Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-01-2012, 10:06 PM   #1
LiamXW
LiamXW began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle With Keyboard
Should I Upgrade From My Kindle Keyboard

As said in the title, I have a kindle keyboard which I have been using since September, but I am interested in getting a kindle touch. I have been hearing many problems about accidentally turning pages while reading and that it is not comfortable to hold for extended periods of time. I am also interested in the fact that it has the x-ray feature because I am in 11th grade and this feature could make it easier to complete my summer reading and book assignments. I also love to highlight, add notes, and look up words in the books that I have on the kindle and I was wondering can you do this more faster and efficiently on the touch or on the keyboard? Should I stick with my kindle keyboard or move up to a touch screen?

Also, I have a kindle cover with the light attached to it for my kindle keyboard and I am wondering can this cover be used on the kindle touch or will I have to buy a separate cover for the touch?
LiamXW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:40 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamXW View Post
As said in the title, I have a kindle keyboard which I have been using since September, but I am interested in getting a kindle touch. I have been hearing many problems about accidentally turning pages while reading and that it is not comfortable to hold for extended periods of time.
That's certainly not true, in my experience. I've never turned a page accidentally, and it's extremely comfortable to hold - much smaller and lighter than the K3 which you have.

Quote:
I also love to highlight, add notes, and look up words in the books that I have on the kindle and I was wondering can you do this more faster and efficiently on the touch or on the keyboard?
Dictionary lookup and highlighting are faster on the Touch. Making notes is slower, because you're using the "soft" keyboard, rather than the physical keyboard on the K3.

Quote:
Should I stick with my kindle keyboard or move up to a touch screen?
I've not looked back since getting my Touch. Better in pretty much every way than the K3.

Quote:
Also, I have a kindle cover with the light attached to it for my kindle keyboard and I am wondering can this cover be used on the kindle touch or will I have to buy a separate cover for the touch?
No, it's a completely different size, and the Touch has a different system of connectors for the light.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:11 AM   #3
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Probably not. The difference, based on what you describe, just isn't that great. Some things will be better (lighter weight) and some will be worse (note-taking).

Enjoy your summer reading, whichever way you go.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:58 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Two downsides of the Touch are a) can't use 3rd party collection managers (e.g. Calibre) for collections, and b) no landscape mode. These probably don't matter for most people.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:06 PM   #5
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamXW View Post
I have a kindle keyboard which I have been using since September, but I am interested in getting a kindle touch.
Being a little cracked upside my head, perhaps, I am going to hit this in a totally different way.

With the international economy in distress, partly because of low consumption, I should be glad to hear that at least some people want to buy non-necessities. But as a constitutionally frugal person, the idea that you got a new computer-like device less than four months ago and already are looking to upgrade rubs me a bit of the wrong way. It surely takes longer than that to really discover all the features of your existing device.

Getting too personal, I would say that the first priority is to graduate university with as little in the way of loans as possible. However, if you have that covered, well, yes, I guess it may be good for the economy of the US, and China, for you to buy an extra Kindle, so go ahead.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 01-02-2012 at 09:09 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:37 PM   #6
tm3
Groupie
tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Two downsides of the Touch are a) can't use 3rd party collection managers (e.g. Calibre) for collections, and b) no landscape mode. These probably don't matter for most people.
drawback a) would be a big one for me.
tm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:28 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm3 View Post
drawback a) would be a big one for me.
The touch screen makes collection management on the Touch much quicker to do than it is on the K3, however, so that's a balancing factor. Personally I've always managed my collections on the Kindle and had no issues doing so.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:46 PM   #8
reprep
Addict
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: amazon kindle DXG
well personally i am waiting for the next e-ink technology which will most probably be color e-ink. Till then kindle keyboard and kindle DXG is enough for me.
reprep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:14 PM   #9
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
I'm not going to downgrade myself to no free worldwide 3G...
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:27 PM   #10
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Hmmmm, good to know. I would be quite disappointed to find these out after the fact. Thanks for mentioning.

What the heck is an x-ray feature????
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:56 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
What the heck is an x-ray feature????
See here.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:05 PM   #12
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Touch is great but the Kindle you currently have can do the same thing that the new Kindle can. They both have the same Pearl screen, they both allow you to look up words, highlight and add notes. So I guess the question that I think you should ask yourself is "do I need a new Kindle?"
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:20 PM   #13
mastermesh
mastermesh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I'm kinda in same boat. I love my kindle keyboard with 3g.. but it's slow and black and white. Don't get me wrong... I LOVE IT. It's month long battery makes it perfect to have when travelling or for light reading. It's speech to text is dull, but is nice to listen to at work too...

