Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-02-2010, 11:57 AM   #1
italianReader
Connoisseur
italianReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.italianReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.italianReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.italianReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: onyx boox 60
sony prs 600...or not?

hello everybody,
I'm new to the forum and I would ask you a question about my (probably) next purchase.

I need an e-book reader with all the sony prs 600's features (built-in dictionary/note taking/touchscreen/search function/...) but i'm not sure that this device is the most suitable for me.

On the web I have read a lot of issues about the screen glare and the lack of contrast and, considering that I've to make an international order, i want to be sure to take the right choice.

So...Is there any other device that offers the same features but doesn't have those 2 problems? No e-book readers with dimensions greater than 180 X 130 because i don't want to sacrifice the portability...note that also a 5'' screen is fine.

I know, I'm very spoilt.......Thanks everyone

p.s.: English is not my mother tongue and i will probably make a lot of mistakes...every correction is welcome
italianReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:09 PM   #2
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Welcome IR

you can check the MR Wiki page: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_devices
for the current devices as well as the comparison matrix:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix

for those that have annotation and touch screens. And visit the appropriate (sub)forum here to ask specific questions.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2010, 12:23 PM   #3
italianReader
Connoisseur
italianReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.italianReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.italianReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.italianReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thank kennyc, i've already read it but the devices that could be valid substitutes (Hanvon WISEreader N518, PocketBook 302, iRex DR800SG) are all still unreleased.

In your opinion are the glare and contrast problems intrinsically tied to the touchscreen or i can hope that with these new models the problems will be solved?
Old 01-02-2010, 12:32 PM   #4
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Welcome ItalianReader!
There are two types of touchscreen. One uses a layer on top of the e-ink screen, like the sony prs-600 does. The other uses wacom technology I think, the touchscreen is under the e-ink, so e-ink quality is not affected, but you can only use the specified stylus with it. Users of these devices can tell you more. I have had my prs-600 for 3 months now and I'm loving it. Some people are more disturbed by the glare than others. My experience tells me that with sufficiently bright lighting it is almost unnoticeable, with dimmer lighting almost unreadable.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:41 PM   #5
italianReader
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
Welcome ItalianReader!
There are two types of touchscreen. One uses a layer on top of the e-ink screen, like the sony prs-600 does. The other uses wacom technology I think, the touchscreen is under the e-ink, so e-ink quality is not affected, but you can only use the specified stylus with it. Users of these devices can tell you more. I have had my prs-600 for 3 months now and I'm loving it. Some people are more disturbed by the glare than others. My experience tells me that with sufficiently bright lighting it is almost unnoticeable, with dimmer lighting almost unreadable.
Thanks a lot for these informations.

I read that reading on psr-600 is very similar to read a paper through a glass...do you agree with this comparison?
Advert
Old 01-02-2010, 12:46 PM   #6
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

As I said, it has a lot to do with the light you read under. If the light is not really bright, then yes, the glass comparison is valid. But with good light I hardly see any reflection at all, or feel that there's anything between the letters and me. It's a pity you cannot try one out for yourself before buying, because only you will know if it bothers you. I can only tell you that even though I also own a prs-505 which has a near-perfect screen, my prs-600 is still my primary reader.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:05 PM   #7
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I think there is your glare/contrast answer.

Looking forward to hearing what you choose.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 01:24 PM   #8
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Well, I've read that the contrast on the prs-900 is better, but I imagine that the glare is about the same... still, I am tempted to buy it as my "academic" reader, and as an added bonus it is still quite portable.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 02:24 PM   #9
chainring
Addict
chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650 (black), Kindle 3G
The reading paper under glass is a bit unfair. It's more like a very lightly matted glass, not unlike the matted screen on a laptop. Does it reduce the "pop" of something like a PRS-505? Sure, but if you have good to decent eyesight, it shouldn't be a problem.
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:02 PM   #10
italianReader
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainring View Post
The reading paper under glass is a bit unfair. It's more like a very lightly matted glass, not unlike the matted screen on a laptop. Does it reduce the "pop" of something like a PRS-505? Sure, but if you have good to decent eyesight, it shouldn't be a problem.
I hope quite different from this glass...
Old 01-02-2010, 09:04 PM   #11
chainring
Addict
chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650 (black), Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianReader View Post
I hope quite different from this glass...
Nooo, nothing like that. Those doors are, what we in the US call, "frosted".

Like I said, more like that of a matte screen on a laptop.
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 03:44 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I have many eBook readers, as you can see from my profile on the left. The PRS-600 is my favourite, and the one that I use every day.

The touch screen has a slight impact on screen clarity, but the additional features it brings you far outweigh that - for me, at least.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:40 AM   #13
italianReader
Connoisseur

Just another 2 questions...

People often write that prs 600 works well under the "right" light. What do they precisely mean?

If a buy it (or also another device) I'd buy it from the US...in your opinion is there any problem for voltage or other electrical details?

By the way, thanks you all...you are very kind.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:49 AM   #14
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
The voltage isn't a problem, you can charge your reader using a usb with your computer, or you can buy an adapter (either one for the sony readers, or for the sony psp, which is cheaper). with the adapter the voltage isn't a problem but you would have to get one of those electrical outlet adapters which are cheap and easy to find, I bought one at the airport in Milan for about 3 euros. However, you don't need to buy an adapter, you can charge using your home computer.

my reader is the sony prs-505 model, but as far as I've read the charging is the same on all the models that sony has realeased.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:03 AM   #15
omk3
Wizard

I would think the "right" light is any relatively strong, white light (like the leds the book lights use). The overhead light on a plane for example is perfect too. Yellowish ambient light is not as good.