Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-23-2013, 09:52 AM   #1
sunny1z
Enthusiast
sunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Glo
Fonts

Hello,

in a previous post , where i wrote that an epub did not allow me to modify the font, someone advised me to delete certain hardcoded font styles, because the kobo did not know how to handle them.

So in another epub (using Sigil) I see the following lines. Now I'm wondering, with the KOBO should I check every epub for hardcoded fonts.. and delete them by using Sigil? Or are there other options?

so for this one.... is it gonna be the same problem in the KOBO?

in an page_styles.css

@page {
margin-bottom: 5pt;
margin-top: 5pt
}
@font-face {
font-family: "schreef";
src: url(../Fonts/ACaslonPro-Regular.otf)
}
@font-face {
font-family: "schreefI";
src: url(../Fonts/ACaslonPro-Italic.otf)
}
@font-face {
font-family: "schreefB";
src: url(../Fonts/ACaslonPro-Semibold.otf)
}
@font-face {
font-family: "schreefBI";
src: url(../Fonts/ACaslonPro-SemiboldItalic.otf)
}
@font-face {
font-family: "wpgSC";
src: url(../Fonts/ACaslonPro-SC.otf)
}

In the stylesheet.css, I see the lines:

.Basistabel {
border-collapse: separate;
border-spacing: 2px;
display: table;
margin-bottom: 0;
margin-top: 0;
text-indent: 0
}
.calibre {
display: block;
font-size: 1em;
margin-left: 5pt;
margin-right: 5pt;
padding-left: 0;
padding-right: 0
}
.calibre1 {
color: black;
font-family: "schreef", Serif; font-size: 1em;
font-style: normal;
font-weight: normal;
line-height: 1.25em;
margin-left: 0;
margin-right: 0;
text-align: left

.wpt-cursief {
font-family: "schreefI" }
.wpt-kleinkap {
font-family: "wpgSC" }
.wpt-vet {
font-family: "schreefB" }
.wpt-vet1 {
font-family: "schreefB"; line-height: 1.2
}
sunny1z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:52 PM   #2
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
This epub seems to have an embedded font. So yes, the font is set by the book, but the book also supplies the font. It keeps it in this folder: ../Fonts/ACaslonPro-Regular.otf (which is inside the epub).

If you want to have total control over which fonts you use for reading then indeed you'll have to check every book you read for font specifications. The easiest way to do that is to use Calibre. You can convert each epub you want to read to include all the settings you like, font settings, line height, font (even stripping font settings), margin size etc. You can even convert multiple epubs at a time. I've attached a screenshot of the settings I use so you can get an idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cal1.png
Views:	269
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	99939   Click image for larger version

Name:	cal2.png
Views:	287
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	99940  
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:10 AM   #3
sunny1z
Enthusiast
sunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
You can even convert multiple epubs at a time. I've attached a screenshot of the settings I use so you can get an idea.
Thank you for your advice!

So is stripping the fonts the best thing you can do for your reading experience? Do you do it for your ebooks?
Old 01-24-2013, 07:19 AM   #4
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You're welcome!

It's completely a personal preference. Some people want to read everything with the same settings and their own chosen font. Other people might like to actually read the book in the font that the publisher recommends for the story. When I bought an ereader my main concern was I might miss the specific formatting that you get in some books. And some fonts are really well chosen to suit the story – and I must say I do miss it in the books I read. Up to now, I have stripped the books of all font settings, but only because the ebooks I read weren't well formatted by the publisher: not as much attention had gone to the layout and font as to that of the paper books. Coincidentally the first ebook I found with really nice font and layout formatting was from a new book, and I do not plan to strip that of its font. So who knows, maybe new ebooks might get more attention.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:43 AM   #5
sunny1z
Enthusiast

Quote:
You're welcome!

It's completely a personal preference. Some people want to read everything with the same settings and their own chosen font. Other people might like to actually read the book in the font that the publisher recommends for the story. When I bought an ereader my main concern was I might miss the specific formatting that you get in some books. And some fonts are really well chosen to suit the story – and I must say I do miss it in the books I read. Up to now, I have stripped the books of all font settings, but only because the ebooks I read weren't well formatted by the publisher: not as much attention had gone to the layout and font as to that of the paper books. Coincidentally the first ebook I found with really nice font and layout formatting was from a new book, and I do not plan to strip that of its font. So who knows, maybe new ebooks might get more attention.
Could you tell me the name of the book and the author.. i'm curious to see what it looks like
Old 01-24-2013, 03:54 PM   #6
Mrs_Often
Wizard

It is "Mister Pip" by Lloyd Jones. However, I'm afraid I really cannot remember where I got it. It was a while ago and I only just got around to looking at the book (stupid buying everything that looks interesting or someone recommends wholeheartedly). I know it's not Kobo's version. I just looked at Kobo's version and it's ugly. Mine is from 2004 (Kobo's from 2008); so I suppose it's not as new as I thought. I'll have a look through my email receipts, maybe I can find it. I doubt it though as I throw lots of mails out that I won't be needing any more.

