Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-08-2020, 01:04 AM   #1
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Ugh... Clara has no Dropbox :(

While waiting for my Clara to arrive (UPS is so slow! I've gotten so used to 2 day delivery!) I decided to prepare to take advantage of the Dropbox feature that I'd read about.

I wrote a nice bash script, run as a chron job, that would use Calibre's ebook-convert and recipes to download news once per day, and then kepubify to convert them for the Kobo, then copy the resulting files to a folder in Dropbox, cleaning up files more than 7 days old. The script even had sections to only download some feeds once per week. (I know that Calibre has the ability to auto-sync news, auto clean-up, and auto-copy to device, but I wanted to use Dropbox, and I didn't want my library "cluttered with news, and I don't like the extra folders/files that Calibre creates [or at least, didn't like them on my Kindle] -- I like a bit more manual control).

The script was tested, working great, I've got news in kepub format, ready to read on my Kobo once it arrives... and then I noticed that the feature is only supported for the Forma!

Now I'm wondering whether I want to root the device to install KoboCloud, or just do without my fancy new script. Oh well. :-/

I've looked through the source for KoboCloud, and it looks safe enough, but I'm curious what the potential risks (beyond the obvious warranty concerns) are with rooting (e.g. security -- I assume the OS is now open). Is Kobo as hostile to rooting as Amazon? Will I lose root? I decided on my Paperwhite to stop playing those games years ago and just stuck with untampered firmwares and my PW1 finally settled on a non-rootable version, so I can't change my mind about that anyhow.

BTW, as a general statement, how hard is Kobo development vs Kindle development? It looks fairly straightforward after browsing the source for that and KOReader.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 03:27 AM   #2
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
FYI even with forma, dropbox is not great. dropbox does not understand that .kepub is a book format...- check other threads by searching for forma dropbox
it works with epub but its hardly worth the faffing about to put them into dropbox in the first place
also it works only via a special shared ratuken folder that it creates in dropbox. frustratingly, that seems to be an exclusive share, so if you have 2 dropbox accounts you cannot share that ratuken folder across them, and probably you cannot share links into it to other people either

what may work better, and with clara is to grab the news via a pocket browser extension, as pocket is on all recent kobos. You have to create a pocket account and sync it, and it has to be an email+password combo. Using login ( to pocket) with google is not supported on the readers

Last edited by stumped; 05-08-2020 at 03:31 AM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote