Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 06-07-2020, 11:09 PM   #1
LSH
LSH began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader Wifi (original)
[KOBO] Error communicating with device, CantOpenError: unable to open database file

I recently inherited a used Kobo eReader Wifi (there's no other model name; I think it was purchased new in 2014). I was unable to add ebooks to it with Calibre, so I tried factory resets, from the Settings menu and also manually. Now I get the following error every time I try to connect the device to a computer with Calibre (same error on both Windows 10 and Ubuntu 16.04):
calibre, version 4.18.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

CantOpenError: unable to open database file

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 90, in run
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 513, in _books
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/kobo/driver.py", line 338, in books
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/kobo/driver.py", line 175, in device_database_connection
CantOpenError: CantOpenError: unable to open database file
The Kobo is now empty and completely useless. Any suggestions for dealing with this error would be greatly appreciated!
LSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 02:07 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Does the OS see the device? Is it mounting the drive properly and allow you access to it? If it isn't mounted and writeable, calibre cannot use the device.

And is the database actually on the device? This is the file "KoboReader.sqlite" in the directory ".kobo". If it isn't there, where you able to do the setup on the device? You will probably need to do this using the Kobo desktop application.

Otherwise, it might be a symptom of a known issue with the last firmware released for these devices. Sometime after the upgrade, they stop seeing the books on the device. I don't remember seeing reports that calibre stopped seeing the database on the device, but, that might just not have been mentioned.

The fix for this is to restore an image to the internal SD card. This solves the problem. I can supply the image, but there are three versions of the WiFi, model numbers N647, N647B and N289. They use different hardware and hence need different images. You need the correct one to work. The model number should be on the device near the USB port.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2020, 07:48 PM   #3
LSH

Thanks very much for your quick and thorough response, davidfor.

The device is mounted and writeable on both Windows and Ubuntu.

I looked (and changed settings to show hidden files/folders) but could not see the directory ".kobo" or the file "KoboReader.sqlite".

I reinstalled the Kobo software and reset the device again. On the desktop software, I got as far as the window that says "Please plug in your eReader" on the desktop software. I reset the reader's clock, plugged it in, and told it I wanted to make changes to the library (instead of just recharge). When I did this, the file directory for the reader popped up on the computer screen. It's empty. The desktop software has not responded or given me any further instructions; it still says "Please plug in your eReader." The reader says it is connected and charging.

Without any previous ebook reader experience, it's hard to know whether this is expected behavior or not, or what to try next.
Old 06-08-2020, 11:02 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I think the Kobo desktop application should see the device. But, Kobo dropped most of the support for the WiFi early last year. This was because they needed to remove older protocols from their servers that are no longer considered to be secure. But, I think the desktop application still supports the WiFi for setup and transferring books. I have supplied the image to people since this happened. People have said it fixed the problem, so I assume there is a way to get it setup and working.

I don't have a WiFi, so I don't have any personal experience with them. At this point, the issue isn't calibre. You should probably ask the question in the Kobo forum. One of the people who have done this recently should be able to help.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 01:33 AM   #5
LSH

Will do. Thanks again for your assistance!
Advert