Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-13-2020, 01:16 PM   #1
dow
Addict
dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-505
fine tuning the mapping of taps on screen

It appears that my Forma is not correctly reporting where I'm tapping the screen. I purchased a copy of the World English Bible from Kobo to keep on my Forma, and on the surface, all looked great. Page one has links to each of the books, and the first page of each book has links to each chapter in that book along with a link back to the list of books. However, where you tap on the links seems to be extremely touchy. It looks like, in order to go to a particular book or a specific chapter of that book, you almost have to tap on the link above the one you want to follow. So let's say for example that i want to go to the book of Numbers. the Contents page has the books of the bible listed in six columns, and that puts Numbers right above 2nd Samuel. When I tap on Numbers, it goes to 2nd Samuel. To go to Numbers, I have to tap ABOVE the word Numbers, not ON it.

I'm seeing the same behavior on another book from Kobo, "BRITISH MYSTERIES Boxed Set".

Is there a way to verify where the reader thinks I'm tapping vs. where I'm actually tapping, and if so is there a way to adjust the mapping so that the two match up?

FYI, I'm running version 4.19.14123.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Dow

Last edited by dow; 01-13-2020 at 01:19 PM.
dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 11:13 AM   #2
dow
Addict
dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Fakiol. I remember when I got my first tablet, A color Nook, that you could fine-tune the touch screen mapping. I don't recall if it was a setting in the nook itself, or if it was an android setting or what. Regardless, the screen would show an X, and you tapped it, and then another one would show up elsewhere on the screen. A few of these, and the touchpad was calibrated. I wish there were something like that on my forma. Granted, the issue isn't something that I deal with on everything i read, but it is annoying when I run across it.
Old 02-20-2020, 11:18 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by fakiol View Post
I've tried a few and noticed no difference; I don't know either how any of these apps (especially non-root ones) could tweak the gesture detection mechanism system-wide.
Tried a few what? Different Kobo Formas? Different books? Or different devices?

If it was other Formas, I'm surprised. I haven't heard of any issues with the calibration of the touch on these devices. The only Kobo device that I can think of that does have problems is the Aura ONE. I can't get at the Forma at the moment to try any of these books. But, my wife uses it and she hasn't complained. Also, if it is the device, are the issues with the touch calibration elsewhere in the UI?

But, it sort of sounds like you are saying that the book has problems on other devices. If so, it might be something weird in the coding of the links in the book. But, I can't think of what.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 11:33 AM   #4
dow
Addict

David, I haven't had an opportunity to try the books on my other reader. I've got an Aura HD that I can try it on. As far as the UI itself, I believe that it's okay. I suspect that you may be right and that there may be an issue with the books themselves. I'll try to check and update here after I do.
Old 02-20-2020, 12:31 PM   #5
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
I've had this problem for a while, with several F/Ws, and several devices, and several books.

It is very annoying: as far as I remember, every time I have a densely packed table of contents with each line a link to a chapter or whatever, I must click almost on the link above, but it takes several tries, which means a back and forth - or rather a forth and back.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 12:41 PM   #6
dow
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
...I must click almost on the link above, but it takes several tries, which means a back and forth - or rather a forth and back.
That's my experience as well. Good to see that I'm not the only one losing my mind around here.
Old 02-20-2020, 01:11 PM   #7
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
To see where it thinks you're tapping, try using the Sketch Pad in beta features.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 01:13 PM   #8
dow
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
To see where it thinks you're tapping, try using the Sketch Pad in beta features.
Now, THERE'S a great idea! Thanks geek1011!