Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-19-2010, 07:50 PM   #1
yakuzaboss
Groupie
yakuzaboss is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-650
So many ereaders...where do I start?

Hey everyone.

I'm quite new to the world of ereaders. Although I did own a Kobo for a short period of time. Actually I went through 4 of them before deciding it wasn't for me. So lately I've been doing as much research I can before I make another purchase. Some ereaders I'm considering are:

Astak ezReader or Pocket Pro
Bebook One
Cybook Opus
Pocketbook 301/302

A friend of mine has an unopened Sony PRS-505 which he'll let me have for $100. The only thing is, it red, not my favorite color.

Another option is the Benq K60 nReader. My cousin bought 3 of them in Taiwan. This one can be had for $200. While it's physically a very nice unit, I haven't had the chance to checkout how it performs.

Any suggestions from experienced ereaders would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited by yakuzaboss; 08-19-2010 at 10:51 PM.
yakuzaboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:52 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
The PRS-505 is an excellent reader, buy a cover for it
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2010, 08:56 PM   #3
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
y-boss, I have noticed that over the past many months, the two devices with the most enthusiastic users here at MobileRead have been the PocketBook 360 and the Ectaco jetBook Lite.

I am quite pleased with my jetBook Lite. When it was introduced in October, it was the least expensive eBook reader available in the US at $149.99. The lowest price I can find for it this weekend is $119.99 at Newegg. Two weeks ago Newegg had it on sale for $69.99.

It seems like now a number of devices are being let go to clear out the shelves in anticipation of new models coming out soon.
GA Russell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:16 PM   #4
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
The PRS-505 is an excellent reader, buy a cover for it
Definitely...and that's a great price for it! Maybe there's a skin you'd like better?
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:23 PM   #5
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
Send that red 505 over here. I'll give you 100 bucks
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2010, 10:40 PM   #6
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakuzaboss View Post
Any suggestions from experienced ereaders would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Since you asked nicely.

1- Decide up-front where you're going to get your DRM'ed ebooks (if any, from) from. That will simplify your choices a bit.

2- Decide how much portability matters to you. Do you want something that'll fit in your coat pocket or a briefcase?

3- Decide how much user typographic controls matter to you. Do you want to control the font face and size? Do you want to set margins, alignment, line-spacing?

4- Do you care about in-book dictionary support? Do you want *multiple* in- book dictionaries?

5- Do you care how the bookcase app manages your onboard ebooks? If you do, do you prefer a flatfile database (essentially a sortable list) or a folder-based system like a PC file system?

6- Does TTS matter to you?

7- Does a touchscreen buy you anything?

8- Does wireless connectivity buy you anything?

9- Take a look at the various models that interest you; how would you hold them in your hand? Do you think you could hold them that way, without strain, for half an hour?

10- How much does price matter to you?

If you draw up a prioritized list of what you want a reader device to be like and *then* look at a few reviews of models that interest you, you'll have a better idea of what life with one will be like. Shoudn't be hard to choose after that.

Just make sure you look at the hardware *last*; it's your reader--make sure it meets your needs, which means defining your needs first.

Go gettem!
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:23 AM   #7
yakuzaboss
Groupie
yakuzaboss is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-650
Great responses! As fjtorres suggested, I should decide what features are important and what are priorities.

I'll most likely be getting ebooks (i prefer epubs) from a variety of places like chaptersindigo.ca, baen.com, fictionwise.com, booksamillion.com, and the public library. Plus my girlfriend has a decent collection of epub book I can start with.

Portability is quite important. I would prefer a 6" reader but I'm not limited to it. If a 5" reader has all the features that i think are important then so be it.

Wifi, mp3, text to speech, dictionaries and touchscreen aren't features that I find very important to me.

Typography controls and library management would be useful but aren't at the top of my feature wants.

I've looked at all the readers I'm interested in and I'm sure that hilding them for extended periods of time wiuldnt be an issue. When I did have the Kobo, I've used it for 3 to 4 hours at a time daily for about two weeks.