My wife and I tried an att smartphone about a month ago... she had an iphone and I had an atrix2. I freaking loved the atrix... but we had to take them back because we could not afford them as much as we thought we could... ATT WILL rip you off if you sign up and then take the phone back in the 30 days like we did. They are sending us huge bills but we are not paying them... what's the worse they can do, shut off the services to phones we already gave back?!?

In reading tons of reviews on kindle fire vs nook color and tablet, etc., it appears that you get more hardware that is better than amazon's with the nook HOWEVER, amazon claims their linking to the cloud helps counterbalance the fact that their gizmo is 512 mb ram vs the nooks 1gig ram... some reviews tell me otherwise...

Nook also looked interesting since it allowed side loading via the sd card... However, some stuff I've read lately indicates that they don't allow that with the latest update... and also read that Amazon's tablets block that sort of thing too (even though they don't have sd cards - people were side loading in other ways via google app store, usb cord, etc.)

Something I LOVED about my experience with the Atrix was that it had access to ALL THE APP STORES... I could load up amazon's app store, right next to b&n's right next to google appstore and some other third party ones that I found online that had free apps...

However, paying 500 bucks for an atrix without a contract would not be an option.. since the screen size is so tiny. I would mainly want apps for music/tv/finger painting since I'm a bit of an artist... so tablets are what I'm looking at... 7 inch ones since 10.1 inch ones like the transformer prime (the cadillac of tablets at them moment with it's 500.00 price) are just a tad big to be carrying around all over the place. I use a Nikon camera bag to hold gizmos and gadgets like mp3 player, camera, sound recorders, cell phones, and kindle, etc. No way that 10.1 inch tablet would fit in there unless I took most of the other stuff out since it would not fit in the pocket designed for gizmos and gadgets like the kindle, nook, etc.... I used to carry a laptop bag with me and that thing was too big and clunky to carry. Smaller camera bags are better for this sort of stuff.

All of that said, the Novo 7 looks interesting as do a few other really cheap devices that won't be locked in to one app store, and with CES being this weekend, THERE'S GOING TO BE TONS OF NEW GIZMOS AND GADGETS ON THE MARKET REAL SOON!... Best bet is to WAIT.... at least 1-3 months.

Lightsquared/Sprint/Sharp is talking about making tablets that will have FREE 4G ANYWHERE IN THE US in the next year or so, but they hit a roadbump since the gps companies have been infringing on the spectrum that Lightsquared bought about 6-8 years ago.... so there's interference with gps equipment, but it's because the gps is bleeding in to lightsquared's spectrum... I was going to wait for that free 4g before doing serious looking in to tablets, but read somewhere that it might be 11 years before that whole sprint network sees completion, so no need to hold off any more... if it comes it'll come, but it likely won't be this year like they originally were promising.

Last edited by mastermesh; 01-08-2012 at 12:25 PM.
mastermesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:19 PM   #14
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
mastermesh, this topic was about the black and white kindle touch, not the fire. but to reply to your topic, I'll tell you what I did...we don't have/can't afford smart phones either, but wanted the apps and tablet features, but I didn't want my amazon archives available to anyone who picked up my tablet. I got the Nook Color (refurb) + the 16gb n2a card for less than the cost of the Fire, I have the Amazon app store on it and the android app store, so all the apps I could ever want are available. I can stream netflix, youtube, use the web, etc. It's very nice!

(one more week to get the cast off my hand so I can type again...)

Last edited by booklover6; 01-08-2012 at 01:22 PM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:27 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermesh View Post
My wife and I tried an att smartphone about a month ago... she had an iphone and I had an atrix2. I freaking loved the atrix... but we had to take them back because we could not afford them as much as we thought we could... ATT WILL rip you off if you sign up and then take the phone back in the 30 days like we did. They are sending us huge bills but we are not paying them... what's the worse they can do, shut off the services to phones we already gave back?
I suspect you'll find that they can (and will) take you to court if you decline to pay your bill.

Tags
kindle keybord, kindle touch