Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-17-2010, 08:05 PM   #1
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
Sending ereader to Korea

I hope this isn't a dumb question but I just bought a Sony ereader (I know this is a Kobo area but I have had lots of help here about my Kobo).

It is coming from the US (I am in Canada) and I am going to load my Kobo books on it and send it to my daughter in Korea.

I have a PC and she has a MAC. Does that matter?

I have heard that the Sony software is shite. I have had great success loading my kobo books from the kobo desktop app but obviously can't use that.

Should I download the sony software or transfer my epubs to Calibre and then load the sony?

Does calibre accept both kobo and sony readers or do I need separate accounts?

Once I send it off will my daughter be able to buy books from Korea (I have not been able to buy books from US sites so I worry about that and wonder if I should load all her favourites from here?

Thanks in advance for your patience.

Last edited by wrenn1; 06-18-2010 at 10:09 AM.
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:14 PM   #2
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Was it something I said?
Advert
Old 06-18-2010, 06:03 PM   #3
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Oh, no, wrenn1, I'm so sorry you haven't had a response.

What a very nice thing to do for your daughter. I don't have any experience with what you are trying to do, but hopefully, a more experienced member will see this and jump in with some ideas.

Good Luck.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 06:09 PM   #4
wrenn1
Addict

Thanks Dreams for taking the time to post. :-)
Old 06-19-2010, 04:40 AM   #5
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I'm just checking in, wrenn1. I really wish I could help but..

I have a Sony and not a KOBO.
I have a PC and not a Mac.
I use ADE and Sony Library, but not calibre yet.
I'm in the USA so haven't experience with purchasing outside the USA.

I do know that ADE and Sony Library have to have the same user name and password to be able to work. I have my mother's Sony registered to my ADE, Sony Library, and my computer in order to purchase and keep her Sony loaded with books.

Hopefully, someone with both a Sony and Kobo will be able to help.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2010, 07:29 AM   #6
artificial
Groupie
artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo eReader
Hi wrenn1, I don't think I can adequately answer all your questions, but I'll do my best to answer the ones I can... (Note, I don't own a Sony eReader, just a Kobo).

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenn1 View Post
I have a PC and she has a MAC. Does that matter?
I don't think it will make any difference. I assume your daughter would use either Calibre, the Sony software, or Adobe Digital Editions to transfer books to her Sony eReader. I can't speak for the Sony software, but the other two have Mac versions.

Quote:
Should I download the sony software or transfer my epubs to Calibre and then load the sony?
Are your books protected by Adobe DRM? If they are I think you'll need to authorise the Sony with Adobe Digital Editions as well. (I'm a bit hazy on the whole DRM thing, but I think that's the way it works). You can use Calibre to transfer the books to the Sony, but the Sony will need to be authorised with ADE or you won't be able to open/read the books on the Sony.

As Dreams has already mentioned, if you authorise the Sony eReader using your ADE account it might make things tricky if your daughter buys some books herself, since the device is linked to your Adobe ID.

If the books are not DRM protected then you should just be able to dive straight in with Calibre, you probably don't need to use the Sony software.

Quote:
Does calibre accept both kobo and sony readers or do I need separate accounts.
I don't think Calibre has any concept of 'accounts' and I'm almost certain you can manage multiple devices with Calibre.

Someone who owns both devices, or with better knowledge of ADE and DRM than me might be able to answer your questions more adequately!

Last edited by artificial; 06-19-2010 at 07:58 AM.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:29 PM   #7
wrenn1
Addict

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. I know I asked a lot of questions. Sorry. I think I might try loading on to an SD card and then transfer the books to her. I will leave the ADE and Calibre alone and she can look into those once she has the reader.

I just thought it would be nice to give her the (now 25) books that I have bought from Kobo to get her started. Once she is back from Korea we can both work off my computer.

I guess travellers can load things from computers not their own so it should work.

Thanks again for the help. I really appreciate it.