Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-29-2024, 03:25 PM   #1
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
Transparent Cash Grab: James Clavell's Shōgun is now two books

No doubt spurred by the recent Hulu/FX series, James Clavell's Shōgun is making the e-book rounds again. This time, however, the publisher has opted to split it into two books:

https://www.amazon.com/Shōgun-Part-...dp/B0CLKYXY4C/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CLL23RXM

"It was too long to read as one book!" they said. Well, that may be true, but if you were planning to read the whole thing anyway, you now get to pay double the price for the convenience of a pre-built bookmark at the midpoint.

Plus, I hope you weren't still hoping to get that old *one-book* edition from Amazon, Kobo, etc, because those editions have all been pulled from the store. I can still see it in my Kobo purchase history, but trying to pull up the page itself shows it's no longer available:

https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/shogun-1
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 03:50 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Heh. I still have an one-volume edition, bought from Google Play in 2017 (probably no longer available there, as you said, but can't be bothered to check). So I don't see myself ever splurging on those new money-grabbing editions. They can stuff them you-know-where.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-29-2024, 04:05 PM   #3
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
As a kid, I remember seeing the hardcover in our house as two books. But if I remember correctly, they were two books together in a slip case.

Like you, I bought the one volume ebook (for the outrageous price of $2) back when it was available. Now I get a cute picture of a dog when I try to look at the product page.

I do remember Clive Barker's Imajica was published as a fat book, then split and is now again available as a single book. I'm sure Shōgun will do the same.

BTW: The new miniseries looks beautiful, but I haven't seen much in the previews that I remember from the book. Maybe my memory is hazy.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 04:08 PM   #4
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Read the one book paperback when I was much younger. Currently have the one book edition for my Kindle.
ucfgrad93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 04:43 AM   #5
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
It's not that unusual to split books that are over 1000 pages. We had it with some of the Stormlight Archive and Song of Ice and Fire books when they went to paperback, here in the UK.

Is it actually weird that long books are the same price as short books?

Anyway, it does look like we still have the single-volume edition of Shogun here. Not only that, but it's 99p on the kindle store at the moment. (I bought it in 2015, apparently.)
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2024, 05:00 AM   #6
SomeSteve
Addict
SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
Anyway, it does look like we still have the single-volume edition of Shogun here. Not only that, but it's 99p on the kindle store at the moment.
James Clavell - Shogun (complete in one volume). £0.99 at Amazon UK and Kobo UK.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shogun-Firs...dp/B00D3J2QKC/

https://www.kobo.com/gb/en/ebook/shogun-1

€1.19 at Amazon Germany.

https://www.amazon.de/Shogun-First-N...dp/B00D3J2QKC/

Last edited by SomeSteve; 03-01-2024 at 05:05 AM.
SomeSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 05:34 AM   #7
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I can see splitting a paperback into two volumes. I remember my brother reading it as a paperback in one volume. By the time he got through with it is as kinda destroyed. But why split an ebook into two volumes. It’s not like it makes it easier to carry around… This is just a money grab.

I’ve read multi volume series that were sold as one book for kindle. It wasn’t any harder to carry it around. Lol.

Last edited by drofgnal; 03-01-2024 at 05:38 AM.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 05:40 AM   #8
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I had the paperback version and read it multiple times. Actually, I still have it and it is still in decent condition. I also have the eBook version and have read it. Why would anyone want to buy a book that ends in the middle of the story? I have to second the money grabbing motion.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 08:36 AM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
It needed to be two (physical) books. Same with Sacajawea by Anna Lea Waldo. When they were released in paperback, I remember thinking how obscene they looked with their half-moon spines and rounded front edges all splayed out on coffee tables. Yuck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Why would anyone want to buy a book that ends in the middle of the story?
Genre serial series lovers seem to gobble that sort of thing up all the time.

I agree that splitting books previously published as single physical volumes into multiple ebooks is a blatant cash grab, though.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-01-2024 at 08:50 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 11:36 AM   #10
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Still available as one ebook in Overdrive libraries (in the UK anyway).

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 01:56 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh2000 View Post
Still available as one ebook in Overdrive libraries (in the UK anyway).

Andrew
In the US as well. There's a Random House & A Blackstone version.

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-01-2024 at 02:06 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 02:20 PM   #12
Brianrh
Connoisseur
Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Heh. I still have an one-volume edition, bought from Google Play in 2017 (probably no longer available there, as you said, but can't be bothered to check). So I don't see myself ever splurging on those new money-grabbing editions. They can stuff them you-know-where.
Just got what I think is the single volume edition from Google Play in the UK for £0.99.
Brianrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 04:02 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Given the size of Shōgun and that it was done with Velum, it was rather easy to edit to make it look good.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 04:39 PM   #14
The_Enobee
The_Enobee began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
I also noticed they split the audiobook on audible (US) into two parts. I can still access the 53 hr 33 min single audiobook I bought years ago, but it's only available for purchase now in two volumes.
The_Enobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 10:51 AM   #15
milo132
Banned
milo132 began at the beginning.

Device: android
Is this still available
milo132 is offline   Reply With Quote