Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-27-2009, 10:44 AM   #1
nnxbtz
nnxbtz began at the beginning.

Device: PC
Reference Database in Calibre?

Hello,
I have just downloaded and used calibre, as the many other ebook management softwares I have used in the past had not what I wanted.
So far I am quite happy with it, except one thing:
It seems that the software creates copies of my ebooks and stores them in the path I specified for the library.
I would like to know how to stop it from doing so.
The software I used before (allmybooks 1.7) created a Database with the reference to the actual file, i.e.: path, Cover, ISBN, Summary, Price and so on were stored in the Database, the actual PDF (or other formats) was left untouched. (I ditched it because it used a bubble-sort algorithm after every new entry, and after a few thousands entries in the database it would take several seconds to add only one new entry)

Since I have quite a big library on my harddisk (>40000 books, ~400GB total) it is not possible for me to continue to use the software if I dont find a way to switch off this "feature".

I would be happy if someone could tell me how. I searched a little in this forum, but found nothing.
nnxbtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:46 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Can't be done, AFAIK.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2009, 10:46 AM   #3
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
currently there is no way to change it
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:10 AM   #4
nnxbtz
nnxbtz began at the beginning.

Device: PC
hmm, well that sucks.

Is there maybe a way to get calibre to delete the original file afterwards?
nnxbtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:15 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Calibre just stores the files unchanged in its directory tree, so I suppose you could manually delete them after you've added them. Use a command like "del /s *.epub" in the root of the Calibre library folder, and the same for the other formats.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2009, 06:16 PM   #6
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnxbtz View Post
hmm, well that sucks.

Is there maybe a way to get calibre to delete the original file afterwards?
I suppose that if you originally have all your books in one directory and add them to Clibre in its own directory you can then delete your original directory.
I would, however, take some time to make sure that all your books made it to the new Calibre directory. You know, sometimes things happen and you dont want to get rid of your books until you know for sure that they copied over
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, database, file duplication, library