Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-25-2020, 04:13 PM   #76
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I think besides series or stand-alone we need a 3rd term to describe the type of book that makes sense on its own, but has connections to or could spoil other books if you read it first.
I would tweak that definition to say that if it has connections to previous books, they don't matter if they don't spoil them.

But I do always try to read books in order; the character development and back story is missing otherwise. But typically it's never stuff that matters to the current book's plot.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 04:13 PM   #77
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I think besides series or stand-alone we need a 3rd term to describe the type of book that makes sense on its own, but has connections to or could spoil other books if you read it first.
I agree.
That's part of a story verse that has developing characters and a timeline but can be read first or out of order. Perhaps only mild spoilers.

Wheel of Time comes to mind as something that is really just one long book, hardly even a series. The fact it might have been better as 4 to 6 books and the author died before finishing it are separate issues.

With POD paper and also eBooks it's irresponsible now for a publisher to have parts of a series unavailable. Though obviously more complicated if the publisher has changed.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 05:40 PM   #78
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post

Do you have to watch all nine Star Wars 'main' movies to watch The Mandalorian or Rogue One?
well....no.

Will you have a richer experience having watched the main movies before watching the Mandalorian or Rogue One? Absolutely.

Without that, Baby Yoda is just "Baby Alien" or "the child". And Rogue One is a better experience knowing what the Death Star is in the first place. Vader's appearance at the end would be just another bad guy with a laser sword without the context of the other movies.
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 05:57 PM   #79
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
Certainly no need to watch the Phantom Menace Hasbro Toys provided $100M
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 07:22 PM   #80
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Certainly no need to watch the Phantom Menace Hasbro Toys provided $100M
I get what you're saying. Honestly, I don't care for Star Wars regardless. But I don't think your second sentence alone would justify your first sentence. Of course Hasbro would be heavily invested in new Star Wars. Their large investment into the movie wouldn't be enough to justify it as a bad movie. Though in this case, yeah, it is a bad movie, the badness is squarely on the writing rather than due to Hasbro's investment in it.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 06:25 AM   #81
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Manga
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post

I've not read Discworld, just not interested.
Care to tell us how you wouldn't try Discworld? Because that stance is an anomaly here and mostly everywhere else.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 08:03 AM   #82
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennD View Post
well....no.

Will you have a richer experience having watched the main movies before watching the Mandalorian or Rogue One? Absolutely.

Without that, Baby Yoda is just "Baby Alien" or "the child". And Rogue One is a better experience knowing what the Death Star is in the first place. Vader's appearance at the end would be just another bad guy with a laser sword without the context of the other movies.
I agree. I've seen the movies, but haven't watched the animated series (The Clone Wars). My understanding is that there were certain references to events in the animated series in the Mandalorian. Can't say that it ruined my experience to find out there were things that I "missed". So really it's a case of it depends.

Sometimes foreknowledge can change an experience, sometimes it's just more of an Easter egg, i.e. a character mentioned in passing. Jack Benny's To Be or not To Be (1942) was a funny movie. Mel Brooks remake (1983) was much more poignant movie. It's actually one of my favorite Mel Brooks movies even though it wasn't a big hit in the theater, in part because it wasn't what people expected from Mel Brooks.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote