Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-08-2008, 09:10 AM   #1
rcrh
Enthusiast
rcrh began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Borders 505 on an existing account

I'm going to be purchasing a second 505 in the next couple of days and I see that Borders is now selling the devices. It seems to make sense to support Borders in this endevor as it may lead to more titles being made available (or maybe not????).

But, I've read some posts here about the Border's purchased 505 coming with a different version of the eLibrary software and that it used a difference ebook store.

So, I want to know if anyone has purchased a Borders 505 and added it to an existing Sony connect account.

thanks in advance,
Richard
rcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:22 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It uses the same eBook store as the 505's from Sony or elsewhere. The only difference is there is some sort of page that doesn't display after logging in. But it is very easy to click the home page link after the error to go onto the store and do whatever.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2008, 10:04 AM   #3
rcrh
Enthusiast

My concern is the actual "account" used at the store.
1) We already have cash on deposit with the store on our existing account,
2) we want the books we purchase to be available to both of our 505's. My understanding is that books can only be shared on readers activated on the same account.

So, if the Border's 505 forces me to create a new account I don't want it.

Thanks.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:06 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's not a problem to have both 505's activated on the same account. You won't have an issue. It is the same eBook store.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:40 AM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
There's not a special version of the library software in the box or anything, it's exactly the same as one bought anywhere else. When you register as having bought it from Borders then you get the Borders branded store (which is no different at this point). You can add it to your existing account just fine.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2008, 10:51 AM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
To amplify: when you get your new 505, log into your existing account, just as you do now, and register the new 505 on your existing account.

Then you'll have access to everything on the second Reader that you do now on the first one.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:45 AM   #7
rcrh
Enthusiast

Spot on.

That's what I was hoping to hear.

Thanks!
Richard
Old 01-08-2008, 12:51 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Well, I'm glad that it also happens to be true then!

Glad we could help out.

And welcome to MobileRead, by the way! There's all sorts of good info skulking about the place.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:00 PM   #9
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Yep, I ended up using my wife's account. I have one tiny unresolved issue. Our 2nd Sony came with a sticker code for "$10 off a single e-book" credit.

I have been unable to claim this because the first reader, and therefore our account, is registered to a non-Borders-bought reader and the code is not accepted. Customer service has NOT resolved the situation to my satisfaction but I'm probably going to just blow off the $10 loss rather than attempt an end-run involving a second PC and new Borders account.

I'll just hold an unreasonable grudge against Borders and go out of my way to spend an adsurd sum of money on e-books elsewhere.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:17 PM   #10
rcrh
Enthusiast

Penforhire,

I just picked up my second reader (from borders) and was reading the small print on the CD package (where is the zoom feature on these darn cardboard packages!!!). It says that the $10 credit if for NEW ACCOUNTS ONLY.

I'm going to try a kick at customer service when I get home, but I'm betting it will be a loosing proposition.

Oh well.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:32 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

In that case, create a new account, register your reader to it, redeem the code, spend it, read the book you want to read. Then authorize it to your wife's account. It will deauthorize it from yours. Then if you ever want to reread what you bought, authorize it back to your account. All the books purchased from her account won't work. But when you switch back, they will again.

Question, how many ebooks does your wife have from her account? If she doesn't have many books and she doesn't care about rereading them again, you can just blow off her account once she finishes her books and just use yours.