Notices

Old 02-17-2009, 04:19 PM   #1
LauraLynn
Enthusiast
LauraLynn is on a distinguished road

Device: iPod Touch, Dell Axim X30 & EB1150
Which ebook format to buy?

Hi,

I just discovered ebooks and am currently reading them on my laptop. I am THRILLED!!!

I will be purchasing a reader in the future, not the immediate future, but hopefully sometime this year. I'm fairly certain it will be a Sony 505.

I still want to buy books that I can read now on my laptop - but thought it would be prudent to purchase the versions that I can easily transfer to the Sony 505 when I get it. Which format would you recommend I purchase?

Thanks so much! I've learned tons from this forum. Right now my head is spinning...
LauraLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:21 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Hello, Lauralynn, and welcome to MobileRead.

Here is the link to our "wiki' which has all the info on your Sony as well as a link to download the manual....I'm sure someone else with jump in with the required info, but this is good reading......Enjoy!

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRS505
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2009, 04:31 PM   #3
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Buy ebooks in LIT format. You can easily remove the DRM with ConvertLIT and convert it to LRF (the native Sony Reader format) with Calibre.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:33 PM   #4
LauraLynn
Enthusiast

Thank you!

Looks like it may be easier (ie: less steps) to purchase a Kindle when I am ready for a reader and purchase a limited number of books to read on my laptop? (and not worry about moving them over?)
Old 02-17-2009, 04:36 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraLynn View Post
Thank you!

Looks like it may be easier (ie: less steps) to purchase a Kindle when I am ready for a reader and purchase a limited number of books to read on my laptop? (and not worry about moving them over?)
If you buy LIT or Mobipocket format you will be able to move them to your kindle. BUt, you will have to do a bit of DRM stripping which is not that hard.

However, if you have read the books... why the need to move them. Just buy one at a time so you won't have unread books once you get your Kindle. Because once you read on your Kindle, you won't want to read on the PC any more.

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 02-17-2009 at 04:43 PM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2009, 04:39 PM   #6
LauraLynn
Enthusiast

Thank you Valloric! LIT... that's the Microsoft Reader? I'm currently using ADE and Mobi.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:42 PM   #7
LauraLynn
Enthusiast

LOL! Thanks, you guys are quick! I've been responding at the same time as some of you have been too.

I think that I'll be slow in purchasing my ebooks - but purchase them in LIT, and then make the final decision when I have the $ to buy my reader.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:44 PM   #8
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Thank you!

If you use Calibre (free), once you have converted the books you can read them in Calibre on your laptop until you get the reader.

If you get epubs (Adobe's drm'd format) you can read them in Adobe Digital Additions on your laptop until you get a Sony.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:46 PM   #9
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Thank you Valloric! LIT... that's the Microsoft Reader? I'm currently using ADE and Mobi.
LIT is Microsoft Reader, correct.

Quote:
The process to strip the DRM off LIT files and convert them to LRF with Calibre is doable in under 10 seconds.

Last edited by Valloric; 02-17-2009 at 04:49 PM. Reason: forgot quote
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:49 PM   #10
LauraLynn
Enthusiast

Thank you!!
Old 04-02-2010, 12:47 AM   #11
BooksForABuck
Zealot
BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: Color Nook, Kindle 2, Palm III, eBookWise, HP Jornada
I'd suggest using ePub if you're leaning toward the Sony. If you've decided on the Kindle, why not buy Kindle format and use Kindle for the PC now on your laptop.

Rob Preece
Publisher, www.BooksForABuck.com
BooksForABuck is offline   Reply With Quote