Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-01-2024, 04:38 AM   #31
arturg
Zealot
arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arturg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 5 (10th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Have you tried other fonts besides Bookerly or other fonts that come on a Kindle?
Yes, didn't like any of them except Bookerly.
arturg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 02:25 PM   #32
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually you can get KePub to render ligatures.

In the file Kobo eReader.conf (found inside .kobo) under [Reading} add in webkitTextRendering=geometricPrecision and you will get ligatures.
I know but there are some rendering issues: words with double spacing between letters.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2024, 03:55 PM   #33
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post
I know but there are some rendering issues: words with double spacing between letters.
Better hyphenation can help with that, though I'll admit it is still not perfect.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 05:12 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Better hyphenation can help with that, though I'll admit it is still not perfect.
Link to the better hyphenation dictionaries. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=252405

I know getting KePub to display kerning, hyphens, and ligatures is not perfect, but it's a lot better then the default display from KePub. Also, there is a patch for KePub that reduces the space between words that also looks a lot better.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 05:22 PM   #35
Martinoptic
Bibliolater
Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Most (if not all) SIL fonts can be tweaked in typetuner web

https://typetunerweb.languagetechnol....cgi#gsc.tab=0

If you want to try them and haven’t access to a font program. It’s basic but I found it worthwhile playing with FWIW,
Martinoptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2024, 03:55 PM   #36
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
I'm boring, I really love "Times New Roman" as my primary reading font on my device.

But I can live with "FreeSerif" and "Georgia" fonts.

Though I really can't tell the difference between FreeSerif and Times New Roman.

I'm okay with the Arial fonts for chapter headers...
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 06:03 PM   #37
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalthia View Post
Though I really can't tell the difference between FreeSerif and Times New Roman.
This is Wikipedia's description of FreeSerif, so perhaps not surprising
Quote:
FreeSerif is based on URW++ Nimbus Roman No. 9 L, which is similar to Times
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 02:40 PM   #38
mt.msla
Enthusiast
mt.msla began at the beginning.

Device: PW 2 3gb
Crimson Pro, Bookerly (of course), and Belgrano. I also like Verdana.
mt.msla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 09:21 AM   #39
BionicGecko
Addict
BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Oasis 3 and Scribe
My favourite serif font is ITC Garamond Light (love that rounded O). For sans serif I really like Corporative Alt. Unfortunately neither of those are free.
BionicGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 05:17 AM   #40
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
Recently I found this font called Caecilia LT Std 55 Roman, which looks very nice to me, but I'd like to add some weight to it for use in Calibre Viewer and conversions to PDF.

At first, I succeded by using Fontforge -> selecting all glyphs with Ctrl + A -> Menu Element -> Style -> Change Weight. I was able to create a version with much more weight than I would like, as I used 10 "Embolden units".

Afterwards, I played with smaller embolden values, but the changes wouldn't seem to take. I've tried rebuilding font cache, uninstalling and reinstalling the fonts etc.

So I quit, humpf.

Last edited by Comfy.n; 02-11-2024 at 05:45 AM.
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 05:46 AM   #41
Comfy.n
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
LexiaDama.
wheee, I liked that one!
Old 02-11-2024, 07:09 PM   #42
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
I really enjoy Gentium Book Basic. I use it for all my fiction reading.
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 08:19 AM   #43
jackm8
Zealot
jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfy.n View Post
Recently I found this font called Caecilia LT Std 55 Roman, which looks very nice to me, but I'd like to add some weight to it for use in Calibre Viewer and conversions to PDF.

At first, I succeded by using Fontforge -> selecting all glyphs with Ctrl + A -> Menu Element -> Style -> Change Weight. I was able to create a version with much more weight than I would like, as I used 10 "Embolden units".

Afterwards, I played with smaller embolden values, but the changes wouldn't seem to take. I've tried rebuilding font cache, uninstalling and reinstalling the fonts etc.

So I quit, humpf.
Yeah, I've been there. I can almost guarantee you that you did something wrong. Fontforge is very robust and great at adjustments like that, but it's also easy to go wrong with it. Working with fonts can be a bit confusing, as font families, naming and stated weight all play a role. Making sure that you're generating in proper format and looking up Font Info panels would be my first troubleshooting step.
jackm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 04:23 PM   #44
Comfy.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackm8 View Post
Yeah, I've been there. I can almost guarantee you that you did something wrong. Fontforge is very robust and great at adjustments like that, but it's also easy to go wrong with it. Working with fonts can be a bit confusing, as font families, naming and stated weight all play a role. Making sure that you're generating in proper format and looking up Font Info panels would be my first troubleshooting step.
thanks!
Old 02-14-2024, 07:10 AM   #45
chrisread67
chrisread67 began at the beginning.

default works best
chrisread67 is offline   Reply With Quote