Price really isn't an issue for me. I'm more than willing to pay for a quality product.
yakuzaboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 04:53 AM   #8
MangaEbooker
Connoisseur
MangaEbooker began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I just saw a silver 505 go for 350 on ebay, yeah people bided that high, get it, I would have, though red would have made the deal even sweeter!
MangaEbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:39 AM   #9
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
y-boss, I have noticed that over the past many months, the two devices with the most enthusiastic users here at MobileRead have been the PocketBook 360 and the Ectaco jetBook Lite.

I am quite pleased with my jetBook Lite. When it was introduced in October, it was the least expensive eBook reader available in the US at $149.99. The lowest price I can find for it this weekend is $119.99 at Newegg. Two weeks ago Newegg had it on sale for $69.99.

It seems like now a number of devices are being let go to clear out the shelves in anticipation of new models coming out soon.
I think you are being quite subjective when you say "the two devices with the most enthusiastic users here at MobileRead."

Owners of the nook, Kindle, and Kobo are just as enthusastic. It is all personal preference. That said, I agree that people seem quite satisfied with the PocketBook 360, but it is rather expensive given the competition.

I absolutely love my nook! How's that for enthusiasm!!!!!!!!!
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:40 AM   #10
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Price really isn't an issue for me. I'm more than willing to pay for a quality product.
Price may not be an issue but what you describe is a pretty minimal reader; a Sony PRS-300 sounds like a match. They are currently on fire sale at Sears online for US$99.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:51 AM   #11
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Hey everyone.

I'm quite new to the world of ereaders. Although I did own a Kobo for a short period of time. Actually I went through 4 of them before deciding it wasn't for me. So lately I've been doing as much research I can before I make another purchase. Some ereaders I'm considering are:

Astak ezReader or Pocket Pro
Bebook One
Cybook Opus
Pocketbook 301/302

A friend of mine has an unopened Sony PRS-505 which he'll let me have for $100. The only thing is, it red, not my favorite color.

Another option is the Benq K60 nReader. My cousin bought 3 of them in Taiwan. This one can be had for $200. While it's physically a very nice unit, I haven't had the chance to checkout how it performs.

Here is a question that might help us help you a bit more. What exactly was it that you didn't like about the Kobo?

Since you said you wanted to use Public Libraries, the Kindle is right out. You need something that supports Adobe Digital Editions.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:58 AM   #12
alroy
Enthusiast
alroy began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Opus/Pocket Pro/eSlick/Libre Pro
The best ebook reader is Bookeen Opus. It handles PDF books the best. I have 4 eReaders, the Sony Touch, the Astak Pocket Pro, Bookeen Opus, and the eSlick. Don't be fooled by eReaders offering reflow of PDF books. Reflow leaves your PDF books with 3/4 blank pages, lines with one word on them, hyphenation in the wrong spots. Reflow for the cure of PDF books is worst than the disease.
alroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:47 PM   #13
MangaEbooker
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Price may not be an issue but what you describe is a pretty minimal reader; a Sony PRS-300 sounds like a match. They are currently on fire sale at Sears online for US$99.
Yeah but at that point I think he would be better off with the 100 dollar 505...Idk...seems like a better deal then a 300.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:50 PM   #14
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MangaEbooker View Post
Yeah but at that point I think he would be better off with the 100 dollar 505...Idk...seems like a better deal then a 300.
Maybe, maybe not. The 505 is a great reader, but the fact that Sony has not sold it in over a year might mean that if Sony does ever get around to updating the firmware on the 300 and 600, that they might not be willing to do the same for the 505.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 03:14 PM   #15
MangaEbooker
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
Maybe, maybe not. The 505 is a great reader, but the fact that Sony has not sold it in over a year might mean that if Sony does ever get around to updating the firmware on the 300 and 600, that they might not be willing to do the same for the 505.

--
Bill
I see what you mean but most here seem pleased with the 505 which would mean that most likely all the problems in the firmware(Major at least) were taken care of when it was around more, maybe some one with one can pitch in here since I don't have one...