Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-10-2014, 11:10 PM   #1
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Amazon acquiring digital comics platform Comixology

http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/10/56...orm-comixology

I hope this doesn't mean I will loose access to my collection. Amazon does not sell Kindle here or ebooks.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:59 PM   #2
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I wonder what the two companies finding "ways to make Comixology and Kindle work better together" will mean for how Comixology functions on the iPad? Is future Comixology development for iOS systems going to take a back seat to all things Kindle?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2014, 06:52 AM   #3
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
They said Comixology would remain independent so expect an Audible-like arrangement: Comixology apps and formats remain mostly unchanged and Kindle adds native support for Comixology format and DRM.
The Comixology indie-pub program may or not be merged with KDP.

This is a typical Amazon buy (The Digital Reader blog saw it coming a mile away); Amazon is interested in comics, Comixology is entrenched and does it better so, instead of a long uphill fight, they buy them. Same as with Audible, Zappos, Diapers.com, etc...
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:31 AM   #4
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
My first thought on seeing the news was "I hope this doesn't put back the possibility of Chromecast support".
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:51 AM   #5
misling
Zealot
misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Possibly related to this:
http://goodereader.com/blog/digital-...e-reading-apps

Adobe dropping support for the Kindle newsstand & reading apps. Might be at least part of the reason why Amazon is looking for tech to publish comics & magazines.
misling is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2014, 09:41 AM   #6
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
My first thought on seeing the news was "I hope this doesn't put back the possibility of Chromecast support".
Read comics on your TV? That never occurred to me, and even now it doesn't sound tempting.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:45 PM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Read comics on your TV? That never occurred to me, and even now it doesn't sound tempting.
A close variant has been tried--motion comics--so it's not out of the question, with panel by panel presentation. Different tastes...
Old 04-11-2014, 01:20 PM   #8
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
It's not motion comics that I want. It would just be nice to view them on a bigger screen.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:21 PM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
A few weeks ago I came across a show on Hulu+ called "State of Syn", which might fit the definition of a motion comic but with photos instead of drawings.

I couldn't get past 2 episodes but I appreciated what they were trying to do.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:27 PM   #10
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
A few weeks ago I came across a show on Hulu+ called "State of Syn", which might fit the definition of a motion comic but with photos instead of drawings.

I couldn't get past 2 episodes but I appreciated what they were trying to do.
The very good CAPER web series (on both Hulu and Youtube) uses motion comics to depict the superhero action and live action for the everyay lives of the heroes. Works really good. (And saves tons of money. )
Old 04-11-2014, 04:35 PM   #11
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
A close variant has been tried--motion comics--so it's not out of the question, with panel by panel presentation. Different tastes...
I've never been impressed by the motion comics I've seen, but that could be a matter of taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
It's not motion comics that I want. It would just be nice to view them on a bigger screen.
I can see that, but for me a 10" tablet using the Comixology system works perfectly fine. A 10" screen is a bit small for a full-page layout, though.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:03 PM   #12
Kirtai
Addict
Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-650, iPad, Samsung Galaxy SII (JB), Google Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
While I don't even have a TV I do enjoy reading comics on my 24" portrait monitor. I admit it feels quite different to reading paper or on a tablet.
Kirtai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:40 PM   #13
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
funny thing is that ComiXology's guided view was made for small screens

thanks to it I've been reading comics perfectly fine on smaller smartphone screens than my current 5"

if it ever works swiftly on e-ink Kindle (with quicker refresh rates and possibly a slightly beefed up CPU), I hope they also add more memory than the usual 2GB. This is a lot of images we're talking about...

may this also suggest that a color eInk Kindle is finally due?
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:43 PM   #14
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post

may this also suggest that a color eInk Kindle is finally due?
Liquavista Kindle might get here next year.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:45 PM   #15
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Strange thing is, last graphic novel I read—just last week, in fact—was a hard back from the Marvel Illustrated series of adaptations of the classics, although before buying it, I did look for it first without success in the Comixology store.

It was excellent, by the way; far truer to the book than film adaptations I'd seen. I'll have to read some more of the Marvel Illustrated series.