Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-08-2009, 03:51 AM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by smp_iliad View Post
I have some concern about "unknown" bugs. Maybe it's the case of just my DR, but I continue to see many unknown bugs that force me to reset the device frequently. I guess that's mostly related to memory leaks. Thesedays, I have to reset the device once a day on average to put the system into fresh state. Even if suspend mode is introduced later, I think I'll continue to power off the device to "refresh" it. So, to some extent, opening previous documents in boot time make sense to me.
I'm curious what it is that you're doing that causes this; I've never had to reset my DR. Not once. I am, however, just using it as a Mobi reader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:59 AM   #32
smp_iliad
Connoisseur
smp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-books

Device: KindleDX, iPhone3Gs
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm curious what it is that you're doing that causes this; I've never had to reset my DR. Not once. I am, however, just using it as a Mobi reader.
One obvious case is when I open dictionary while reading mobi books. DR crashes often.
smp_iliad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2009, 10:19 AM   #33
KingDani
Zealot
KingDani began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000s,Gigabyte U60 UMPC, SmartQ v7,EKEN M001
i don't know about your problem but i myself found , that major problems occur with a Toshiba SDHC 8 gb card. just thought others might have to know about it.
KingDani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:49 AM   #34
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDani View Post
i don't know about your problem but i myself found , that major problems occur with a Toshiba SDHC 8 gb card. just thought others might have to know about it.
SDHC isn't officially supported. Many users say they work fine, but there could be unknown compatibility problems that others just haven't run into yet.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:12 PM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smp_iliad View Post
One obvious case is when I open dictionary while reading mobi books. DR crashes often.
That is strange. I do that a lot and it works just fine for me. I wonder if the problem might lie with the specific dictionary that you're using?
Advert
Old 07-09-2009, 12:28 PM   #36
smp_iliad
Connoisseur
smp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-bookssmp_iliad has learned how to read e-books

Device: KindleDX, iPhone3Gs
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That is strange. I do that a lot and it works just fine for me. I wonder if the problem might lie with the specific dictionary that you're using?
I have two dictionaries: Oxford Pocket English Dictionary, Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary. I'm not sure which one of two causes the crash.
smp_iliad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:15 PM   #37
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I have the Chambers Unabridged Dictionary, 10th Edition. It seems to be rock solid with that.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:41 PM   #38
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I use the Collins Unabridged English Dictionary which also crashes the reader occasionally. I find if I open it prior to using the dictionary lookup from within PDFs it is more reliable (although possibly slows down page turns).
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:42 AM   #39
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
How big are these dictionary files? Could it be a case of the DR running out of memory trying to open/parse through the entire dictionary? Maybe smaller ones work well and larger ones don't?
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 01:21 AM   #40
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
How big are these dictionary files? Could it be a case of the DR running out of memory trying to open/parse through the entire dictionary? Maybe smaller ones work well and larger ones don't?
I thought of that but Harry's dictionary (which works fine) and mine (which crashes occasionally) are both 25 MB. I believe smp_iliad's dictionaries, one of which also cause crashes, are both smaller than this.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 04:03 PM   #41
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieClarken View Post
I thought of that but Harry's dictionary (which works fine) and mine (which crashes occasionally) are both 25 MB. I believe smp_iliad's dictionaries, one of which also cause crashes, are both smaller than this.
I think it sounds more like corrupt entries in the file. I would suggest trying to reload your dictionary to the DR from a clean copy, such as re-downloading the file if possible.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 05:05 AM   #42
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Different dictionaries do seem to cause different issues. Eg, in the early CyBook firmware versions, my Chambers dictionary would cause my Gen3 to randomly reboot perhaps 1 time in 3 when looking up a word (or rather, looking up 1 word in 3 would cause a reboot - the same word would either consistently reboot or not), whereas other dictionaries worked fine. Bookeen were able to sort out those problems pretty quickly - hopefully iRex will do the same.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:18 AM   #43
myprecious
Zealot
myprecious began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
It's already August and there's no new firmware
myprecious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:56 AM   #44
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
I've been thinking the same thing. They shouldn't play with my emotions like this
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 04:46 AM   #45
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardwillie View Post
I've been thinking the same thing. They shouldn't play with my emotions like this
You're kidding, right?
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote