Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-20-2017, 02:29 AM   #1
fraggle111
fraggle111 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, H2O, Kindle PW
Question Nightmode

Good morning!

Just an information for all those who, like myself, consider nightmode as essential;

the new Kindle Oasis is going to have a nightmode....

No patch required ;-)
fraggle111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 05:31 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moved out of the Kobo Developer's Forum.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:16 AM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
@Dr. Drib, Ref: Your signature.

Is telepathy native language based or does it present itself as universal symbols?

"English Teacher" usually implies "Teenage Students".
What adult in their right mind would want to know what goes on in a teenager's mind?

Dogs can't talk, but Dingos can and sometimes do.
My boy Dingo, who could speak Dog, Dingo, English and was working on Spanish, startled a lot of people by answering them.
But he wasn't an inspired conversationalist. Anyone who thinks it might be interesting to know what your Canid has on his mind is in for a big disappointment.
Frolic, food, fornication, not necessarily in that order.
Probably the same as you will get out of reading the minds of the common teenager, even if in an English class.

(A true story by the way.)

Last edited by knc1; 10-20-2017 at 01:07 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:43 AM   #4
kansaskyle
Addict
kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & Forma, Kindle Voyage, PW, and Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraggle111 View Post
Good morning!

Just an information for all those who, like myself, consider nightmode as essential;

No patch required ;-)
Where did you see/hear about this feature? This would be a nice feature for Kindle to compete with those that like it on the Kobo Aura One.
kansaskyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:37 AM   #5
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaskyle View Post
Where did you see/hear about this feature? This would be a nice feature for Kindle to compete with those that like it on the Kobo Aura One.
I am looking forward to this capability. It's been mentioned in several reviews. It's also in the list of accessibility features on the Oasis product page on the Amazon website.

Quote:
The VoiceView screen reader, available over Bluetooth audio, enables access to the vast majority of Kindle Oasis features. Kindle Oasis also includes the ability to Invert Black and White, adjust font size, font face, line spacing and margins.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:00 PM   #6
kansaskyle
Addict
kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & Forma, Kindle Voyage, PW, and Oasis 3
Ah, so "night mode" is the inverted screen with white text on a black background.

I was hopeful it would be more along the lines of the "comfort light" feature that the Kobo Aura One offers. I like it, and use it every night.
kansaskyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 02:43 PM   #7
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I love the comfort light on my KA1 and use it every night too! I wish that Amazon had incorporated it on the new Oasis. I have the current Oasis. The Kindle screen at night just seems too blue once you have gotten used to the KA1. I am hoping that the inverted colors help to make up for that at night. I would value the comfort light over the waterproof feature, but it's sadly not to be in this latest Kindle model.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 06:26 AM   #8
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
For those unfamiliar with Kobos, "Comfortlight Pro" allows changing the color of the light. "Comfortlight" is the traditional lighting (similar to the PW, Voyage, ...).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 08:11 AM   #9
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
My phone has a "nightmode" I tried it briefly, couldn't see the point to it, and don't think of it much any longer. It seems to be very important to some people. If I cared, I suppose I could have a "nightmode" for my Paperwhite by slipping on a pair of amber sunglasses to read.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 05:35 AM   #10
fraggle111

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaskyle View Post
There are Seevetal hands-on-videos in YouTube.

And I asked Amazon :-)
Old 10-29-2017, 08:18 AM   #11
newday07
Connoisseur
newday07 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
For those unfamiliar with Kobos, "Comfortlight Pro" allows changing the color of the light. "Comfortlight" is the traditional lighting (similar to the PW, Voyage, ...).
Thank you!
newday07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 10:11 AM   #12
Demingy
Groupie
Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraggle111 View Post
Good morning!

No patch required ;-)
I had managed to completely talk myself out of upgrading my fairly new Oasis until I found this out. Now I’m back to trying to talk myself out of the upgrade.
Demingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 11:00 AM   #13
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
To be clear: the nightmode in KO2 inverts the screen so it's white text on black. It does not shift the light toward yellow / red like the kobo or as done on tablets with apps like f.lux.

If you want to simulate how it'll look like you can load the book I made (attached). With KO2's nightmode, the whole screen will be white on black and there won't be flashing on page turn. Other than that, this will be how it will look.
Attached Files
File Type: azw3 Metamorphosis - white on black.azw3 (579.4 KB, 142 views)
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 06:58 AM   #14
fraggle111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demingy View Post
I had managed to completely talk myself out of upgrading my fairly new Oasis until I found this out. Now I’m back to trying to talk myself out of the upgrade.

Same here! I'm not a fan of the amazon - system. But this reader seems to have built in everything I want.... *sigh*.

Olivia