Also, I just looked at the book again and it's not as beautiful as I remember. Just regularly nice font that looks like Georgia which I'm used to reading with, plus instead of chapter headings it has 1/3 of the page blank and the first letter is a prettily made large capital, then the next few words are in capitals, then the rest of the line is in regular text. Just like some paperbacks
Old 01-27-2013, 02:42 PM   #7
sunny1z
Enthusiast

Do you know how to get ride of the fixed line height?
is there a cdd code in calibre to override the setting

.colofon {
color: #000;
font-size: 0.64516em;
font-variant: normal;
line-height: 1.2;
text-align: left;
text-decoration: none;
}
Old 01-27-2013, 03:06 PM   #8
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Well, you could manually just delete the line that says "line-height: 1.2", and then save and pack up the epub again.

Or, if you want to use calibre to covert, you could add the text "line-height" to the field that is visible in that second screen shot of my post in this thread. It's where it says "Select what style information you want completely removed," you can tick some check marks, and then there's the "Other CSS properties" field. That's where you would enter the "line-height"

Good luck!
Old 01-29-2013, 12:44 AM   #9
sunny1z
Enthusiast

thank you for that info. You are so kind.

I was reading a dutch translatef book..and it shows up wierd because words got broken off in a unlogical way sometimes. In another post someone told me it was because of the <span> and <\SPAN> in the code when I showed him how it showed up in Sigil

<p class="Pplat">‘Hij was er een tijdje bij, j<span>a</span>, d<span>a</span>cht ik,’ zei St<span>a</span>n Reeves. ‘Hij heeft geholpen het een en ander voor de delegatie te regelen.’</p>

The Kobo thinks he can cut of the words there. I can delete every <span> and <\SPAN> in Sigil by checking ever page and that clears the screen... but I was wondering if there is an easier way in Calibre.
Don't know how to solve it in an easy way for all my books
Old 01-30-2013, 06:45 AM   #10
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny1z View Post
thank you for that info. You are so kind.
You're welcome!

Quote:
I was reading a dutch translatef book..and it shows up wierd because words got broken off in a unlogical way sometimes. In another post someone told me it was because of the <span> and <\SPAN> in the code when I showed him how it showed up in Sigil

<p class="Pplat">‘Hij was er een tijdje bij, j<span>a</span>, d<span>a</span>cht ik,’ zei St<span>a</span>n Reeves. ‘Hij heeft geholpen het een en ander voor de delegatie te regelen.’</p>

The Kobo thinks he can cut of the words there. I can delete every <span> and <\SPAN> in Sigil by checking ever page and that clears the screen... but I was wondering if there is an easier way in Calibre.
Don't know how to solve it in an easy way for all my books
What a strange place to put span tags! I don't really understand why they're there, that's just weird. Did the books come from an unreliable source?

I don't think Calibre can get rid of them all for you. The code it can change - as far as I know - is the CSS (stylesheets). But maybe someone else will know more and jump in.

In Sigil however, you can get them all removed in one go, but you'll have to do each book individually. Plus, all the span tags that are useful will be gone too, but you might not notice that.

Open the book in Sigil, be sure to view the book in Code mode.
- In the Edit menu, click "Replace"
- The dialog box comes up, and fill "<span>" in the "Find what" field
- Leave the "Replace with" field empty
- Look in: "All HTML files"
- Click "Replace all"

Then do the same for the </span> tag, and save!
Old 01-30-2013, 05:15 PM   #11
Hekse-Mie
Boekenwurm
Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook 623, 903 & 603, 360+, Sony 600, Irex Iliad
Quote:
...Then do the same for the </span> tag, and save!
That is not necessary, with 'replace all', the </span> that are not needed disappear automaticly.

Last edited by Hekse-Mie; 02-12-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Hekse-Mie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:07 AM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hekse-Mie View Post
That is not necessary, with 'replace all', the </span> that are not neaded disappear automaticly.
Minor nit with your comment. You need to make sure that in Preferences => Clean Source, that Automatically Clean and Format HTML... has Replace in all Files checked to have the removal of the matching </span> tags automated on the fly. Drove me up the wall when I switched to Sigil 6.1 64 bit and I started needing to save the file to get the auto clean happening. Finally noticed that the check mark on Replace in all files had disappeared. A bit hard to tell since 6.1 was the buggiest version of Sigil I'd used with the @#$%^& cursor jumping all over the document.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:09 AM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Do you know how to get ride of the fixed line height?
is there a cdd code in calibre to override the setting

.colofon {
color: #000;
font-size: 0.64516em;
font-variant: normal;
line-height: 1.2;
text-align: left;
text-decoration: none;
}
You can remove the line-height but remember the Kobo has a minimum line height of 1.3 so I tend to use 1.2/1.15 which I find readable and removes some of the wasted white space.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:47 AM   #14
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
You can remove the line-height but remember the Kobo has a minimum line height of 1.3 so I tend to use 1.2/1.15 which I find readable and removes some of the wasted white space.

Regards,
David
Yeah I agree. I have Calibre put my line heights to 80% so I can choose properly on the Kobo.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:57 AM   #15
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
What a strange place to put span tags! I don't really understand why they're there, that's just weird.
A lot of books have really weird tags and formatting. Extra <span> tags are very prevalant.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote