light" function for the Kobo Aura One (and perhaps the H2O2), that should be in a release soon. From the posting here, the hardware issue might override those efforts.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:55 AM   #82
datanoise
Groupie
datanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: SuperNote A5X
Quote:
On the 4 units I tested, the "normal" light was fine, uneven lighting was with ComfortLight on. (started to be really noticeable at around 10/20%)
datanoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 02:40 PM   #83
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

The complaints I've seen are from people who have the Comfortlight on and at the full night setting going by the images that have been posted (the ones where the screen looks as if it is being illuminated by a candle).
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:37 AM   #84
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
There is now a KOReader release with this feature. Check out this short thread.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 09:43 AM   #85
Pulpwood
Make my Day
Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, KA1 LE
It Has Arrived

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulpwood View Post
Have a KA1 ordered from kobo.com and awaiting delivery. I have to ask this question. Are folks honestly going as dark as the images posted for reading? On the H2O that I have been reading for 3 years, I do not go near that low and much of the reading takes place after retiring for the night.

For the record, things have been very good with the H2O. I do recall a lot of bad rap at this site concerning the H2O when I joined here. Maybe this is just the venting site of disgruntled users?

I will cast a vote after receiving and testing the KA1. If anything is a miss, I will also add a mini review to this thread.
Received the KA1 yesterday afternoon. Charged, synched, and updated the firmware first thing. Prior to using the reader last night, I checked the lighting across the adjustment levels. The screen is quite even overall at any setting, both in color and light level. In comparison to the H2O which had the five obvious light sources at the bottom if trying to see them. The KA1 has none of that at any edge.

The first hour of reading came later in the evening and required some hit and miss adjustments for a good comfort level. The settings settled at 30% brightness and 30% natural light for total dark reading, YMMV for sure.

The only reason for this purchase was the increase in screen real estate while retaining the waterproof qualities, period. With that said, I see the KA1 ereader as a larger (screen real estate) AND a bit more polished version of the H2O. What stood out immediately was the page turn quality, it is quick and crisp immediately. With the H2O, the letters took a micro-moment to materialize, very quick but at times noticeable. Yes, the 300 PPI and improved page turn is a good thing. Overall the quality of this ereader is at or above my expectations.
Pulpwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 05:54 PM   #86
Braid
Groupie
Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2nd), Kobo Aura One, Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O (1st)
Quote:
Only with the warmer colours. I don't go for the more extreme orangey settings - I simply aim to reduce the amount of blue light. Sadly, I find the green blobs too distracting. So I don't use the e-reader in bed.

Last edited by Braid; 02-15-2018 at 06:05 PM.
Braid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 06:29 AM   #87
datanoise
Groupie
datanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshes

No problem on the regular frontlight, it's really nice (more even than on my PW3). On the 4 units I tried the warmer color was not even (some units worse than others) and that was in my opinion really annoying when reading.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:22 PM   #88
JeanPierre
Zealot
JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I joined to comment on this issue.

I am on my 2nd Kobo Aura One now. I can't decide whether this one is better or worse than the first one, but the lighting is certainly not even with a brightness setting of 1-10% and a comfort light setting between the maximum to 2 notches below the maximum (which is the warmth of my incandescent lighting at home, and the setting that I would like to use it at night).

Based on a photo I took of the lighting of the first one, I would have to say they are identical in pattern, but my memory of the first was that there was an overwhelming red splotch in the bottom middle, and of the new one there's a green splotch on the left, and then less intrusive alternating red and green lights along the bottom.

I am surprised to see such a high number of votes reporting models with even lighting at all levels of warmness. The problem disappears at a warmth setting around 50%, or a brightness setting over 20%. Those settings are too warm and too bright to read in the dark comfortably though, in my opinion.

I am currently deciding whether to return the item for a 2nd replacement, or just live with it. I am writing just to share my experience with any potential customers considering purchasing a Kobo Aura One. Aside from this issue, which only manifest reading in the dark, the reader is first class.

Update - With this device, it turned out to be 5th time's the charm. My 5th Aura One (the 4th replacement) has perfectly acceptable backlighting, and is a delight to use.

Last edited by JeanPierre; 04-27-2018 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Information update.
JeanPierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 02:15 PM   #89
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
For those of you that have returned your Aura One's more than a few times are you buying and returning them via Kobo? Or at a brick and mortar stores?
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 04:37 PM   #90
datanoise
Groupie

I sent back 3 units to the same online store, at the end they gave me my money back and didn't want me to buy an aura one anymore.

I feel like focusing on a less problematic model (the inkpad 3 seems to have no problem + it's easier to integrate an alternative reader for pdf, or h2o2 if smaller is fine) is better than planning to sent it back until you find a correct one, if you really want to avoid uneven lighting... (unless they fixed it; I gave up at the fourth unit, and that was months ago)

Good luck!