Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 01-21-2008, 12:30 PM   #1
nermalscoot
nermalscoot began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
has anyone used copistar to convert mobi to pdf?

i was wondering if anyone has ever used copistar to copi DRMed mobipocket ebooks into pdf? i downloaded their demo version and it did seem to copy the book in a readable pdf, but the demo will only copy the first 6 pages of the book and it puts this ugly watermark on each page. but i am wondering if this pdf can then be converted into lrf for easy reading on the sony reader or if the pdfs that this product produces can be easily viewed on the sony reader?
nermalscoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:24 AM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
This is the first time I heard about this product. Interesting how they answer the question "Does it remove protection?":

Quote:
Copistar does not remove or “circumvent” encryption nor any security protections built into the documents.
But you said Copistar works with DRM'ed Mobipocket files? If this is the case, and given Mobipocket's history in dealing with these kind of tools, I don't think it will last very long...

To answer your question, it all depends on how Copistar creates the output PDF file. If it's actually parsing text in the source and displaying text in the output file, then you can use a tool like pdflrf to convert it to LRF. However, if the output is "just" graphics, then it won't be as usable.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2008, 05:37 AM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
It seems it's just a glorified screenshot taker. As for OCRing screen text, there's always Kleptomania.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:58 AM   #4
nermalscoot

i tried copistar last nite and it produced a nice looking pdf. i'm also able to set the page-size of the output pdf so that it matches my sony reader. by using a big font size, the tool produces a pdf that is quite readable. i just copied Pillars of the Earth which is a big book. it produced a pdf that was 73mb! that's pretty large. it takes forever to turn the page on my reader. i can press the page turn when i'm halfway through the page and it read the rest of the page before it actually turns! crazy.

as for transforming the pdf into lrf directly, i don't think it will be possible because the produced pdf doesn't seem to contain true text. the pages appear to be just graphical.

i'll look into something like that kleptomania tool or something to see if i can get the text out and produce a smaller sized book file for easier reading on the sony reader
Old 01-29-2008, 02:50 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm slightly puzzled why anyone would WANT to convert Mobi to PDF. People generally want to do the opposite!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2008, 09:50 AM   #6
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm slightly puzzled why anyone would WANT to convert Mobi to PDF. People generally want to do the opposite!
si they can read it on their sony or kindle readers I assume?
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:53 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
si they can read it on their sony or kindle readers I assume?
You can already modify Mobi with DRM so it's readable on the Kindle. The only devices that would need to convert is the 500/505 and the V3.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:54 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There's no problem with the Kindle - it will read Mobi books.

For the Sony, one could use Tompe's "mobi2html" tool to "explode" it into HTML, and then "html2lrf" to convert to Sony format.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:53 PM   #9
nermalscoot

does Tompe's mobi2html tool convert DRM'd mobis? because that's what i am talking about. i have a sony prs 505 and i cannot read DRM'd mobis on it. i need to be able convert DRM'd mobipocket books. the kindle hack doesn't work for sony readers.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:03 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by nermalscoot View Post
does Tompe's mobi2html tool convert DRM'd mobis? because that's what i am talking about. i have a sony prs 505 and i cannot read DRM'd mobis on it. i need to be able convert DRM'd mobipocket books. the kindle hack doesn't work for sony readers.
No it does not work with DRM. The Kindle hack does not remove DRM anyway so it would be of no use on a Sony.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote