Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-17-2013, 04:31 PM   #17941
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
In this case Consider Phlebas by Iain M. Banks. I haven't read anything by him before, so I am looking forward to this.
I've read this one. You can stop looking forward to it. It was different in that it started off good and then went downhill.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:45 PM   #17942
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I've completely given up on Patterson. Quantity has definitely won the day over quality, and his output now is risible drivel (I'm thinking of registering that two-word epithet ).
I have not read anything from Patterson recently. The last book of his I've read was The 12th of Never. I still like the WMC books. I'm hoping for more.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:51 PM   #17943
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I still like the WMC books. I'm hoping for more.
I've got a hold on the 10th one at both my e-libraries.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:41 PM   #17944
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Wow. I loved that book! The wonder and mystery was portrayed very well. It doesn't feel dated either; given the age and the advances in tech that we have had since it was written it seems like most science fiction starts to feel long in the tooth but this one holds up well.
I did find Rendezvous with Rama to be dated, dry, and lacking in anything actually happening that made me want to find out what happens next.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:44 PM   #17945
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
I am currently reading The Best of Connie Willis, an anthology that includes many of her Hugo and Nebula award short stories and novellas. Excellent stuff so far ("A Letter from the Clearys", "Fire Watch").
I would suggest not reading that and reading Fire Watch because that is the proper first book in the Oxford Time Travel series. Some of the shorts in there will also be in the Best collection. But with Fire Watch you do get to read them in order. I cannot speak of Best.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:51 PM   #17946
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
That's the exact same price I paid at Kobo after using a 50% discount coupon. (Had to make a brief US 'visit' though)
How were you able to use a discount code with S&S eBooks from Kobo? I am in the US and I cannot see a place to put in a discount code.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:07 PM   #17947
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I am reading Paragon (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith #3) by John Jackson Miller.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:34 PM   #17948
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I think of Fire Watch as more of a pilot episode. I don't believe it is quite canon.
I believe it is. I'm going to try the first story starting today and see what I think.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:12 AM   #17949
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
So now, I'm freed up to start The Secret River for the literary book club. I bought this a while ago and had planned to read it, so I was delighted when it was chosen as this month's book club read. It gives me all the excuse I need to move it up the TBR list. I'm looking forward to reading it.
Just finished this book and found it a fascinating look at an era in early Australian settlement. It focused on one of the many scenes of violence that played out between early settlers and the indigenous people. There was a perspective and context to this that I appreciated, told through the eyes of ex-convict William Thornhill.

I found the story sufficiently resolved that I'm not sure I have an urgent desire to continue with the trilogy though.

Next up is a novella written - I believe - as a pilot of sorts for an upcoming post-apocalyptic trilogy by indie author Glen Krisch. I believe he managed to secure a publishing deal for the trilogy, so I'm expecting this to be a good read.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:06 AM   #17950
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How were you able to use a discount code with S&S eBooks from Kobo? I am in the US and I cannot see a place to put in a discount code.
I think that was before they started to suddenly disallow coupons again on agency publishers in the US
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:24 AM   #17951
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Not sure.
I'm reading Vika's Avenger by Lawrence Watt-Evans. I was uncertain of it in the first couple of chapters, but it's picked up since, and I almost missed my train station this morning, so it's certainly keeping my attention now.

He's self-published this version through a Kick-starter project.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:18 AM   #17952
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
I'm currently making my way through The Exodus Towers by Jason Hough - the second book in his Dire Earth Cycle.

Rather enjoying it, much like I did the first book, somewhat to my surprise; it's really not necessarily the best literature out there but I occasionally seem to be just in the right mood for some rough and dirty aliens & zombies & lots of shooting action/adventure/mystery/scifi stuff.

I still have half of that left, but I'm already thinking that I might actually give the brand new Booker prize winner The Luminaries a go.

I've never consciously read a prize-winner before (i.e. read a book just because it's won some prize or another), and I'm not one for literary fiction these days so I usually stay well away from prize-winning books anyway, but this one came to my attention just before the winner was announced and I thought it sounded rather interesting, so I picked it up at Kobo with a coupon. Looks like a lot of book to read, so we shall see...
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:46 PM   #17953
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Crown of Slaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Ah, this is so much better than War of Honor. The action moves along, we don't get tedious digressions into the maudlings of Peep bureaucrats, it's funnier by far, and just better written overall. Clearly the hand of Eric Flint here. About 1/2 way through, but thoroughly enjoying.
Finished Crown of Slaves, the first full novel of the Genetic Slavery splinter from the overall Honor Harrington series. WAY better than War of Honor, which is the mainline story at the same point of time. CoS shows what a difference it makes when the writing is tight and focused. The influence of Eric Flint is obvious here. Definitely a 5 out of 5.

Next up, a quick pass through Balance of Trade, by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller. This is an early book in the Liaden Universe and I want to catch up on what's gone before for our intrepid Jethri Gobelyn as I get ready to read Trade Secret. I'm actually hoping to hold off the reading of Trade Secret until the Audible book, read by Kevin T. Collins, is out on November 6th.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:16 PM   #17954
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Finished Crown of Slaves, the first full novel of the Genetic Slavery splinter from the overall Honor Harrington series. WAY better than War of Honor, which is the mainline story at the same point of time. CoS shows what a difference it makes when the writing is tight and focused. The influence of Eric Flint is obvious here. Definitely a 5 out of 5.

Next up, a quick pass through Balance of Trade, by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller. This is an early book in the Liaden Universe and I want to catch up on what's gone before for our intrepid Jethri Gobelyn as I get ready to read Trade Secret. I'm actually hoping to hold off the reading of Trade Secret until the Audible book, read by Kevin T. Collins, is out on November 6th.
And, while I'm at it, I'm going to read First Frost, an Inspector Jack Frost book written by James Henry with official sanction by the R. D. Wingfield estate.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:30 PM   #17955
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Just finished October Skies by Alex Scarrow. It's a strange book. Very slow paced and I didn't really care much for the characters; yet I wanted to know how it all turned out. Plot is a bit iffy, especially the bits set in modern times, and it doesn't reflect kindly on the Mormon (or any) religion at all.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote