Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 02-07-2020, 08:25 AM   #361
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekec View Post
Are there plans to support Python 3?
For plugins that are no longer supported by the original developer, such as this one, volunteers may contribute changes as needed. Typically someone who relies on the plugin will step in. You could do so if you want and are able.

Discussion of ongoing plugin porting efforts are in the thread: Attn plugin devs: porting to python 3. Plugin porting status is in the thread: List of PIs to be ported to Python 3
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 09:48 PM   #362
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Beta - Translatable and Python 3

Here is a beta of the plugin that should be Python 3 compatible. It isn't one of the plugins I usually use, but, I'd started the basic Python 3 work to remove errors when testing other plugins. I haven't done much testing, but, it seems to get ISBNs from the PDFs and ePubs in my test library.

While doing this, I have also done the work to make the plugin translatable. The attached file "default.po.txt" should be renamed to "default.po" and used for the translations. I recommend using a tool such as POEdit to do the editing. If anyone does, please post the translated .po file or PM it to me.

If anyone tries this, please report any issues here. And success as well.

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-21-2020 at 05:47 AM. Reason: Remove attachments - now in the release
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2020, 12:14 AM   #363
zeekec
zeekec began at the beginning.

Device: None
Seems to be working. Thanks!

Are you hosting your fork somewhere?
zeekec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 01:25 AM   #364
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekec View Post
Seems to be working. Thanks!
Thanks for the report.
Quote:
Are you hosting your fork somewhere?
I don't consider this a fork. When I'm happy the plugin is working, I will get a moderator to update the first post. And all the source is in the plugin, and with the number of changes that have been made, hosting it somewhere isn't that useful.
Old 02-10-2020, 01:48 PM   #365
bravosx
Connoisseur
bravosx began at the beginning.

Device: Prestigio PER3464B, Onyx Lynx, Lenovo S5000 i Tab4-8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
If anyone does, please post the translated .po file or PM it to me.
Attached is a Polish translation file. I made the translation using POEdit. Please check and use if necessary to modify the plugin.

Best regards
bravosx

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-21-2020 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Remove attachments - now in the release
bravosx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2020, 11:41 PM   #366
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravosx View Post
Attached is a Polish translation file. I made the translation using POEdit. Please check and use if necessary to modify the plugin.
Thanks. I'll get it released in the next couple of days.
Old 02-17-2020, 12:12 AM   #367
qwertyuio
Enthusiast
qwertyuio began at the beginning.

Device: none
Here is an update of the python 3 beta to include the ability to use OCR to get the ISBN from scanned PDF files. I've tested it on Windows and Linux. It requires Tesseract to be installed for the OCR to work. If it is not installed the plugin will work the same as before.

Windows binaries of Tesseract are here. You will need to add it to your PATH as the Windows Tesseract installer does not do this.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Extract ISBN-ocr.zip (32.4 KB, 244 views)
qwertyuio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 10:06 AM   #368
Garfield7
Garfield7 began at the beginning.

Device: Tolino Vision 3 HD
Hi,

here´s a german translation...

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-21-2020 at 06:33 PM. Reason: removed the translation, in latest plugin
Garfield7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 11:53 AM   #369
Thomas_AR
Zealot
Thomas_AR began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Nice new function with the ocr support.
You beta doesn't work on my Calibre 3.48. Still on Windows 7, that why i am on 3.48
Will stay with the old version of this plugin.

Thomas

Last edited by Thomas_AR; 05-03-2020 at 12:03 PM.
Thomas_AR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 09:29 PM   #370
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield7 View Post
Hi,

here´s a german translation...
Thanks for that. I'd completely forgotten to handle the beta version. I think part of it was not being sure of the best way to handle @qwertyuio addition.
Old 05-03-2020, 09:31 PM   #371
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas_AR View Post
Nice new function with the ocr support.
You beta doesn't work on my Calibre 3.48. Still on Windows 7, that why i am on 3.48
Will stay with the old version of this plugin.
Did only @qwertyuio beta fail, or mine as well? These both have Python 3 support, and I did test my changes with calibre 3. This isn't a plugin I really use, so I could easily have missed something.
Old 05-04-2020, 11:06 AM   #372
Thomas_AR
Zealot
Thomas_AR began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Quote:
Did only @qwertyuio beta fail, or mine as well? These both have Python 3 support, and I did test my changes with calibre 3. This isn't a plugin I really use, so I could easily have missed something.
Just testet yours @davidfor.
Working well on my "old" calibre. Updating the plugin without uninstalling version 1.44

The beta version of @qwertyuio doesn't even show up in the right-click menu

Happy user
Thomas_AR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 09:37 PM   #373
nico1989
nico1989 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Here is a beta of the plugin that should be Python 3 compatible. It isn't one of the plugins I usually use, but, I'd started the basic Python 3 work to remove errors when testing other plugins. I haven't done much testing, but, it seems to get ISBNs from the PDFs and ePubs in my test library.

While doing this, I have also done the work to make the plugin translatable. The attached file "default.po.txt" should be renamed to "default.po" and used for the translations. I recommend using a tool such as POEdit to do the editing. If anyone does, please post the translated .po file or PM it to me.

If anyone tries this, please report any issues here. And success as well.
There is a fix that could be applied to the plugin. The regular expression to identify ISBNs(file scan.py) could be changed to this:

RE_ISBN = re.compile(
r'97[89]{1}(?:-?\d){10}|\d{9}[0-9X]{1}|'
r'[-0-9X]{10,16}', re.I | re.M | re.S)

I try modifying and zipping it again with this change. But the new zip gives me an error when I import it.

Could this fix be applied?
nico1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 03:16 AM   #374
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nico1989 View Post
There is a fix that could be applied to the plugin. The regular expression to identify ISBNs(file scan.py) could be changed to this:

RE_ISBN = re.compile(
r'97[89]{1}(?:-?\d){10}|\d{9}[0-9X]{1}|'
r'[-0-9X]{10,16}', re.I | re.M | re.S)

I try modifying and zipping it again with this change. But the new zip gives me an error when I import it.

Could this fix be applied?
No, I don't think that is a good idea. That regex is looking for any string of characters that might be an ISBN. Once they are found, the plugin is using core calibre routines to check if it is actually an ISBN. I didn't create that regex, but, I assume it was done from experience of how inconsistently ISBNs can be formatted.

And my apologies for not responding to this earlier. I've just realised I had a few beta's out there that I should actually released, and had forgotten about this.
Old 06-21-2020, 03:52 AM   #375
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyuio View Post
Here is an update of the python 3 beta to include the ability to use OCR to get the ISBN from scanned PDF files. I've tested it on Windows and Linux. It requires Tesseract to be installed for the OCR to work. If it is not installed the plugin will work the same as before.

Windows binaries of Tesseract are here. You will need to add it to your PATH as the Windows Tesseract installer does not do this.
My apologies for not responding to this before. I was thinking that I had commented, but, I suspect I looked at your version and then put off replying until I had some time. And you can see what happened

I can see that this should be a good idea. But, I'm very much against hardcoding external dependencies like this. And especially then requiring they are in the path. It would be much better to make the executable a configurable. And maybe have an option to turn it on and off. But, maybe I am over thinking this.

In any case, as I said above, this isn't a plugin I use. I mainly did the Python 3 changes because it was installed and the errors when starting calibre was hiding other things. As there weren't many changes, I made them, and added the translations. Both needed relatively minor changes. And beyond some basic testing, I haven't used it. So, I'm going to release my Python 3 compatible and then step back. I'll let people who do use the plugin decide the future of it. And yes, that means I'm chickening out