Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 10-26-2013, 10:44 PM   #1
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
PB 623 - New user questions

I've been scanning these forums for help as I learn to use this new reader, but there aren't a lot of ones specific to the 623. I'm hoping some of our regulars can help:
  1. I've seen a number of references to fbReader as being standard on Pocketbook. I can't find anything in mine that lets me switch. Is there a hidden way to switch, or does anyone know if it's not included on this one?
  2. The user guide says any TTF copied into the system fonts folder can be used by the reader, but it doesn't show in my list of font opens when I try to switch fonts. Are you aware of any tricks or tips for this? ETA: I figured this one out!
  3. The user guide says Dropbox should show up under my Accounts and Synchronization menu...no luck. Does anyone know if this was taken out of their firmware or is there another setting that needs to be turned on before I see the Dropbox option? ETA: Figured this out, too.

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but these are the ones I've pretty much given up on finding myself.

Thanks!

ETA: I checked again - the first thing I did when I got the 623 was to head to the website for the last firmware update...but apparently while I downloaded it, I didn't install it. Installing it answered question #2.

Last edited by FizzyWater; 10-27-2013 at 03:12 AM.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:49 PM   #2
FizzyWater
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oops, forgot one:

The guide mentions a way to turn on/off hyphenation. I can't find that on any of the Settings menus. Does anyone here know the trick?
Advert
Old 10-27-2013, 03:15 AM   #3
FizzyWater

Another question: Do you use Calibre to convert your ebooks? If so, what hardware profile do you use? It only lists Pocketbook 902 and 912, neither one fit the 623.

Oddly, the two descriptions that seem to match the screen resolution are the "iPad" and the "IRex Digital Reader 800", but I didn't know if there were other settings in either of those that would make the books troublesome on the 623. Right now, I'm using the Sony (650) profile.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:25 AM   #4
SIRSteiner
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I've seen a number of references to fbReader as being standard on Pocketbook. I can't find anything in mine that lets me switch. Is there a hidden way to switch, or does anyone know if it's not included on this one?
You need a custom extension.cfg file. Please seach the forum you will find many threads.

Regards
Ronny
Old 10-27-2013, 03:41 AM   #5
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRSteiner View Post
You need a custom extension.cfg file. Please seach the forum you will find many threads.
Yes, AdobeViewer is the default epub reader out of the box. If you tap on the epub in the list, you'll just get the default. However, if you do a long press on the epub menu item, you should see a pop-up menu that includes "Open with...". If you select that item, then you can choose to either use the AdobeViewer or fbreader applications to read the epub. If you want to make fbreader the default application for reading epubs when you tap on a book, then, as Ronny says, you have to create your own /system/config/extensions.cfg file and make fbreader.app the first in the list of applications for reading that format. I think the line in the file should look something like:

epub:@EPUB_file:1:fbreader.app,AdobeViewer.app:ICO N_EPUB

The ereader has a Linux OS on it, and it usually can't understand text files that use the MS line endings, so use an editor like Notepad++ to create the file if you use Windows, and configure it to use Unix-style line endings (i.e. only LF rather than CR-LF).
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2013, 05:33 AM   #6
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
For question 1: See the sticky Making FBReader and pdfviewer default viewers above :-)

I'm also a pretty new PB 623 user, and I've found lots of useful tips in those sticky threads. It can be a bit hard to figure out which ones apply to which versions of readers, though...
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote