Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-11-2020, 05:02 AM   #1
PierreFgs
PierreFgs began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara
How far can you go in customizing Kobo e-reader?

Hello everyone,

I'm new in this forum. In advance, thanks a lot for your help that will help me a lot on my project.

I want to use a Kobo e-reader for a personal project: I want to convert the reader into a very "dumb" smartphone (calendar, weather, notes, time, books of course...)

1st question: based on your experience, do you think it's do-able ? If yes, what e-reader would you recommend ?

2nd question: what language do you recommend ? I'm already knowledgeable in Python and it would be great if I could use it.

3rd question: what would be the best way to start with, apart from digging into this forum ? Any tutorial you are aware of ? Similar project on github?
So far, I hardly found anything.

Thanks a lot for your help!
Pierre (I'm French )
PierreFgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:52 AM   #2
NamKK
NamKK began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kindle Oasis 2019
I don't know any of these, but I would love to if I can read my magazines on Kobo. It is terrible to read on smartphones after paying so much for those expensive paywalls.
NamKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 11:26 PM   #3
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
1. Yes, and I recommend an Clara or an older used Glo HD or Aura 2. Specifically, avoid the ones with waterproofing or without access to the internal memory.

2. C++ with Qt (use NiLuJe's toolchains; I've also dockerized them if you don't have an up-to-date libc), Python with Qt, HTML+JS in a browser, or Rust (with eink stuff based on Plato). Go also works (it's what I usually use), but there aren't any pre-made libraries that I know of.

3. Just play around with stuff over SSH to begin (especially if you aren't familiar with Linux yet). Afterwards, look at Plato (don't worry about the funny symbols near variables, those are for the borrow checker). If you're planning on using Qt, you won't have to bother with much of this.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote