Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-08-2017, 06:47 PM   #1
Bryanhoop
Bryanhoop began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Are there any ereaders besides the Aura One that have a blue-light filter?

I've noticed a big improvement in my sleeping patterns when I'm not constantly exposing myself to white LED light. I like the looks of the Aura One but it's a bit out of my price range. Are there any chinese or other ereaders that have the blue-light filter?
Bryanhoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:17 PM   #2
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
The jury is still out on whether blue light on e-ink devices causes sleep problems. It's a very different thing than a tablet with it's backlight shining into your eyes. E-ink readers have a front light shining down onto the screen and we only get reflected light, and a lot less of it.

Alternatively you can try an ereader without a light such as the basic Kindle or the Basic Kobo. These are pretty inexpensive and they're not bad devices from what I've heard and you can be sure there's no blue light since there's no light. You can read by lamplight.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2017, 09:31 PM   #3
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
And for the sake of accuracy, the KA1 doesn't have a blue light filter, it just has additional non-white LED's that allow you to choose how much white LED vs other colour (i.e. red) LED gets used (similar effect to what some tablets use to reduce the blue light output).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 12:33 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Our wiki is following the Blue light issue. See Blue-light exposure.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote