Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-21-2010, 08:25 PM   #1
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & Simple & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Kobo Clara
Waterstones subscribe-to-rent or subscribe-to-keep service

Waterstones in the UK are running a survey on book and ebook purchasing. Apart from the usual 'how many' and 'what genre' questions there some interesting questions about a proposed subscribe-to-rent or subscribe-to-keep service.

I've no interest at all in a subscribe-to-rent service and I'm sure a subscribe-to-keep' option would be more expensive, for me, than my current 'buy-only-what-is-not-available-free' option.

http://www.voodoores.co.uk/ebooks/
banjomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:52 AM   #2
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
It's certainly an interesting idea. A rental service would only work if all the titles were instantly available, though. If I had to sit waiting for a reservation there'd be no difference to a public library. I'd be interested in a 'subscribe-to-rent' option that had significantly broader range than the library with guaranteed availability.

The most interesting question is hidden around the middle of the survey - they talk about the option of ebooks being available in advance of the printed release.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2010, 04:08 AM   #3
millicent
millicent doesn't littermillicent doesn't littermillicent doesn't litter

Device: Kindle, iPod and iRiver Story
I should be very interested to know if Waterstones have talked to The Society of Authors about this proposal. They seem to be very free and easy with authors rights here. At the very least they would have to re-negotiate all the contracts that they have with existing authors.
millicent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:14 AM   #4
colinsky
Addict
colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
I quite like this idea -- the "lend" model sounds just like a private library with an extensive book selection.
colinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:44 AM   #5
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
Not all the subscription models were lending. Some were more like a book club where you can pick so many titles a month and keep them. The key will be the content that they are able to offer - if it isn't pretty comprehensive, it won't be worth a monthly subscription to me. For lending, I'd rather the public libraries got it right, rather than having private subscription services for the wealthy (like what I am )
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2010, 05:02 AM   #6
Direct Ebooks
Hibernian eBook Warrior
Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony Reader
Who are voodoores.com? The survey is hosted on an unusual site - be warned!
Direct Ebooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:16 AM   #7
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Direct Ebooks View Post
Who are voodoores.com? The survey is hosted on an unusual site - be warned!
LOL, did you even try finding out?

Why not give them a phone call on 020 7723 6000.

Hint: dodgy websites don't usually have a contact phone no on their front page.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:49 AM   #8
sony_fox
Zealot
sony_fox has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Auroa H2O
Quote:
Hint: dodgy websites don't usually have a contact phone no on their front page
Maybe not. But I'd rather see a link to an official Waterstones site before I go there, or believe it has anything to do with them.
sony_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:51 AM   #9
millicent
millicent doesn't littermillicent doesn't littermillicent doesn't litter

Device: Kindle, iPod and iRiver Story
They are a very large and well respected marketing consultancy. Their client lists includes such dodgy people as the BBC, Channel 4 and Carlsberg. The survey is clearly legit.
millicent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:31 AM   #10
Pardoz
Which side are you on?
Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2 Int'l
Quote:
Originally Posted by millicent View Post
I should be very interested to know if Waterstones have talked to The Society of Authors about this proposal. They seem to be very free and easy with authors rights here. At the very least they would have to re-negotiate all the contracts that they have with existing authors.
Well, for Waterstones to renegotiate contracts with existing authors, they would first have to negotiate contracts with them. Last I checked, Waterstones are a bookstore, not a publisher.
Pardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:52 AM   #11
roger the rabbit
Addict
roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T3, 650 Black, 505, Kobo Glo HD Aura ONE
As a British expatriate living in Spain I wonder if they will address the geographic restrictions issue.

If they do I would be very interested in the rent option as I am unable to use a public library.
roger the rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:56 AM   #12
Direct Ebooks
Hibernian eBook Warrior
Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
LOL, did you even try finding out?

Why not give them a phone call on 020 7723 6000.

Hint: dodgy websites don't usually have a contact phone no on their front page.
My bad!
I did try the website earlier and nothing came up....pesky technology.
Direct Ebooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:07 AM   #13
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
The lending or renting idea sounds great to me, but I doubt the publishers will allow it. But who knows, as the years go by and this all shakes out.... anything is possible.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:12 AM   #14
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by millicent View Post
Waterstones is a retailer, not a publisher. They don't negotiate contracts with authors. Any re-negotiating would be between publisher and author.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:17 AM   #15
roger the rabbit
Addict
roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T3, 650 Black, 505, Kobo Glo HD Aura ONE
Looks from the survey they are considering the Amazon / B&N route of a dedicated reader.

With the quality of Waterstones customer service I shudder.
roger the rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote