Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-07-2012, 03:23 PM   #14326
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Thanks and it does say not available to US customers. I may come across it in a used book store sometime, so I'll add it to my list.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:46 PM   #14327
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
As a paper book? The "Campion" books aren't available as eBooks, are they? Or was it a different book?
No, they aren't. So I've been scanning in the ones I had.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2012, 04:11 PM   #14328
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
That's the next one on my Kate Shugak TBR list, but lately I've been getting sidetracked and reading in other genres.
I have #3 Deep in the Water as my next book to read.

Currently I am reading Star Trek: Typhon Pact: Brinkmanship.

Quote:
The Venette Convention has always remained independent, but it is about to become the flashpoint for a tense military standoff between the two power blocs now dominating interstellar space—the United Federation of Planets and the recently formed Typhon Pact. The Venetan government turns to the Typhon Pact’s Tzenkethi Coalition for protection in the new order, and has agreed to allow three of their supply bases for Tzenkethi use. But these bases—if militarized—would put Tzenkethi weapons unacceptably close to Federation, Cardassian, and Ferengi space. While Captain Ezri Dax and the crew of the U.S.S. Aventine are sent to investigate exactly what is happening at one of the Venette bases, Captain Jean-Luc Picard and the U.S.S. Enterprise are assigned to a diplomatic mission sent to the Venette homeworld in order to broker a mutually acceptable resolution. But the Cardassian delegates don’t seem particularly keen on using diplomacy to resolve the situation, which soon spirals out of control toward all-out war. . . .
So far a good read.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:18 PM   #14329
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm popping in after a beautifully quiet afternoon on the patio during which I was able to enjoy a classic cozy mystery, The Window at the White Cat by Mary Roberts Rinehart (also available in MobileRead's Patricia Clark Memorial Library).

I enjoy reading about the differences in how things are handled from that era to this one. The whole surface politeness would be alien to many today, although I believe the political corruption and all-boys' club aspect hasn't changed over time.

It was worth putting off my laundry and cleaning to read this, but now I have to catch up with what I put off.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:20 AM   #14330
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I'm right in the middle of 'The Bourne Identity' and marvel at Robert Ludlum's ability to keep you on the edge of your seat, even when you know what's going to happen! I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series.

Stitchawl
Oh good to hear that. It's been on my TBR list for quite a long time now. Love the movies.

I've been reading Royal Assassin (Farseer #2, by Robin Hobb) but it's kind of gloomy for a YA series, so I might not read Farseer #3 right after #2. Perhaps because the other books I'm reading are not very cheery either.
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2012, 08:07 AM   #14331
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by maianhvk View Post
I've been reading Royal Assassin (Farseer #2, by Robin Hobb) but it's kind of gloomy for a YA series, so I might not read Farseer #3 right after #2. Perhaps because the other books I'm reading are not very cheery either.
I certainly wouldn't consider this to be a "YA" series in any way whatsoever. What makes you think of it as one?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:10 AM   #14332
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Just about to finish The Damned Busters then starting Empire (Star Force #6) by B.V. Larson.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:01 PM   #14333
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by maianhvk View Post
Oh good to hear that. It's been on my TBR list for quite a long time now. Love the movies.
While I really enjoy both the movies and the books, they are only loosely related to each other, so try not to go into them expecting the books to match what you saw in the movies. After the first one, I think the only relation is the main character's name. Even the first one was modified heavily for the movie.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:09 PM   #14334
dreams
It's about the umbrella

< about The Night Life of the Gods by Thorne Smith (in MobileRead's Patricia Clark Memorial Library) >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
This book had several highs and lows. The lows were somewhat boring and a trifle long winded but the highs were great and hilarious and in greater quantities. I was shocked at how frank the book was regarding mores and sex especially being written in 1931. Perhaps, the Hayes code affected novels also? A nice read and definitely worth the effort to track down a print copy. The fish market and courtroom scenes had me laughing out loud. The cat already believes me crazy. She needs no further evidence. Rated B- [4 stars].

Unsure of my next read.
I had this on my reader and decided to delve into it yesterday. I'm a little over a third of the way through and agree about the lows and highs, so far. *I had to look up The Hayes Code* I am enjoying the book, so far, and look forward to seeing how it progresses. I think it didn't surprise me as much about the "mores and sex", as I had just been reading about the life of Evelyn Nesbit from that era and looking into a book about her life, Beauty Possessed by Ben Lokey. * Money makes its own rules, no matter what the era *
Old 10-08-2012, 04:18 PM   #14335
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I really loved that book, as I did the author's Topper. I may do a rare re-read one day, or maybe just delve into something else by Thorne Smith.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:07 PM   #14336
dreams
It's about the umbrella

I loved the book, Topper by Thorne Smith, as well as the movie with Cary Grant.

Now that reminds me of the movie, Harvey (a pooka - the invisible 6 foot 3 1/2 inch rabbit), starring James Stewart. Time to start making a list of cold winter night movies.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:09 PM   #14337
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Finished Graverobbers Wanted (No Experience Necessary) by Jeff Strand, and what can I say? Fun, gore, frights, & humor. This is the first in the Andrew Mayhem series. Recommended.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:21 AM   #14338
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I certainly wouldn't consider this to be a "YA" series in any way whatsoever. What makes you think of it as one?
Because the first book deals with problems a child/teenager might have, being a royal bastard. So I automatically put them all in "YA"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
While I really enjoy both the movies and the books, they are only loosely related to each other, so try not to go into them expecting the books to match what you saw in the movies. After the first one, I think the only relation is the main character's name. Even the first one was modified heavily for the movie.
It's like How to train your dragon, then? Even better.
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:33 AM   #14339
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Snuff by Terry Pratchett.
Another excellent discworld book, featuring Sam Vimes

Next up: Prince of the Blood by Raymond E. Feist.

The start of the sequel to the trilogy that began with Magician, set 20 years after.

And I find that Magician/Silverthorn/A Darkness at Sethanon and Daughter of the Empire/Servant of the Empire/Mistress of the Empire have all recently become available as ebooks. They are next on my "to be bought" list.

I have read Prince of the Blood, many years ago, but this is a revised edition.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:27 AM   #14340
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Currently reading: Carmilla by Joseph Sheridan le Fanu
On deck: Black Swan Green by David Mitchell

Last edited by John F; 10-09-2012 at 11:47 AM.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote