Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 10-25-2019, 12:15 AM   #31
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsmile View Post
This is duplicate.
William?

What are you talking about, please?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 01:21 AM   #32
slowsmile
Witchman
slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android S5
I'm not talking about anything in particular, Hitch. If you post on the wrong thread, you have to write something to get rid of it and it won't allow a single word. Hence, "This is duplicate". MR is a great forum, but it still amazes me that MR won't allow people to delete there own posts.

Last edited by slowsmile; 10-25-2019 at 01:26 AM.
slowsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2019, 09:19 AM   #33
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsmile View Post
I'm not talking about anything in particular, Hitch. If you post on the wrong thread, you have to write something to get rid of it and it won't allow a single word. Hence, "This is duplicate". MR is a great forum, but it still amazes me that MR won't allow people to delete there own posts.
LOL, I don't think I ever realized that. Alrighty, then. Thanks for the clarification.

Hitch
Old 02-23-2020, 05:38 PM   #34
Kamikuza
Connoisseur
Kamikuza began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
Just to be clear -- KPF is completely useless for putting on your kindle? You still have to convert it to something else to side load it?

Discovered that a few of my re-editied epub books are now showing up as having "enhanced typesetting" (HOW?!?!?!) but I still need to Hyphenate in calbre then convert to mobi to get the "enhancements" I want...
Kamikuza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 08:09 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikuza View Post
Just to be clear -- KPF is completely useless for putting on your kindle? You still have to convert it to something else to side load it?

Discovered that a few of my re-editied epub books are now showing up as having "enhanced typesetting" (HOW?!?!?!) but I still need to Hyphenate in calbre then convert to mobi to get the "enhancements" I want...
To get any enhancements, you do not want Mobi. Just pretend that Mobi no longer exists. Go for KF8 or KFX. But just drop Mobi like it was radioactive.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2020, 10:09 PM   #36
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:

Yes, KPF is useless for reading on your own device.

I honestly don't think that Amazon's going to drop MOBI any time soon--by which I mean the combo MOBI, the KF8/KF7 combination "mobi" file. They have too many products that use it to this day. If you want Enhanced Typesetting, you'll have to go through the gyrations to get a KFX file for that.

Hitch
Old 02-24-2020, 03:17 AM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Yes, KPF is useless for reading on your own device.

I honestly don't think that Amazon's going to drop MOBI any time soon--by which I mean the combo MOBI, the KF8/KF7 combination "mobi" file. They have too many products that use it to this day. If you want Enhanced Typesetting, you'll have to go through the gyrations to get a KFX file for that.

Hitch
The combo Mobi has always been a bad idea. The real Mobi should have been dumped by now and then the combi Mobi can also go.
Old 02-24-2020, 03:55 AM   #38
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
If you want Enhanced Typesetting, you'll have to go through the gyrations to get a KFX file for that.
For testing purposes you can generate a .kfx file with jhowell's excellent Calibre KFX Output plugin. The output should be pretty much identical to the KFX files that Amazon will deliver, because the plugin uses Kindle Previewer to generate the file.
BTW, KFX Files generated by the KFX Output plugin can also be sideloaded to Kindle for iOS apps.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 08:44 AM   #39
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
For testing purposes you can generate a .kfx file with jhowell's excellent Calibre KFX Output plugin. The output should be pretty much identical to the KFX files that Amazon will deliver, because the plugin uses Kindle Previewer to generate the file.
The plugin has a command line interface that I recommend using if you want the cleanest conversion from your source file to KFX with no manipulation of formatting by calibre's conversion pipeline. The result will be very close to what you get if you publish the book on Amazon.

The plugin CLI can also convert directly from KPF to KFX. It does not need to make use of the Kindle previewer for that operation since it is just repackaging the file in that case.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 02:19 AM   #40
Kamikuza
Connoisseur

I tried the KFX plugin but it messed with custom font sizes in headings for one, and that was a deal-breaker. All I really want for myself is hyphenation, and that plugin plus KP3 works perfectly, so ... stuck with .mobi.

I was hoping if KP was suddenly going to allow output of "enhanced typesetting" I could save myself a step or two...
Old 02-25-2020, 10:15 AM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I tried the KFX plugin but it messed with custom font sizes in headings for one, and that was a deal-breaker. All I really want for myself is hyphenation, and that plugin plus KP3 works perfectly, so ... stuck with .mobi.

I was hoping if KP was suddenly going to allow output of "enhanced typesetting" I could save myself a step or two...
Don't stick with Mobi. Stick with KF8 and use the Hyphenate This! plugin. KF8 works much better such as custom fonts.
Old 02-25-2020, 03:17 PM   #42
Kamikuza
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Don't stick with Mobi. Stick with KF8 and use the Hyphenate This! plugin. KF8 works much better such as custom fonts.
Kindle Previewer can't output KF8 though can it?

Still messes with all my heading sizes and screws with the layout

mobi is fine for me.

Last edited by Kamikuza; 02-25-2020 at 03:22 PM.
Old 02-25-2020, 03:37 PM   #43
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
I tried the KFX plugin but it messed with custom font sizes in headings for one, and that was a deal-breaker.
I've never had any problems with the KFX Output plugin. How do you style your headings and how were they changed?
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 04:35 PM   #44
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Kindle Previewer uses kindlegen to produce a Master MOBI that includes the older MOBI7 and newer KF8 in a single file. Kindle devices and apps will use the KF8 portion if they support that format or the MOBI7 portion if they do not.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 04:52 PM   #45
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:

Still messes with all my heading sizes and screws with the layout

mobi is fine for me.
Can you elaborate on that? Why KFX is "messing up" your heading sizes? Can you show us? I'm genuinely curious as to what's happening here.

Don't get me wrong--I personally prefer mobi, as a bookmaker. But I'm not clear on why KFX would mess up your heading sizes. What's your CSS?

Hitch