Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-18-2011, 09:18 AM   #1
DisneeReader
DisneeReader began at the beginning.

Device: none
Will a 6" screen make much difference?

Hi. Long time lurker, first time poster here! Coming out of the woodwork to ask a question:

I currently have a Sony PRS 350 with the 5" screen. I've really enjoyed it but lately my eyes (never great to begin with) have been getting worse. Dr. says it's not a big deal, just aging and I'm about a year away from needing bi-focals. Bleah.

I've adjusted the fonts and that seems to help, but now I'm flipping pages like crazy b/c not much text fits on the page. I'm thinking of getting a Kindle with the larger screen but I'm wondering if it will really help. I've played with them in the store and it seems better, but obviously I can't read for hours in the store to see how it goes. I've thought about a tablet with a much bigger screen, but I don't like the LCD display for reading.

So for those of you who have/had experience with both a 5" screen and a 6", will it make much of a difference to me or not?
DisneeReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:09 AM   #2
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneeReader View Post
Hi. Long time lurker, first time poster here! Coming out of the woodwork to ask a question:

I currently have a Sony PRS 350 with the 5" screen. I've really enjoyed it but lately my eyes (never great to begin with) have been getting worse. Dr. says it's not a big deal, just aging and I'm about a year away from needing bi-focals. Bleah.

I've adjusted the fonts and that seems to help, but now I'm flipping pages like crazy b/c not much text fits on the page. I'm thinking of getting a Kindle with the larger screen but I'm wondering if it will really help. I've played with them in the store and it seems better, but obviously I can't read for hours in the store to see how it goes. I've thought about a tablet with a much bigger screen, but I don't like the LCD display for reading.

So for those of you who have/had experience with both a 5" screen and a 6", will it make much of a difference to me or not?
I've got quite a bunch of readers and tablets.
Readers from 5" (PB 360, Sony 300) over 6" (Kindle 3, Sony 505, Sony 600) to 7" (iRex 800) and above (Kindle DX Graphite, iRex 1000S).
Tablets from 7" (Samsung Galaxy Tab, PlayBook) to 10" (iPad2, Xoom).
Obviously, the bigger the screen = the more lines/letters per page respectively same amount of information but respectively bigger font.
Personally, I wouldn't recommend tablets for extensive reading, especially when already having problems with your sight.
Glare is one issue. Weight, contrast or battery duration are some others.

For dedicated readers, there's no real argument against bigger displays. Kindle DX Graphite's pearl screen for example is one of the best out there.
6" will make things easier for you compared to 5". But obviously 7", 8" or even bigger will be even more helpful.
My personal favorite still is Kindle DX Graphite.

If you're fine with Sony 350's display quality, most of the new readers will be fine. Older ones don't have the pearl display yet and slightly less contrast. You find "pearl" in the technical descriptions.

As you've already got Sony 350, I'd check out Sony 950 (7") instead of Sony 650 (6").
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2011, 10:10 AM   #3
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Quote:
I'm thinking of getting a Kindle with the larger screen but I'm wondering if it will really help.
It sounds like the K3 would help, yes. You could fit more words on a page without having to flip, and the darkness and thickness of the Kindle's serif font, Caecilia, would probably really help too. I think the Kindle has more text sizes than the Sony too. I think the only reservation I would have is that the text on the 350, being a 5", is sharper than any 6" ereader I've tried, but it seems to me the advantages of a 6" win in this case.

(I use regularly the 350 and a Kobo, which is 6".)

Now, whether a 6" device is that much better compared to getting a much larger LCD-based tablet, I don't know... But there are 9.7" eink devices available. Maybe consider a 9.7" Kindle DX or Pocketbook? These sound like really good options for you.

Last edited by viviena; 07-18-2011 at 10:12 AM. Reason: 10" /= 9.7"
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:35 AM   #4
DisneeReader

Thanks for the thoughts so far. I did consider the larger sony and the Kindle DX, but the price points are really more than I want to pay. That was part of my argument against a tablet, too, in addition to the LCD glare problem. I'd really like to stay under $200, if at all possible.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:47 AM   #5
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Personally, I bought a DXG because I prefer having as many words on the screen as possible. I use a K3 when I am traveling. It works fine but I find myself missing my DXG. I just like the bigger screen.

It really comes down to personal preference.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2011, 10:48 AM   #6
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Thanks for the thoughts so far. I did consider the larger sony and the Kindle DX, but the price points are really more than I want to pay. That was part of my argument against a tablet, too, in addition to the LCD glare problem. I'd really like to stay under $200, if at all possible.
The K3 Special Ofer With 3g is $139 and you could end up saving money on things that you want when offers you like come up.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:38 PM   #7
jtdolphins
Zealot
jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipod touch, Kindle3
Quote:
Dr. says it's not a big deal, just aging and I'm about a year away from needing bi-focals. Bleah.
I got my first pair of reading glasses a few months ago. HUGE difference. I didn't even know I had a problem till I was at the optometrist. I only went due to wife's nagging, but it has been night and day. Glad I went because I am back into reading again.

Back to your question. I like reading on the 6 inch screen. I don't like flipping pages very often. For me the 5 inch just seemed to small and I already and an ipod touch. I don't seem to be flipping that much on the 6 inch. Like carrying a paperback. Anything bigger, I just don't find that portable.
jtdolphins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:45 AM   #8
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I don't care for anything larger than 7". I find there's a limit on the amount of text on the screen that I find comfortable reading. I also don't like large lettering, this also makes it more difficult for me to read. So, it's all personal and you really should look at how large devices are. When I bought my first e-ink device, I make a size comparison between the various devices available on paper.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:31 AM   #9
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
6" does make a difference, but a not a HUGE difference IMHO.
Have you considered the Nook or Kobo Touch? I know I would not like to go from my 350 to a Kindle and loose the touch interface.
The problem for me with the 350 when it comes to letter size is the large steps between sizes. Often I need the text just a little big bigger, but if I loose too much of the words on one page I don't rescale. I know there are workarounds for this, but out of the box it is a problem for me. As I understand it Kobo gives you very good control over font size, line spacing and margins. Nook also gives you more control over it than Sony, but not as much as Kobo.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:58 AM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdolphins View Post
I got my first pair of reading glasses a few months ago. HUGE difference. I didn't even know I had a problem till I was at the optometrist. I only went due to wife's nagging, but it has been night and day. Glad I went because I am back into reading again.
Disnee, I agree with jt; reading glasses will make a big difference. Get a pair of inexpensive ones and reduce the font on your 350 back to your original settings. That should do the trick; and save you from having to spend big money for a new reader. The 350 is a great reader and there's no reason why you shouldn't enjoy it for several more years before having to get a new one. I use reading glasses all the time and you'll get used to them.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:39 AM   #11
DisneeReader

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Disnee, I agree with jt; reading glasses will make a big difference. Get a pair of inexpensive ones and reduce the font on your 350 back to your original settings. That should do the trick; and save you from having to spend big money for a new reader. The 350 is a great reader and there's no reason why you shouldn't enjoy it for several more years before having to get a new one. I use reading glasses all the time and you'll get used to them.
I already wear glasses. The problem is that my eyes (according to the Dr.) are just going through a period of change. I've had basically the same prescription for years but in the last year it's started to change rapidly. I'm assured that it will level off at some point and that it's not serious and by then I'll be in bifocals, but right now the challenge is to keep up without breaking the bank on new glasses. I have a fairly recent prescription as it is and it's already changed again. It's aggravating but I just have to wait it out.

Anyway, thanks all for your thoughts everyone. I did think about the nook, but due to an age old issue I had with BN customer service one time I will never buy anything from them again. I like the kindle and the reduced price on the 3g option is what has me seriously considering that. Plus, I get tons of GC's for amazon from various places so my books would be basically free. I guess I can order it and return it if I don't like it after a few days.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:58 AM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I already wear glasses. The problem is that my eyes (according to the Dr.) are just going through a period of change. I've had basically the same prescription for years but in the last year it's started to change rapidly. I'm assured that it will level off at some point and that it's not serious and by then I'll be in bifocals, but right now the challenge is to keep up without breaking the bank on new glasses. I have a fairly recent prescription as it is and it's already changed again. It's aggravating but I just have to wait it out.

Anyway, thanks all for your thoughts everyone. I did think about the nook, but due to an age old issue I had with BN customer service one time I will never buy anything from them again. I like the kindle and the reduced price on the 3g option is what has me seriously considering that. Plus, I get tons of GC's for amazon from various places so my books would be basically free. I guess I can order it and return it if I don't like it after a few days.
OK on the glasses.

Another Kindle to consider is the KSO WiFi. It's $25 cheaper ($114) than the 3G version. That's the Kindle I have and it's already paid for itself twice over from the exclusive offers I've taken advantage of. I really have no need for 3G, because WiFi is more than adequate for my needs.

Also; between now and the end of the year, Kindles will get the ability to check out library books just like the Nooks and Sonys and Kobos.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:45 AM   #13
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Maybe off-topic, but if you don't already have a book light, get one. It makes a huge difference to clarity.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:48 AM   #14
Ditchleyportrait
Fanatic
Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
OK on the glasses.

Another Kindle to consider is the KSO WiFi. It's $25 cheaper ($114) than the 3G version. That's the Kindle I have and it's already paid for itself twice over from the exclusive offers I've taken advantage of. I really have no need for 3G, because WiFi is more than adequate for my needs.

Also; between now and the end of the year, Kindles will get the ability to check out library books just like the Nooks and Sonys and Kobos.
unlimited 3g is worth 25 bucks.
Ditchleyportrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:56 AM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchleyportrait View Post
unlimited 3g is worth 25 bucks.
If you use it. I wouldn't; so I'd be wasting $25 for a useless feature.