Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-01-2006, 11:44 PM   #1
JazZi
JazZi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2; Sony PRS-505
Fancy Cover Review, Anyone?

Considering ordering one of the $39 leather covers, but wanted to see if anyone has received one, and what their impression was before I made the leap.

Last edited by JazZi; 11-02-2006 at 05:41 PM.
JazZi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 02:18 AM   #2
Nightwing
Addict
Nightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enough

Device: Cowon A2 Dell x3i, Sony Reader & Eee PC!
Here is a link to a brown one I picked up last week...

http://nightwing.smugmug.com/gallery...30/1/106085293
Nightwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2006, 08:08 AM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Nightwing... Did the brown cover have a stiffer front? The black one that comes with the Sony Reader is nice, but I'm afraid someone will squeeze to hard and break the screen, and I don't feel comfortable putting it in a bag, portfolio or backpack for the same reason.

That would be a nice addition.... a case with a titanium insert. Light, thin and strong.

Of course, there's still the fact that it will "click" the joystick control if you squeeze the cover when you pick it up, but that's probably not a big deal unless the Reader is on and at a menu.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 09:07 AM   #4
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell
Of course, there's still the fact that it will "click" the joystick control if you squeeze the cover when you pick it up, but that's probably not a big deal unless the Reader is on and at a menu.
I also hit the number buttons occasionally, so I always turn it off.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 09:11 AM   #5
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Such a pity the covers have such unappealing colours. The black stock cover looks great. If only they made a tougher leather version of it.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2006, 09:19 AM   #6
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Patience guys!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 09:33 AM   #7
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Yep, I would gladly buy a stronger nice quality dark brown or black leather version of the stock cover. If nice, it would probably make me want to read for purely aesthetic reasons. Similar to how some people feel about beautifully bound books, I suppose.

My only concern would be (and for me it's very important) that it still slides into the dock without having to be removed. I like the dock, and I don't like frequently clipping/unclipping the fastener on the back of the case.

Like Yvan hints at, I'm sure there will be some nice third party covers if the Reader continues to be popular. And people who will spend $350 on a Reader device, probably are a great market for sophisticated looking upscale leather covers also. Anyone listening?.... <hint> <hint> It's a great market opportunity!!!!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 09:50 AM   #8
vanker
vanker began at the beginning.

It would be really cool if Vaja Cases would make a cover for it. They do a lot of high end leather cases for various gadgets. I wrote an e-mail asking if they had plans to make one for the reader, but they had no clue what I was talking about. I took that as a no.
www.vajacases.com

Last edited by vanker; 11-02-2006 at 10:10 AM.
vanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 10:02 AM   #9
sarahw2275
Connoisseur
sarahw2275 began at the beginning.

I see that J & R have the covers available now. Strange that secondary retailers have them but the Sony Website doesn't have them available for shipping yet!!
sarahw2275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 10:38 AM   #10
Kosst Amojan
Addict
Kosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I just sent a message to Vaja, hopefully they'll get the message if enough of us do it.
Kosst Amojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 10:45 AM   #11
jmdor
Enthusiast
jmdor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle; ex-Sony PRS500
I don't think the leather cover is any stiffer. It is a nice feel (black would have been better than brown, though). The magnets are weak but sufficient. I had already started nicking the black cover, so got the leather one. I think a stiff cover is a great idea.
jmdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 10:56 AM   #12
Nightwing
Addict
Nightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Nightwing... Did the brown cover have a stiffer front? The black one that comes with the Sony Reader is nice, but I'm afraid someone will squeeze to hard and break the screen, and I don't feel comfortable putting it in a bag, portfolio or backpack for the same reason.

That would be a nice addition.... a case with a titanium insert. Light, thin and strong.

As flexible as the original...

Was think of slitting the bottom or inside and sliding something to stiffen it up. The case for the Cowon A2 PMP has a stiff cover that covers the screen. Also the Dell PDA has a tought sides.

Would be nice for a insert that fits the controls and give protection...

Will try to sketch something when I have a chance... Could glue it in.

Also a piece of thin steel wound work I guess.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:57 AM   #13
Nightwing
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdor
I don't think the leather cover is any stiffer. It is a nice feel (black would have been better than brown, though). The magnets are weak but sufficient. I had already started nicking the black cover, so got the leather one. I think a stiff cover is a great idea.
Its not any stiffer...
Old 11-02-2006, 02:02 PM   #14
Kosst Amojan
Addict
Kosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Vaja just got back to me (at least they were quick)

Hi (Kosst Amojan),
Unfortunately, we do not have plans to develop a case for that particular device.
We appreciate, all the same, your keen interest in our products. Thanks!

Kind regards,

www.vajacases.com
www.vajachoice.com
Kosst Amojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 05:19 PM   #15
SoCal Bob
Connoisseur
SoCal Bob began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader, iLiad, Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:

My only concern would be (and for me it's very important) that it still slides into the dock without having to be removed. I like the dock, and I don't like frequently clipping/unclipping the fastener on the back of the case.

Like Yvan hints at, I'm sure there will be some nice third party covers if the Reader continues to be popular. And people who will spend $350 on a Reader device, probably are a great market for sophisticated looking upscale leather covers also. Anyone listening?.... <hint> <hint> It's a great market opportunity!!!!
I have the brown leather cover and I have no problem fitting it into the stand with the cover on (with the clear insert removed).

I do agree with you that a higher end cover would be nicer. This cover has a suede like finish and is fairly rough on the inside. May look the worse for the wear after a while. There is no screen protection beyond the "native" stiffness of the cover itself.

Other considerations:
- the cover is fairly heavy and almost doubles the weight of the "naked" reader
- the mount on mine is about 2 degrees off so the reader is slightly out of alignment. A nit to be sure but irritating to an "A" type

Last edited by SoCal Bob; 11-02-2006 at 05:37 PM.
SoCal Bob is offline   Reply With Quote