Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-03-2011, 09:00 AM   #1
peacedog
peacedog began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Did I get my kindle stuck in USB Drive Mode?

So I had a problem with my previous kindle and had to return it to Amazon and I got my replacement recently. Monday morning I plugged it in via the USB chord to fully charge it. I saw an indicator light by the power switch and even heard the odd windows "external storage media connected" sound.

I left it plugged in all Monday and into Tuesday (there was no time to read Monday night so I just sort of forgot about it). Some time Tuesday day I lost power - this may or may not be relevant.

Now, the Kindle is stuck displaying the "USB Drive Mode" screen. Powering it up does nothing - no lights flash or anything. Attempting to power it down or do a hard reset does nothing. Plugging it in via USB or to a power outlet does nothing. My computer doesn't show the kindle as being attached, so there is nothing to eject.

Does anybody have any suggestions or ideas as to what happened? I am thinking I'm going to have to call Amazon again and try to get another replacement. But I thought I would ask here first.
peacedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:57 AM   #2
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Uplug the Kindle
Push the Power Button All The Way Over and Hold It
Slowly Count to at Least 15
Let Go of the Button
DON'T TOUCH IT
Wait a Couple of Minutes and See if It Resets

Sometimes it will take awhile before it starts the reboot process so don't touch the Kindle for at least a minute

If that doesn't work call Kindle Customer Support and see if they can help you get it rebooted
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2011, 10:09 AM   #3
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I have also read that you should hold the switch for 30-40 seconds to force a full reboot?

Now a power failure could also mean there was a surge? But your computer is working correctly? Also, try another usb port.

Good luck
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:52 PM   #4
peacedog
peacedog began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I Tried all available USB ports, and verified all the ports are working (with other USB devices).

I actually tried numerous hard resets and just did another. So far, no good.
peacedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:31 PM   #5
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
I have also read that you should hold the switch for 30-40 seconds to force a full reboot?
This is what I would try. My K3 has been "stuck" before and I had to hold the on switch over for a very long time - probably 30 seconds. Then I let it sit for another very long time - probably 2-3 minutes before it did anything.

If it still doesn't work, I would say a call to Amazon CS is in order.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2011, 08:01 PM   #6
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Try a full charge of twelve hours. That cures plenty of problems.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:11 PM   #7
crash86
Enthusiast
crash86 is a splendid one to beholdcrash86 is a splendid one to beholdcrash86 is a splendid one to beholdcrash86 is a splendid one to beholdcrash86 is a splendid one to beholdcrash86 is a splendid one to beholdcrash86 is a splendid one to beholdcrash86 is a splendid one to beholdcrash86 is a splendid one to beholdcrash86 is a splendid one to beholdcrash86 is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kindle 3, K4 and PW 1st gen
I just had that happen to me today as a matter of fact. I was using Calibre and when I ejected the Kindle it stayed in the USB mode and wouldn't do anything. I held the power button all the way for about 20-30 seconds and nothing. I plugged it back into the socket plug, held the button again and after about a minute or so it rebooted and it is fine now. scared that I would have to call customer service and get a new one. Hope that the tips that other users gave you worked for you
crash86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 06:54 AM   #8
Benazir Mujawar
Benazir Mujawar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Red face Thank you.. this trick worked for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
Uplug the Kindle
Push the Power Button All The Way Over and Hold It
Slowly Count to at Least 15
Let Go of the Button
DON'T TOUCH IT
Wait a Couple of Minutes and See if It Resets

Sometimes it will take awhile before it starts the reboot process so don't touch the Kindle for at least a minute

If that doesn't work call Kindle Customer Support and see if they can help you get it rebooted

Thank you so much,this trick worked on my Kindle!!
Benazir Mujawar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 04:12 PM   #9
dani1
dani1 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dani1 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dani1 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dani1 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dani1 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dani1 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dani1 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dani1 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dani1 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dani1 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dani1 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: paperweight
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash86 View Post
I just had that happen to me today as a matter of fact. I was using Calibre and when I ejected the Kindle it stayed in the USB mode and wouldn't do anything. I held the power button all the way for about 20-30 seconds and nothing. I plugged it back into the socket plug, held the button again and after about a minute or so it rebooted and it is fine now. scared that I would have to call customer service and get a new one. Hope that the tips that other users gave you worked for you
Thankyou worked for my kindle paperweight, connecting to pc before trying to re-boot worked, couldnt reboot without doing this first, thanks.
dani1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:13 AM   #10
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Glad you got it fixed. My PW's randomly do this too. I'm glad you kept messing with it until it started working - that's usually the trick with them when it comes to this odd glitch.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stuck, stuck in usb storage mode