Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-22-2019, 11:01 AM   #1
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Looks like Apple is overhauling their development to improve quality

Interesting MacRumors article "Apple Reportedly Overhauling Its Software Development Process Following Buggy Release of iOS 13" suggests that Apple is overhauling their development approach to improve quality after the buggy release of iOS 13 and iPadOS 13. They definitely need to. iPadOS 13 was seriously buggy and should have been released later after it was in much better shape.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 12:38 PM   #2
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Yea, I saw that report. I never ran into any issues myself, but I agree that the numerous updates was at the minimum gave the perception of a lack of quality control. I don't know that I agree that this approach will actually improve QC, but certainly the focus should improve things a bit.

I will say that there were some significant bugs in the betas fairly late in the processes. I'm not complaining because that's what you sign up for when you do beta's, but it was a bad sign. At the minimum it meant they were focused on major issues rather than cleaning up the cosmetic issues.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2019, 11:38 AM   #3
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Normally I have little say nice about Microsoft, but the one thing I agreed with their development strategy was to release the update/upgrade after it was ready rather than on some predetermined date. it pissed customers off, but at least they got a less terrible release that way. I know from experience working with software companies that trying to make deadlines that are chiseled into stone while marketing keeps agreeing to new features up to the end and management okays same, well that is a recipe for disaster. You almost never heard them agree to push a promised feature to the next development cycle. I’m not a programmer, but I watched those poor folks working around the clock the last several weeks before the final release trying to deliver the undeliverable. While it was usually the position of management that the fault was due to the programmers not getting the work done in a timely fashion. They rarely looked into the mirror and pointed the blame at themselves, where is really belonged. I don’t know wherein Apple's development issues lie, but I know they are not perceived and they need to be fixed. This has been happening a lot in the past several years. One of the macOS releases a few years ago had to have constant updates all year long because it was so bad. So bad in fact the Apple promised to focus on getting things right before tackling new features. A promise they never kept IMO. I for one, and I know other long time Apple users (as in over 30 years of using Apple software and hardware) who will never again be quick to adopt their new releases/updates. They have a systemic problem that needs to be fixed...
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 04:04 PM   #4
solitarywolf
Ink Drinker
solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle 2021, Ipad Pro, iPhone Pro
I had a discussion with a friend that put this in perspective for me. He says, there are deadlines and they have to decide what is ready and not ready for these deadline for correction on the next release. Along with this, Apple is already working on the next iOS for next year. The same teams that are fixing the current version are also working on the next version. This workload and hard deadlines are what is making them fail. There isn't enough time to be juggling this and have it all ready for release on a specified date.

In a perfect world, they would hold off on a release until its perfectly READY. But that costs money in our world when expectations of people want the new I-gadget with the new iOS. Its sad as I feel the quality of Apple iOS has dropped a lot since I first bought my iOS device(s).
solitarywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 04:22 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
iOS 13 is still not good. The battery dies way too fast compared to iOS 12.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2019, 01:01 PM   #6
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
What I detest, utterly, is the arbitrary decision they make about not signing older OSes. I hate iOS13. I want to go back to 12.4.1 which for me, at least, was bug free. Can’t. Apple should allow people to downgrade when a release is known to be buggy. Its just nasty not to allow that.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 07:20 PM   #7
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
installed ipados 13.3 last night; still NO "file sharing".

When I run ipados "files" app and select 'browse', I see 'calibre companion' as selectable BUT when I do select/click/touch it, I get an error claiming the it cannot communicate with the helper application.

What is the 'helper' app & which version?
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 01:06 PM   #8
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I’m ticked off with the recent update to WatchOS which has decimated battery life. I’ve gone from 2days per charge down to less than 24 hours. Seriously annoyed.
Old 12-16-2019, 02:12 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
I’m ticked off with the recent update to WatchOS which has decimated battery life. I’ve gone from 2days per charge down to less than 24 hours. Seriously annoyed.
When iOS 13 first came out, my Apple Watch didn't last as long as it normally did. That was fixed in iOS 13.1.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 06:51 PM   #10
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
How odd. Have you tried resetting it with a hard reset. I've found that a serious degradation on battery life usually is caused by an app that has gone off the deep end, frequently trying to hit the network. My Apple Watch is currently at 74% battery at 6:44 at night with standard use after the most recent update, so I don't think there is a general issue with the update.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 11:05 PM   #11
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
How odd. Have you tried resetting it with a hard reset. I've found that a serious degradation on battery life usually is caused by an app that has gone off the deep end, frequently trying to hit the network. My Apple Watch is currently at 74% battery at 6:44 at night with standard use after the most recent update, so I don't think there is a general issue with the update.
Yes, hard reset, Un-pair/re-pair (twice), remove all apps I dont need or want (none that I wasnt using before all this)... Definitely a reduction in B-life since the WatchOS update. (Watch 5). I’ve decided not to fret about it. I just have to remember to stick it on charge in the evening so I dont get caught short overnight (I use a couple of sleep apps)