Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-24-2012, 03:50 AM   #1
Moët
Nameless Being

I can't add books to Calibre from Kindle 4 Mac.

Hi,

I'm a Windows user who has recently 'converted' to Apple, and I'm coming up against a problem that my Windows-brain won't tell me the solution for. I'm trying to add my Amazon books to Calibre from Kindle 4 Mac. I use the 'Add Books' option and then attempt to direct Calibre to the Kindle 4 Mac library. I do this by going into 'Preferences' in Kindle 4 Mac to find the location of the books. Kindle 4 Mac tells me that the location is as follows:

Moët -> Library -> Application Support -> Kindle -> My Kindle Content

I can location Application Support, but from there I can't find the Kindle folder. When I attempt to search the entire hard drive for the kindle content folder, I come up with zero results. Am I doing something wrong? If not, what's happening and, if possible, how can I circumvent it?

Thank you.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:54 AM   #2
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
Take charge! Change the location of your Kindle for Mac content.

I created a "Books" folder just under my user level so it's at the same level as "Documents" "Music" "Pictues" etc. I use that folder for all things pertaining to Books. So your Kindle content will end up at: Moet>Books>Kindle Library (as per your Kindle prefs setting).

Once you know where your files are you can simply "drop" them onto the Calibre window to add them to Calibre...

Don't forget that the Kindle files will have DRM...

by the way...
On a Mac the user Library folder is often "hidden" (invisible). You can easily get to it by holding the option key and using the "GO TO" pull down menu on the Finder. (Library only shows with the option key held down.)
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:11 AM   #3
Moët
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
Take charge! Change the location of your Kindle for Mac content.

I created a "Books" folder just under my user level so it's at the same level as "Documents" "Music" "Pictues" etc. I use that folder for all things pertaining to Books. So your Kindle content will end up at: Moet>Books>Kindle Library (as per your Kindle prefs setting).

Once you know where your files are you can simply "drop" them onto the Calibre window to add them to Calibre...

Don't forget that the Kindle files will have DRM...

by the way...
On a Mac the user Library folder is often "hidden" (invisible). You can easily get to it by holding the option key and using the "GO TO" pull down menu on the Finder. (Library only shows with the option key held down.)
Thank you! I ended up using command + click within the Kindle 4 Mac preferences to open the folder and drag my books into calibre, but I'll move everything now, as per your suggestion, to make it quicker next time.

Thank you for the tip on locating hidden folders, too. I would never have figured that out myself... Now I just need to write that tip down somewhere, and remember that I have it written down the next time it's handy.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:18 AM   #4
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moët View Post
Thank you for the tip on locating hidden folders, too. I would never have figured that out myself... Now I just need to write that tip down somewhere, and remember that I have it written down the next time it's handy.
Being new to the Mac, you might want to also join some Mac forums and browse them. Just Google "mac forums" and you'll find forums, Macworld, cnet, and others.

Another tip: I particularly don't like the Mac search feature built into the Finder. You can improve your "searching" skills by getting the EasyFind app and dropping an alias of it on top of your Finder window with the other icons. There's also some "find" tricks and setups so google "Mac Find by Name"

Also read this:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2350?v...S&locale=en_US
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote