Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-28-2020, 02:02 PM   #346
ottischwenk
Guru
ottischwenk is less competitive than you.ottischwenk is less competitive than you.ottischwenk is less competitive than you.ottischwenk is less competitive than you.ottischwenk is less competitive than you.ottischwenk is less competitive than you.ottischwenk is less competitive than you.ottischwenk is less competitive than you.ottischwenk is less competitive than you.ottischwenk is less competitive than you.ottischwenk is less competitive than you.

Device: B Ares/Alita, OB Nova2/Poke2/Poke Pro, Tol Epos2/Shine3/Shine2/Page2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowe View Post
'Anyone else noticing poor screen performance in strong sunlight?....
and it's been a problem on the new Onyx Nova 2 which they've fixed via a software update.'
Has the update actually fixed it on your device?
It didn't work on my device.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 05-28-2020 at 02:05 PM.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 02:23 PM   #347
janbenes1
janbenes1 began at the beginning.

Device: HA2
Android 10 plus Google Apps on A5?

It should be possible to install Android 10 GSI AOSP that may include Google play store on the A5. Has anyone tried it?
janbenes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 02:55 AM   #348
rowe
Connoisseur
rowe is a glorious beacon of lightrowe is a glorious beacon of lightrowe is a glorious beacon of lightrowe is a glorious beacon of lightrowe is a glorious beacon of lightrowe is a glorious beacon of lightrowe is a glorious beacon of lightrowe is a glorious beacon of lightrowe is a glorious beacon of lightrowe is a glorious beacon of lightrowe is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Hisense A5, Boox Nova 2
'Ghosting usually happens to a certain degree, as is to be expected with e-ink, thus i wouldn't consider this 'poor screen performance' for what i am concerned. Usually, pressing the e-ink button once in a while quickly restores screen contents. Has never been intensive enough to ever bother me, though.'
In strong sunlight, the ghosting is much worse on my A5 than the (maybe 10) different e-ink devices I've had over the last 11 years. I suspect it's a problem with all/most e-ink screens but usually accommodated for in the software. Although it's strange that this issue was widely reported on some first generation e-ink devices, became a non-issue, but now it's back for the A5 and Onyx Nova 2. My e-ink button is used as a back button and light switch and I don't want to change that so in the sun I put the device in and out of sleep every few pages (seems the quickest way to clear the artefacts). Not a massive issue for me, but I don't live in a sunny country and only use the A5 as a reader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Has the update actually fixed it on your device?
It didn't work on my device.
I've never seen the problem on my Nova 2, but I very rarely take it outside. My Poke Pro and my son's Nova Pro are both fine in sunlight. On the Nova 2 can't this be fixed by changing the refresh settings? E.g. to regal/more regular total refresh? The A5 doesn't have this level of refresh control.
rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 08:05 AM   #349
Philju
Enthusiast
Philju has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPhilju has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPhilju has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPhilju has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPhilju has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPhilju has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPhilju has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPhilju has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPhilju has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPhilju has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPhilju has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: none
A5 Screen protector?

Dear A5-owners,

do you use a screen protector on your device? If yes, what kind do your recommend:
  • clear vs. matte
  • glass vs. plastic/PET or others

I'd be glad if you could specify the advantages/disadvantages of your preferred solution.

Thanks in advance.
Philju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 09:04 AM   #350
orebmur
Veteran Linux user
orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue Likebook Note and Mimas, Onyx Boox Note, Hisense A5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philju View Post
do you use a screen protector on your device? If yes, what kind do your recommend:
The A5 was delivered with a matte screen protection already applied.
orebmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 02:47 PM   #351
Villain
Villain began at the beginning.

Device: Hisense A5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philju View Post
Dear A5-owners,

• clear vs. matte
  • glass vs. plastic/PET or others

I'd be glad if you could specify the advantages/disadvantages of your preferred solution.

Thanks in advance.
The phone came with a matte protector but I took it off after a few days. I like the screen much more without it.
Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 04:36 PM   #352
milady133
Zealot
milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Anyone else noticing poor screen performance in strong sunlight?
I haven't taken mine out yet, but I suspect it's common with eink screens, more noticeable in some than in others. My second Nook Simple Touch was sluggish at low temperatures (near 0° C) and the screen lost contrast in the sun, with a strip at the bottom becoming completely blank. My first Nook Simple Touch worked better under extreme temperatures, so I don't think it depends only on the model, it's more a thing of the eink technology
milady133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 02:23 AM   #353
ottischwenk
Guru
ottischwenk is less competitive than you.ottischwenk is less competitive than you.ottischwenk is less competitive than you.ottischwenk is less competitive than you.ottischwenk is less competitive than you.ottischwenk is less competitive than you.ottischwenk is less competitive than you.ottischwenk is less competitive than you.ottischwenk is less competitive than you.ottischwenk is less competitive than you.ottischwenk is less competitive than you.

Device: B Ares/Alita, OB Nova2/Poke2/Poke Pro, Tol Epos2/Shine3/Shine2/Page2
Quote:
Originally Posted by milady133 View Post
I haven't taken mine out yet, but I suspect it's common with eink screens, more noticeable in some than in others. My second Nook Simple Touch was sluggish at low temperatures (near 0° C) and the screen lost contrast in the sun, with a strip at the bottom becoming completely blank. My first Nook Simple Touch worked better under extreme temperatures, so I don't think it depends only on the model, it's more a thing of the eink technology
No - there are only certain models in which this appearance occurs
I have devices with 6, 6.8, 7.8 Wacom, 8 and 10.3 inch Wacom screens and it only occurs with the 7.8 inch Wacom screens.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:35 PM   #354
rowe
Connoisseur
rowe is a glorious beacon of lightrowe is a glorious beacon of lightrowe is a glorious beacon of lightrowe is a glorious beacon of lightrowe is a glorious beacon of lightrowe is a glorious beacon of lightrowe is a glorious beacon of lightrowe is a glorious beacon of lightrowe is a glorious beacon of lightrowe is a glorious beacon of lightrowe is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Hisense A5, Boox Nova 2
The new update has brought the Hisense refresh software closer to Boox. The clear/smooth modes are joined by balanced/speed. Text rendering seems better now in clear mode. The weather hasn’t been good enough to test if there’s any difference in direct sunlight.

Last edited by rowe; 06-30-2020 at 02:06 AM.
rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:17 PM   #355
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura, KA1, Onyx Max
Quote:
The new update has brought the Hisense refresh software closer to Boox. The clear/smooth modes are joined by balanced/speed. Text rendering seems better now in clear mode. The weather hasn’t been good enough to test if there’s any difference in direct sunlight.
As much as I love my various Boox ereaders, I much prefer reading epubs in a foreign language on my A5. It's just a much smoother process than on my Boox ereaders, at least for Chinese and Japanese.

On Boox, it can often take a few attempts before I am able to select the characters I want to look up. On the A5 this has never been an issue (although I do seem to recall having had some issues on the A2 Pro).

Haven't noticed any problems in the sunlight yet. However, the A5 did not seem to like the cold Canadian winter the few times I took pictures with it.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 11:53 PM   #356
a1astair
a1astair began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi,

I purchased this phone and have the stock firmware loaded.

When I enable the WiFi hotspot, other devices can connect to it, but there is no internet connectivity.

I have had to install the PdaNet+ application to tether WiFi.

Does anyone else have similar issues?

Thanks,

Alastair
a1astair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 07:54 AM   #357
orebmur
Veteran Linux user
orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1astair View Post
Did you already update the firmware to the latest version via OTA?
Old 07-10-2020, 07:17 PM   #358
cartz
Zealot
cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.cartz 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1astair View Post
Hi,

When I enable the WiFi hotspot, other devices can connect to it, but there is no internet connectivity.

I have had to install the PdaNet+ application to tether WiFi.

Does anyone else have similar issues?

Thanks,

Alastair
I had this issue. To solve it I had to go into settings, mobile network, access point names, and then added an access point using details I found online specific to my carrier.
cartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 01:58 AM   #359
Villain
Villain began at the beginning.

Hi. I've installed the latest update recently and at the same time, I noticed the frontlight goes on autoamtically when you make or take a phone call. Has it come with the latest update and if yes, can the update be uninstalled? Or have I changed something in the settings. I've beed playing with the settings for 3 hours and it hasn't helped. This automatic frontlight thing makes the phone useless for me now.
Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 07:14 PM   #360
orebmur
Veteran Linux user

Those of you who bought the Hisense A5 from CECT-Shop with a multilingual firmware, are you satisfied with the extent of the localizations?

The reason i ask is because i bought a multilingual A5 from this source:

es.aliexpress.com/item/4000750679110.html

Turns out the only thing multilingual about that ROM is probably the listing of every conceiveable language in the related settings menu.

Whatever language other than English or Chinese is chosen, there is hardly any trace to be found in the actual system. I tried with Spanish, Catalan, French and even German, to no avail. One has to look really hard to find just a few neglectable translations in the system.

Is this also the case for the A5 with firmware choice "Multi Language (ENG/ESP/ITA etc.) - WITH Google Play Store (No OTA Updates)" available from CECT-Shop?

Last edited by orebmur; 07-22-2020 at 10:10 AM. Reason: make question more precise