Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-26-2020, 07:59 PM   #661
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Assuming you take the same routes, set Keep to trigger a notify at an open air location a short distance away from where you're going - work/home etc.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 09:04 PM   #662
AnotherCat
Me
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Anything
3M do a good solution .

Just as an aside, I would strongly suspect that Google Keep uses the Estimated Position and the GPS is not used due to the heavy energy demand of the GPS receiver. But that has no influence on the problem but may be interesting to have Google Maps running at the same time so the GPS receiver is enabled and see if that improves the Keep update rate????
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 10:37 AM   #663
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I hadn't thought about the app checking the location on a schedule - that makes sense. (I am not a very tech-y person.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Assuming you take the same routes, set Keep to trigger a notify at an open air location a short distance away from where you're going - work/home etc.

BR
My parking lots at home and work are open-air and the buildings in my city are not skyscraper-tall (the tallest one in town is maybe 20 stories, most are under 10). Of course I do live in the mountains so phone reception is always trickier here and could perhaps have an impact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
3M do a good solution .

Just as an aside, I would strongly suspect that Google Keep uses the Estimated Position and the GPS is not used due to the heavy energy demand of the GPS receiver. But that has no influence on the problem but may be interesting to have Google Maps running at the same time so the GPS receiver is enabled and see if that improves the Keep update rate????
That's an interesting idea - I'll try that sometime and see if it makes a difference.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 01:02 PM   #664
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I hadn't thought about the app checking the location on a schedule - that makes sense. (I am not a very tech-y person.)
I'm missing something here.

If the problem is remembering to put your parking tag in the window when you arrive at the office, two questions:

1. What happens if you forget? Who/what checks for it? What penalties might ensue if it isn't there?

2. Where to you keep it when it's not in use? Is there a reason you can't just leave it in the window (or sitting on top of your dashboard where you can't help but see it and stick it where it needs to be when you park?)

I'm all in favor of technology to assist with problems like this, but this sounds like it really needs a no tech solution.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 02:30 PM   #665
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
I'm missing something here.

If the problem is remembering to put your parking tag in the window when you arrive at the office, two questions:

1. What happens if you forget? Who/what checks for it? What penalties might ensue if it isn't there?

2. Where to you keep it when it's not in use? Is there a reason you can't just leave it in the window (or sitting on top of your dashboard where you can't help but see it and stick it where it needs to be when you park?)

I'm all in favor of technology to assist with problems like this, but this sounds like it really needs a no tech solution.
______
Dennis
1. If the permit is not there I could get an expensive parking ticket. The lot is managed by a private parking lot company.

2. I don't leave the permit up for two reasons:

i) It's a hang tag for the rearview mirror but is very loose. If I drive with it hanging from the mirror and go over a speed bump or around a sharp corner the tag flies off and inevitably ends up someplace hard to retrieve, like way under the seat. It's also coated in slippery plastic so can't just leave it lying out on the dash or seat or it will slide off.

ii) The tag clearly states the address of where I work in print large enough to be read by anyone walking past my car and I don't necessarily want to provide this information to everyone everywhere I go.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 08:08 PM   #666
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post

My parking lots at home and work are open-air and the buildings in my city are not skyscraper-tall (the tallest one in town is maybe 20 stories, most are under 10). Of course I do live in the mountains so phone reception is always trickier here and could perhaps have an impact.
My thinking was that the time taken to travel the 'short distance' from where you're going would provide Keep with enough time to synch with the GPS - the 'open air' would have come from seeing Google Maps losing its way when driving in tunnels

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote