Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-04-2011, 01:47 PM   #1
crono38
crono38 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Possibly
Why are there no reviews for Sony PRS T1?

Also I read that the T1 can't download Barnes and Nobles Book is that true? If so I might consider getting a Kindle Fire or something.
crono38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:57 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by crono38 View Post
Also I read that the T1 can't download Barnes and Nobles Book is that true? If so I might consider getting a Kindle Fire or something.
You won't be able to read Barnes and Noble books on a stock Kindle Fire either. The NOOK Android app isn't even available in the Amazon Android app store.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2011, 02:30 PM   #3
crono38
crono38 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Possibly
I see.. And before I get flamed for my topic title, I meant why aren't many people here talking about the PRS-T1. I mean it's available at BestBuy and Target already.
crono38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 02:50 PM   #4
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
I see.. And before I get flamed for my topic title, I meant why aren't many people here talking about the PRS-T1. I mean it's available at BestBuy and Target already.
It seems that it isn't available at every store (yet) and all the people here that have already preordered it probably aren't going to just go out and buy another one just to get it a few days earlier.
Patience you must have young Padawan
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:26 PM   #5
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
I've been mostly posting my comments in existing threads.

And not being able to download from B&N isn't entirely the device's fault. If I download via B&N's website, I get a *.pdb file (Palm eReader), with appropriate Palm eReader DRM. Only if I download via Nook software do you get ePubs.

That right there might be partly why B&N DRM has gotten shunned on other devices. You can't readily download a B&N ePub without jumping through hoops, which makes it a painful experience even if you could do it. People like me are more likely to just buy from one of the many other retailers that all have roughly the same price and just not give B&N my money.

Hell, when I owned I Nook, I mostly just downloaded samples, and bought from other places where I still had gift cards, sales, and so on.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2011, 05:14 PM   #6
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:

Mobiletech review just did a half hour video review and the ebook reader just did a 12 minute review. They are on youtube.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:21 PM   #7
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Here is a thread (in the Sony forum) started by log about the review by Nate and one by MobileTechReview.

video review: Sony Reader WiFi (PRS-T1)
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:38 PM   #8
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
And not being able to download from B&N isn't entirely the device's fault. If I download via B&N's website, I get a *.pdb file (Palm eReader), with appropriate Palm eReader DRM. Only if I download via Nook software do you get ePubs.
I've downloaded 78 books from B&N for my Sony Reader (I don't own a Nook) and every one has downloaded as ePub. I do not understand why you are getting *.pdb files.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:49 PM   #9
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm, something definitely changed in the last handful of months. I just tried from a work machine and got an ePub for a book that I got a PDB for fairly recently. Very weird. Their download mechanism is fairly opaque, so I couldn't really answer your question.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:55 PM   #10
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
Up until a few weeks ago, the B&N server was downloading pdb files for Mac/Safari users. The last few freebies that I got, I didn't have to change the User Agent in order to get epubs - yay!!
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:09 PM   #11
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>

Aha, that explains a lot. I'll have to play more. Android uses WebKit, so I wonder if that may still be at play with this, or if the change was entirely on the website end. Messy.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:12 PM   #12
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I've downloaded 78 books from B&N for my Sony Reader (I don't own a Nook) and every one has downloaded as ePub. I do not understand why you are getting *.pdb files.
I think that Kolenka is a Mac user. PC users have not had this issue. The B&N for Mac software does not work for Mac users with older OS X (like 10.5 for me). The only way to get books was via download through the B&N website. Because of known issues B&N forced these downloads to be PDB. There is a workaround to enable the Developer's Menu in Safari and then change the user agent to IE8. In other words, B&N now thinks you are on a PC and will let you download EPUBs. That's great news if they've fixed whatever their issues were and let Mac users download EPUBs now!

Last edited by Bookworm_Girl; 10-04-2011 at 07:15 PM.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:24 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
I've been mostly posting my comments in existing threads.

The ePub I have been downloading from B&N have been with Firefox. I have not been getting eReader format. I've been getting ePub. I don't know how you've been getting eReader when I've been getting ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:29 PM   #14
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The ePub I have been downloading from B&N have been with Firefox. I have not been getting eReader format. I've been getting ePub. I don't know how you've been getting eReader when I've been getting ePub.
See the two very well written posts above answering your question.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:05 PM   #15
Jane12
Groupie
Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iDevices
Looks like everyone gets ePUB only from BN going forward

BN was updating their web site last night (couldn't access my Nook library for several hours, kept getting a "come back later" page). Not sure if this is a gradual roll-out or if it's hitting everyone at once, but my Nook library now has a whole new look and everything is downloading to my Mac as ePUB. I know PC users have been getting ePUB all along, but as noted by others above, when you're on a Mac you had to change the User Agent to a PC browser to get ePUB, otherwise you got PDB.

Also, per another thread, BN is phasing out support for their Blackberry eReader app, which requires PDBs. Apparently, you won't be able to purchase new Nookbooks for the Blackberry app as of October 5 (which coincides with the web update last night), and access to previously purchased PDBs will be limited -- https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=1771130

So it looks like everyone's going to be getting ePUB going forward, and if you don't want PDBs, you don't have to worry about it anymore.

I'm curious -- what happens when you try to download from BN to a T1? Do you get anything, and will it open?

Last edited by Jane12; 10-06-2011 at 02:16 AM. Reason: clarity
Jane12 is offline   Reply With Quote