Notices

Old 09-04-2008, 11:42 AM   #1
C6REW
Connoisseur
C6REW has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis 1
Converting PDF to LRF

Hi All,

I am really sorry because I think the answer is here somewhere but struggling to find it.

I have been using calibre and trying to convert some of my photography magazines which are in pdf for the Sony and seem to loose a lot of the formatting. Basically a lot of text with sometimes single words to a line and a pic dotted around.

Am I asking too much or is there a way of doing.

Many thanks for your assistance.

Regards

Chris
C6REW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 12:11 PM   #2
ashkulz
Addict
ashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1/REB 1200
Try pdflrf or PDFRead [disclaimer: I wrote PDFRead].
ashkulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2008, 04:06 PM   #3
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
YOu should try BookDesigner.
Calibre is very bad with formatting, Bookdesigner is much better.

As for pictures, you may lose them though...

BTW, does anybody know how to convert a PDF to LRF (or some other format) without page numbers, headers, and footers? It is very annoying to have these from the PDF all over the LRF file. I tried to look at all the options in BookDesigner, but no luck.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 06:12 PM   #4
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackVoid View Post
YOu should try BookDesigner.
Calibre is very bad with formatting, Bookdesigner is much better.

As for pictures, you may lose them though...

BTW, does anybody know how to convert a PDF to LRF (or some other format) without page numbers, headers, and footers? It is very annoying to have these from the PDF all over the LRF file. I tried to look at all the options in BookDesigner, but no luck.

Yes, but if you lose the pictures then, with Book Designer, it's easy to go back to the source pdf, save them as jpegs and reinsert them into the text.

Book Designer does not contain any automatic method of stripping page numbers, headers or footers. You can use Regular Expressions to remove the page numbers. But if you are removing the headers and footers manually then the page numbers can be deleted at the same time.

There is a program called pdf cropper, but I haven't tried it.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 06:27 PM   #5
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkulz View Post
Try pdflrf or PDFRead [disclaimer: I wrote PDFRead].
These are the best way. They are also the fastest and require the least effort.

BookDesigner and Calibre will both require you to reformat the book along lines that work well with the reader but do not retain the original format of the magazine (as reflected in the PDF.) Both of these products were designed for text where graphics play a supporting (minor, very minor) role. Photography magazines are the reverse.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2008, 02:37 AM   #6
megacoupe
Connoisseur
megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Or you could do a Google search for "pdflrfwin," which is probably the best program out there for this.
megacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 06:18 PM   #7
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by megacoupe View Post
Or you could do a Google search for "pdflrfwin," which is probably the best program out there for this.
Dunno about that. pdflrfwin does some funky stuff to certain text and fonts, and the output doesn't look that great to me. (And yes, I tried tweaking just about everything.)
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote