Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 09-10-2013, 07:14 AM   #1
Fluor
Fluor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Question KindleGen unresolved hyperlinks?

Hi.

I'm new to making ebooks, new on this forum too (Hi!), i created an EPUB book which i try to convert to MOBI using Amazon's KindleGen utility (v2.9, build 0730-890adc2).

This works, but it complains about unresolved hyperlinks.

What riddles me is that every run of KindleGen on the same EPUB source, the unresolved hyperlinks change:

Run1:
Code:
Hyperlink not resolved:  /tmp/mobi-YizbTB/content/img/3546_011.17514742_std.jpg
Hyperlink not resolved:  /tmp/mobi-YizbTB/content/img/3546_010.17514817_std.jpg
Hyperlink not resolved:  /tmp/mobi-YizbTB/content/img/family_016.169162305_std.jpg
Run2:
Code:
Hyperlink not resolved:  /tmp/mobi-ZSOi0X/content/img/3546_026.17503410_std.jpg
Hyperlink not resolved:  /tmp/mobi-ZSOi0X/content/img/family_042.169165325_std.jpg
Hyperlink not resolved:  /tmp/mobi-ZSOi0X/content/img/family_025.169152215_std.jpg
..etc

Does anybody know what this is / why this is happening?

See my GitHUB repo for the EPUB source.
It's an open book.

Any hints and tips on my work so far are welcome, ofcourse!!

Last edited by Fluor; 09-10-2013 at 07:21 AM.
Fluor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:43 AM   #2
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluor View Post
Hi.

I'm new to making ebooks, new on this forum too (Hi!), i created an EPUB book which i try to convert to MOBI using Amazon's KindleGen utility (v2.9, build 0730-890adc2).

This works, but it complains about unresolved hyperlinks.

What riddles me is that every run of KindleGen on the same EPUB source, the unresolved hyperlinks change:

Run1:
Code:
Hyperlink not resolved:  /tmp/mobi-YizbTB/content/img/3546_011.17514742_std.jpg
Hyperlink not resolved:  /tmp/mobi-YizbTB/content/img/3546_010.17514817_std.jpg
Hyperlink not resolved:  /tmp/mobi-YizbTB/content/img/family_016.169162305_std.jpg
Run2:
Code:
Hyperlink not resolved:  /tmp/mobi-ZSOi0X/content/img/3546_026.17503410_std.jpg
Hyperlink not resolved:  /tmp/mobi-ZSOi0X/content/img/family_042.169165325_std.jpg
Hyperlink not resolved:  /tmp/mobi-ZSOi0X/content/img/family_025.169152215_std.jpg
..etc

Does anybody know what this is / why this is happening?

See my GitHUB repo for the EPUB source.
It's an open book.

Any hints and tips on my work so far are welcome, ofcourse!!
Validate your ePub with EpubCheck or FlightCrew. I did it and I found a lot of errors in your ePub; for example, the messages you received for those images, are due to the images are not used anywhere in the ePub; they are present in the <manifiest> section in the .opf file but are not used (maybe you should delete them); there are many others errors too. Fix them and then you'll be able to compile your ePub as .mobi with Kindlegen without complains.

Regards
Rubén

Last edited by RbnJrg; 09-10-2013 at 11:50 AM.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:26 PM   #3
Fluor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
Validate your ePub with EpubCheck or FlightCrew. I did it and I found a lot of errors in your ePub; for example, the messages you received for those images, are due to the images are not used anywhere in the ePub; they are present in the <manifiest> section in the .opf file but are not used (maybe you should delete them); there are many others errors too. Fix them and then you'll be able to compile your ePub as .mobi with Kindlegen without complains.

Regards
Rubén
Oh. Great. Thanks for the tip.
I'm still learning about the tools involved in building EPUBs and MOBIs.

I see i have a long way to go :P
Old 09-10-2013, 03:59 PM   #4
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Oh. Great. Thanks for the tip.
I'm still learning about the tools involved in building EPUBs and MOBIs.

I see i have a long way to go :P
The best tool to works with ePubs is Sigil. Install this program, load in it your ePub and press the [F7] key; you'll see a list with all the errors in your book. You can see a Sigil tutorial in this page:

http://web.sigil.googlecode.com/git/...tutorials.html

and with regards to validate the ePubs (with Sigil), see this page:

http://web.sigil.googlecode.com/git/...alidation.html

Regards
Old 09-13-2013, 04:03 AM   #5
Fluor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
The best tool to works with ePubs is Sigil. Install this program, load in it your ePub and press the [F7] key; you'll see a list with all the errors in your book.
Thanks. At this point i'd rather mess about with my trusty vim and the specs in a browser tab to understand more of 'what happens behind the GUI'. And i was quite succesful after playing around with your earlier tip about epubcheck.

The book at https://github.com/sndrsmnk/MartinManleyEPUB/ now validates with 0 warnings and 0 errors. :D

Since we're posting this in a Kindle Formats (sub)forum, and my Kindle is... a Kindle... What tools would you recomend for converting EPUB to MOBI?

Calibre's ebook-convert and Amazon's KindleGen produce different results.

Next on my list is finding out more about MOBI formats. :)
Old 09-13-2013, 03:20 PM   #6
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:

Since we're posting this in a Kindle Formats (sub)forum, and my Kindle is... a Kindle... What tools would you recomend for converting EPUB to MOBI?
Without doubts, use Kindlegen (release 2.9). Moreover, if you plan to upload your book to KDP, mobis generated with Calibre won't be accepted.

Tags
epub, kindlegen, mobi