Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-15-2017, 06:33 AM   #1
lehbaurd
lehbaurd began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Deleting unwanted homescreen thumbnails after updating Voyage

Hope someone can help me.

My Voyage was only ever connected to the internet when I originally registered it when the model first came out.

I like to control as far as possible what is on the device so books have always been sideloaded. I was seduced by the features in the 5.8.11 firmware and "upgraded" but have encountered a issue.

The home screen now shows thumbnails for books that I have previously deleted (which was not the case before) and there is no option to remove them that I can find - only to download them again to the device.

I've tried the following:

1. Turned off Whispersync and automatic updates in my Amazon account then downloaded the book. Turned on Airplane mode on Kindle. Deleted the book. Result: thumbnail still there.

2. Reset the Voyage. However it syncs to the Amazon account and I am left with the thumbnails and deleting the books after download does not remove them.

Am I missing something? Is there a way of registering the Kindle and avoiding the syncing? Or of completely removing the book after download and leaving no thumbnail?

I know that I could delete the content on my Amazon account but that seems extremely drastic for such a simple task.
lehbaurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 09:00 AM   #2
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
I had that problem with a thumbnail recently. It was in a collection and I was not able to delete it until I removed it from the collection. Once it was out of any collections, I was able to delete it and make the thumbnail disappear.
Shad Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 10:13 AM   #3
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I am slightly confused at what you mean about thumbnails on the home screen. Do you have "Home Screen View" turned on? Where it shows you the last books you opened and your reading lists? Not sure what it shows in place of the reading lists if you don't have goodreads linked.

Or do you mean you have your books showing by grid view, instead of list view.

Change from ALL on the left top to DOWNLOADED. So it should show only your downloaded stuff. On ALL it will show everything, including things not on the device anymore but in the cloud.

Not sure if that is the issue you are having though.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 02:40 AM   #4
lehbaurd
lehbaurd began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Thanks for the replies.

Having played around with resetting and registering again a few times my understanding is that these thumbnails are basically download links to the Cloud collection which the setup process places automatically on the Home Screen.

As Atunah says you can use the filter to show only "downloaded" items - I assume that if I don't use the links to download from the Collection only the sideloaded books would show.

However in the interests of tidiness I would like to set up my Voyage as I had it before - ie without the download thumbnails. Is there a way to prevent them being placed on the device in the first place other than by deleting the collection on the Cloud or registering to a different Amazon account?
lehbaurd is offline   Reply With Quote