Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-06-2013, 03:29 PM   #1
spinningdoc
spinningdoc began at the beginning.

Device: Non
Upgrading my PRS505 and my epubs

I've been pretty happy with my PRS505 but the battery's palpably going, and it'll only charge via USB now, rather than wall charger, which I find a giant pain. So I'm starting to think what to get next.

Here's the factors I'm bearing in mind:

- must be cart my large epub collection with me - I'm quite happy to do a one off mass conversion via Calibre to achieve this though
- pretty certain an SD card/miniSD card is going to be necessary
- putting those two together, sideloading is a must (I think...)
- not too bothered about bells and whistles. I just want to use it to read words, pretty much. Doing the other stuff on my smartphone or laptop is fine.
- I don't *think* a lit screen is that important. I prefer ambient lighting.
- battery life is important, and the ability to use a wall charger
- so is cost
- I like Sony (partly because my PRS505 has done all that stuff) but if I can read my epubs on a Kindle, and continue to load it up with epubs, I'm fine with that too.
- I'm in the UK, so I guess that rules out Nooks.

So with a bit of combing through this forum and reading some reviews, I think it's looking like a refurb/secondhand T1 or T2, or a basic Kindle, or just maybe a PW.

So what are the pros and cons? Am I missing anything?

The one thing I haven't found out is how to sideload Kindles, if it's is possible, because if I can't do that, the Kindle's out, however nice it might be otherwise.

All thoughts gratefully received.
spinningdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:16 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
FWIW, Nook's are sold in the UK although I don't know how many places sell them. There is also Kobo as another, more available, ePub reader option. Rumor has it that Sony will have a new model coming out in the coming months (along with the other major vendors), no one knows for sure but something to be aware of.

Kindle sideloading can be done through Calibre or by copying files to the devices Documents folder. Of course you'll need to convert your stuff to KF8 (azw3) or Mobi format to read it.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2013, 10:50 PM   #3
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Argos had a load of the Nook STR in their warehouse for 30 pounds, plus 10 or so for the case. It was delivery only. Reads epub very well. The buttons suck compared to the Sony buttons, but I just use the touch screen. Works fine. Recommended. I don't recommend the lighted version for 70 pounds.

If you want to spend more and get a lighted screen, wait till autumn. A lot of new models are likely to be coming out (Nook, Sony, Kobo). I'd get a cheap Nook or a Sony.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:37 AM   #4
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
If you have ePub, and what's more, lots of them, spare yourself the hassle of converting.

PRS-T2 I would say, else kobo or bookeen.

And yeah, announcement for new readers are expected soon, so, might be worth to wait a bit to see what's next.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:51 AM   #5
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
PRS-T2 I would say, else kobo or bookeen
Kobo glo is very sluggish once you get over about 2,000 books!
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2013, 07:46 AM   #6
mediax
Readaholic
mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2 (previously 505 and 650)
Having followed the 505 -> 650 -> T2 path, I think you'd be delighted with a T2. I certainly am - the improvements in contrast, page turn (and general) speed, etc changes the experience significantly for the better.
mediax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:32 AM   #7
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
T3 (allegedly ) out in US at least on September 19th ....

See in the Sony section .......

But a T2 would certainly click the boxes, a T1 would be OK - but beware the refurb route............. a lot have, hidden away in the description somewhere, "refurb'd by seller" or similar.
We don't seem to get genuine factory refurb's over here - not much demand I suppose .
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:09 PM   #8
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinningdoc View Post
I've been pretty happy with my PRS505 but the battery's palpably going, and it'll only charge via USB now, rather than wall charger, which I find a giant pain. So I'm starting to think what to get next.

- I'm in the UK, so I guess that rules out Nooks.
If you feel like trying a 5" device, the Kobo Mini is currently on offer at £29.99 on the WHsmith site (with free saver delivery). No SD card, though, but you would be able to sideload and use a wall charger. If you are prepared to play around with it, you can open it and replace the SD card with a larger one.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote