Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 10-14-2011, 01:55 PM   #1
TdeV
Dabbler
TdeV began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Reject:Lenovo 8.1 tablet Old: Colour Nook, HP Touchpad
Sigil and Smashwords, Amazon

First, let me just say that I hate MS Word and do mostly anything so I don't have to use it.

It looks to me like Smashwords starts with a MS Word document and there are no other choices. I haven't got as far as Amazon yet, but they may be equally deranged.

Is there any way to post a file on Smashwords or Amazon which was created by way of Calibre and Sigil, in other words, which starts off as an epub?

Thanks.
TdeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:05 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
No, at least not for Smashword. Unfortunatly, because the process Smashword uses to create ePUB's from Word, called meatgrinder, is a very low quality tool. It generates a lot of errors without a possible solution.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2011, 12:34 PM   #3
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Amazon will accept mobi files directly. At one time there was a rumor that they were considering accepting epubs as well (which presumably would be converted by Amazon to mobi) but I haven't heard much about that lately.

If you have an epub, you can easily convert it to mobi for Amazon, using either Amazon's kindlegen program or Calibre.
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:36 PM   #4
TdeV
Dabbler
TdeV began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Reject:Lenovo 8.1 tablet Old: Colour Nook, HP Touchpad
Amazon and Smashwords

Well, thanks. 50% is better than I expected.
TdeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:28 PM   #5
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
For amazon, it's best to use Kindlegen over Calibre. A little harder to use, but better results
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2011, 03:06 PM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by st_albert View Post
Amazon will accept mobi files directly. At one time there was a rumor that they were considering accepting epubs as well (which presumably would be converted by Amazon to mobi) but I haven't heard much about that lately.

If you have an epub, you can easily convert it to mobi for Amazon, using either Amazon's kindlegen program or Calibre.
You can already upload an epub to KDP--I have clients that do it, accidentally, all the time, and they convert w/o a problem. Of course, when my clients do it, they don't get the linked Guide items that they need for mobi utilization on the 5-way, because they're using an epub that I sent them, designed for epub readers, not Kindle. I drop epubs on KG all the time for conversion.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, smashwords