Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-17-2018, 01:50 PM   #121
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Plastic substrates are a premium feature because they are newish, more expensive, and add value (less fragile and lower weight, each a significant value).
I understand. I was just being silly.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 03:57 PM   #122
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
That said, I expect this won't be jailbreakable out of the box. Without Calibre Kindle Collections/Librarian Sync, I shudder to imagine managing and browsing a Guternberg-sized library on this.
This is exactly what's keeping me from upgrading to a 32GB Kindle (me eBook collection is at ~ 5,200, organized into about 10 collections). Not having a decent Collections management system (without jailbreaking) is a deal-breaker. I've looked at the options for Collections Management via Calibre and they are beyond daunting due to the complexity involved, IMHO.

I recently noticed on my Voyage that any collection larger than approximately 950 books won't allow anything to be added...SMH....
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2018, 07:13 PM   #123
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
This is exactly what's keeping me from upgrading to a 32GB Kindle (me eBook collection is at ~ 5,200, organized into about 10 collections). Not having a decent Collections management system (without jailbreaking) is a deal-breaker. I've looked at the options for Collections Management via Calibre and they are beyond daunting due to the complexity involved, IMHO.

I recently noticed on my Voyage that any collection larger than approximately 950 books won't allow anything to be added...SMH....
That's why I jumped on the PW3 32GB Manga deal on Woot a few months back (and even got myself a spare for backup).

I've got 3 jailbroken PW3s and another bricked PW3 (ebay used $40) which got that way when I was trying to jailbreak.

I definitely want the waterproofing though, and already have a plan for working around its quirks. Basically, only manga and Amazon purchased ebooks will be stored permanently on the PW4 (not a huge library so manual collection management is doable). Sideloaded books will be download/copy-read-delete.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:22 PM   #124
blue_skies
Evangelist
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue T62+; Boyue Mimas; and my old Kindle Keyboard
I am very disappointed in the new Kindle. I have been hoping to replace my old Kindle Keyboard with a new Kindle for many years now. I tried a Paperwhite a few years ago but the screens were blotchy. (I tried two and had to return them both due to poor screen quality.)

I would prefer a screen that is larger than six inches and I won't buy one without an amber light option because I read at night, tend to have insomnia and have noticed a big improvement since my computer screen has been set to more amber tones. I thought for sure the new Kindle will finally have one and I'm shocked and dismayed that it doesn't.

Additionally, it's probably futile to hope that Kindle will ever have speakers again, but I do like that my Kindle Keyboard has them and wish they would include them again. (I get migraines and like to use TTS without having to use earphones or earbuds.)

I was also saddened to read that Amazon's Liquivista is dead. I held the tiniest glimmer of hope that Amazon would eventually introduce a color eReader. Is there any chance they could someday include a ClearInk screen? That technology is still moving forward, isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eDP View Post
Interesting they're still not introducing a comfort light type feature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
Quite disappointing, they should have at least included some type of night light and upgraded the Oasis in that regard.
This is quite unappealing for most all of the people who own a more recent Kindle model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I didn't think much of color changing light either until I had an ereader that has it.

Blue light affecting your sleep may be a bunch of bunk. But at night when I'm reading on my Aura and my better half is reading a Glowlight 3, the amber glow is much more pleasant and makes my low lit Aura seem like it's glaring.
Lack of a 'comfort' light is a deal breaker for me. When I turn on my non-comfort light eReader in the middle of the night, the light is glaring even at its lowest setting.

I am happy for people who wanted waterproof, but that holds zero appeal for me.

I like Amazon's software, but I may just have to give up on Kindle and buy another Android based eReader instead to get the features I need. The upside is that Boyue and other brands tend to have much better specs for a lot less money it seems.

Last edited by blue_skies; 10-17-2018 at 10:05 PM.
blue_skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:26 PM   #125
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
BlueSkies, it's good that you point out features that are MISSING since they may very well be important to others. Blue light was not an issue for ME because I don't read at night in bed. Many do.

I also like the speakers, and while I used to use either the Kindle Keyboard or Kindle Touch every day while washing dishes or doing laundry, my hearing has diminished to the point that I now have to use a Kindle Basic or the Fire with bluetooth speakers. Given that most ereaders don't have TTS, those that do are probably also going to go the way of bluetooth. So buy another old KK or Touch while you can.

I looked up the Boyue ereader and the feature that nixed it for me was that it needed to be recharged after only 11 hours. I only charge ereaders once or twice a month. This would need nearly a daily charge. Otherwise, I agree, has some good features. I do like the larger page size.

Last edited by Tarana; 10-17-2018 at 09:34 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2018, 10:03 PM   #126
blue_skies
Evangelist
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
BlueSkies, it's good that you point out features that are MISSING since they may very well be important to others. Blue light was not an issue for ME because I don't read at night in bed. Many do.

I also like the speakers, and while I used to use either the Kindle Keyboard or Kindle Touch every day while washing dishes or doing laundry, my hearing has diminished to the point that I now have to use a Kindle Basic or the Fire with bluetooth speakers. Given that most ereaders don't have TTS, those that do are probably also going to go the way of bluetooth. So buy another old KK or Touch while you can.

I looked up the Boyue ereader and the feature that nixed it for me was that it needed to be recharged after only 11 hours. I only charge ereaders once or twice a month. This would need nearly a daily charge. Otherwise, I agree, has some good features. I do like the larger page size.
Thank you for your post Tarana!

I feel like I am part of a very small group who cares about having speakers. I think the Boox Note has them, if I'm not mistaken, and that device ticked most of my preferences except the amber light option.

The Boyue I bought a few years back is the T62+ which has a 6" screen and no comfort light or speakers... but its frontlight is extremely even and it was only around 100 dollars which was very inexpensive back then for those specs. When I first got it the battery life was poor even though it has a large battery, probably because the operating system hadn't yet been optimized for an eReader. Fortunately after the firmware was updated the battery life improved tremendously and I only have to charge it every couple weeks. I wonder if the current Boyue model is having a similar issue and will improve with a firmware update? I haven't looked at the features of current models lately because it always leaves me frustrated.

Last edited by blue_skies; 10-17-2018 at 10:09 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:56 PM   #127
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_skies View Post
Lack of a 'comfort' light is a deal breaker for me. When I turn on my non-comfort light eReader in the middle of the night, the light is glaring even at its lowest setting.

I am happy for people who wanted waterproof, but that holds zero appeal for me.

I like Amazon's software, but I may just have to give up on Kindle and buy another Android based eReader instead to get the features I need. The upside is that Boyue and other brands tend to have much better specs for a lot less money it seems.
I'm bummed this new release doesn't work for you. I'm one of those people who cared about waterproof, but I know it is useless for many readers. I did hope for the comfortlight and know it was probably the most requested feature - yes, I am surprised they didn't release it finally Not sure why they keep holding out on that.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:14 PM   #128
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
I'm bummed this new release doesn't work for you. I'm one of those people who cared about waterproof, but I know it is useless for many readers. I did hope for the comfortlight and know it was probably the most requested feature - yes, I am surprised they didn't release it finally Not sure why they keep holding out on that.
More likely than not, Amazon's reserving the feature for an Oasis update as a way to upsell.

I know for me, I've been tempted to buy the Oasis 2 for waterproofing and 32GB a few times but the cons outweighed the pros so I never pulled the trigger.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 10-17-2018 at 11:16 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:48 PM   #129
blue_skies
Evangelist

Quote:
Thank you Paperbackstash! It is weird that they didn't include the comfortlight that so many competing models have. I am happy for you that they have the waterproof feature though. Are you planning to buy one?
Old 10-18-2018, 01:58 AM   #130
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Thank you Paperbackstash! It is weird that they didn't include the comfortlight that so many competing models have. I am happy for you that they have the waterproof feature though. Are you planning to buy one?
Perhaps they don’t know how to do on par with more recent offerings from their competitors.
Would not be surprised to learn that Amazon is ok falling behind in categories that they think they dominate.
Probably the best way to go is to get the new Paperwhite and then return it because it is underwhelming compared to other brands, which is definitely true. That should raise some flags. They care more about returns that bad reviews.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:31 AM   #131
ren41
Connoisseur
ren41 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Kindle Voyage, iPad2, iPhone 6S+, iPhone 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by eDP View Post
How do you find the display on the 7" Oasis compared to the Voyage? At one point I had both, then compared them side by side and found text on the Oasis wasn't as sharp, or as black. Decided to only keep the Voyage (and have since picked up a 6" Oasis which I quite like).
Actually on mine I think the Oasis text is nicer. I wish I could get a Frankenstein version of the two - 7" display with Voyage surround and page presses. I do prefer to soft touch finish of the Voyage, too.
ren41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:33 AM   #132
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
A Nice Enough Product, I think

But is it enough to make me retire my PW2 and get one? Not really. When the PW2 dies, I might be interested, but I'd, 'fer sure', be interested in a 7 or 8 inch PW 5
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:33 AM   #133
ren41
Connoisseur
ren41 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Kindle Voyage, iPad2, iPhone 6S+, iPhone 8
Quote:
Unfortunately I have a feeling it won't be much faster, if the speed changes at all. From what I understand it's mainly using the same hardware specs, although it'd be a nice surprise if it were quicker with the new release.
that's pretty disappointing if so.
ren41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 10:06 AM   #134
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I would prefer a screen that is larger than six inches and I won't buy one without an amber light option because I read at night, tend to have insomnia and have noticed a big improvement since my computer screen has been set to more amber tones. I thought for sure the new Kindle will finally have one and I'm shocked and dismayed that it doesn't.
Why not just buy a Kobo Forma? That seems to tick all your boxes and it can be ordered from Walmart.

Quote:
I can't start calling color changing e-reader lights comfort light as that is what Kobo has called their lighting system on all their e-readers since they were introduced (the color changing light is now called Comfort Light Pro which sounds even sillier to me).
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 10:53 AM   #135
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Yes, I did pre-order. I have an ancient Fire that I reserve for color books and comics, but the Paperwhite I currently have is my #1 reading device for e-books. I'm a huge bathtub reader and I almost went for the Oasis a few times, but there was a lot holding me back from splurging on that, so this as an upgrade for me makes perfect sense. Since I subscribe to Unlimited and this will give me six months free of it, it helps with making up some of the cost that way as well.

Still, I realize upgrading doesn't make sense for everyone if this new release doesn't have features that work for the person. I didn't expect Waterproof so that was a surprise.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote